Disc Wheel Studs

-

djwhog

Reaction score
OK, I need to get a set of 10 studs all RH for a small bolt pattern 70 Dart 4 piston set of disc rotors. The tpte of disc that are non swedged hubs and the studs pull the hub and rotor toghter.

I have a set that was sold to me, they are the correct length and thread, but they are to large on the sholder and I can not drive them in or pull them in with nuts and washers.

thanks guys for the source help in advance!

the dorman catalog has them. your local auto store can look them up.

Thaks Red i will ask again... Would you happen to have the part number??? These guys out here are very dense...Ford country.. ya know..

610130. that is exact size replacement. hopefully your holes will still take it.

OK I had all new studs, had bought them years ago. Turns out that when I ordered the new studs 2 days ago becasue I thought I had the wrong ones, they are the same Dorman studs I already have.

The issues are they are very snug. Most times a drift, punch or double nut impact will pull them in. I can not.

When I complete pulled all the studs out I think they are going into the hub past the knurling, ut there is a shoulder the last about 3/8" that is larger yet. That is what is stopping them from going all the way in. So are these newer studs wrong or what? The ones i have are 2 days old and 6 years old, all have the same shoulder and same isues. Wont go all the way in.

I have not tried a press yet. Maybe that will work, just do not know if I should put that much pressure on them to drive them in.

Any ideas? please help...thanks

They should not go in that hard I would be a little leary of using the large force of a press, it should not really be required.

They should not go in that hard I would be a little leary of using the large force of a press, it should not really be required.

Yep kinda what i am thinking too. I have used a press before on many other studs over the years, but it should go without to much tonage.

I will try the press and if it is much to stiff I will back off, i do not want to crack a hub.

Other thought would be to drill the hub a few .000s large for each stud, but that is a last resort and needs to be done evenly. if I have to go to that level i will have my machine shop guy do it because the rotor and hub face need to be true as do the stud holes so that there is no offset.

thanks.. Anyone else have this issue on these rotor hubs?

a press is the correct way to do all studs. if you impact them in are you using anti seize compound? a press is not going to warp the hub unless you dont support it correctly.

Well took them to my bud at the machine shop. We were up to 7 tons on the press and they were still about 3/16" from being seated. We both ageed since the pressure kept going up and not leveling off that those hubs might crack. So we pulled all the studs out. Chucked then in a lathe and turn just .002 off of the knurling.

We then were able to press them in with 3-5 tons of pressure. They are very snug. I bought 2 boxes of studs and inside miced the hubs. Apears that the Dorman studs are a little larger then they were back in the day.

anyway we have success! Yeah..:wav:

-
Back