Discount Tire just lost my business

-
Okay, so how do you read the date codes on tires then?
Whenever I have bought new tires, I have never seen the dates that the tires were actually manufactured written down on the invoice.
If they are so anal about dates, this should be done. It seems that whatever is to their advantage they go with. I bet they sell tires that are over a year old and don't say anything.
I also bet that they would try to cover their asses and say that they were stored properly, so they are within full right of selling them as new.
What about this point?

Get new tires.

I had an old tire blow up in my basement a couple years back, just sitting there being stored, the shrapnel knocked over a shelf of auto parts...sounded like a shot gun blast while we were watching tv upstairs.

I know a 50 year old lady now living in a nursing home because her tire blew out, then her car hit a concrete highway overpass as a result.

Paul

Whenever I have bought new tires, I have never seen the dates that the tires were actually manufactured written down on the invoice.
If they are so anal about dates, this should be done. It seems that whatever is to their advantage they go with. I bet they sell tires that are over a year old and don't say anything.
I also bet that they would try to cover their asses and say that they were stored properly, so they are within full right of selling them as new.
What about this point?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11

Cast into the sidewall there is a oval shaped area with six numbers inside. That is the date code, it gives the month, day and year of manufacture as required by the DOT.

Sounds like a good Idea to read the date codes when buying new tires. I have heard of "New" tires that have been on the shelf for several years. The last time I got 4 new tires,3 were of the same date,,1 was 2 years older.

I stopped going to Discount Tire when I was buying new tires for my truck. they wanted to sell me street tires, I wanted all terrain off road tires. They did not have any in stock.

I went to Goodyear and they had a choice of all terrain tires for me to choose from. I bought a good set of heavy duty sidewall all terrain Kelley tires and they are great.

I like to go to Goodyear for my tires now. They may be a little more expensive, but I can get what I want, not the "tire of the week" that Discount Tire is pushing....

Now I'm worried about my trailer. Just settled on a new home and I am moving my trailer for the first time in 4 years. Should I be worried about flat spots, how old it too old for a tire?

Your two cars are 4,500 miles apart? WHEW! :wink:

The Taurus I bought in 07, I have put 22,000 miles on. Recently I have been driving more. But not a whole lot more and now I am splitting it between the two cars

Small tire shops around here must not check as closely. Back in 2005 or 06, I had a set of tires, that I bought in 1994, mounted on rims. They didn't say a word. I should look as see what the date code is on them as I still have them.

I had a problem with Wal-Mart.
I have an open trailer that doesn't get much use, so the tire tread looked new,but they were coming apart.
This trailer uses Ford pick -up steel wheels.
Went to buy a cheap set of tires for it & the guy asked me what they were off of, since they were a carry in.
Told him they came off the trailer. He stopped what he was doing & told me that company policy doesn't allow them to install a P series tire on a trailer.
Now this trailer only has 3500LB axles on it.
So be it, I pulled my pants up, cussed a little bit & left.
I did go ahead & install trailer purpose tires on it @ another tire shop.
I do know this, just because you write something down & make a customer sign it, doesn't exempt you from liability.
If the customer is warned & you proceed to do the job halfway, they will come back on you.
I deal with heavy equipment, when I quote it, they either do all of it or none of it.

I salvaged a set of 17 yr old Coopers from the pile of parts the guy had when I bought my fish from his widow. Bought a set of 15" x 8" wheel vintiques and just wanted to see how well the 255's (maybe they were 265's but doesn't matter) would fill my wheel well. It was hell getting the regular tire shop to mount them but they did. They lived through several big burnouts before the 275 DR's showed up.

The guy who works at the other tire shop I now use kept the Copper takeoffs for himself. LOL, I had to bleach out the mold from the inside from where they were sitting out in the weather for years unmounted.

I have a friend at the other tire shop who will mount anything for me. One set is on a pair of old wheels and they had to basically glue the bead in to hold air. Using them to oll the fish while it gets bodywork.

The last 3 or 4 numbers are the week and year of manufacture. They went to 4 numbers at the year 2000. Before that it was 3. Therefore, a dot number 2004 means it was manufactured the 20th week of 2004. 398 means the 39th week of 98 ... or 88.

And according to most tire manufacturers, the best tire should on the drive wheels. If the customer asks for a rotate that we don't think is necessary, we tell them. If they say rotate anyway, we rotate.

Personally, I prefer to buy tires from www.tirerack.com and have a local mechanic install / balance them for me.

When I go through Goodyear, I can buy the road hazard warranty for the tires. I did that for my truck tires and within one thousand miles drove over a huge bolt that went through the tread. It was too big of a hole to patch, so they warranteed my tire and I just was charged for the warranty for the new tire. The set of four tires and the warranty originally costed just under $900. It felt good to have the warranty when I got the new tire.

Went to Wal Mart to get a spare when I did the scarebird brakes (old spare was 13" and wouldn't work with discs). told them I wanted a cheap 14" for a spare, they asked what size, I said anything around a 205/70, "have to have a size" I walked over to the display looked at the sizes in their cheapest tires and picked a size then told them that size.
My Dakota was overdue for an oil change and I was pressed for time, so I took it to Wal Mart. they tell me the left turn signal doesn't work(always did before)looked at the paper and it says a wiring problem with left turn signal. The ignition switch was always finicky, I had to have the key in just right or it wouldn't turn(felt like using the wrong key), after they changed oil ,it turns, but is now very stiff and won't turn to accessory, and one speaker sounds like it blown(that could be coincidence, I suppose). After that I will never go to Wal Mart automotive again.

Learn to mount them yourself. A hammer and two tire irons.

Learn to mount them yourself. A hammer and two tire irons.

I busted a few tires when I was a kid. I would not dream of doing it without a setup like Oldmanmopar has. If I was a kid again and needed to do it with a hammer and two tire irons, I still would not do that.

They lost my business a few years ago, too. I had a year old set of tires that I wanted to have rotated and balanced on my Ford 500, but since the fronts were slightly feathered (I needed an alignment) they said they were too dangerous to even work on. Tried to sell me a new set and told me that under no circumstances would they honor the free rotate/balance service. Went down the street to Tires Plus, no problem. Still on the car today with no problems.

I'm fine with the no free rotate/balance since I obviously let the alignment go too long, but first they were too dangerous for their techs to even touch while rotating them, but they'd remove them and install new no problem? Told the manager as much and he just shrugged.

i actually love the job these guys do at my local discount tire...i went in to buy a set of 6 tires for my 04 dually and they only had 4 tires..they were goodyear tires...and i asked what could we do to get the other 2 tires. they said they could order them from odessa and have them shipped and that it would take about 4 days. i informed them i would be going out of town for 2 weeks in just 2 days. so these guys went to the local goodyear shop and spent more then what they charged me for 2 tires just to keep me as a customer. needless to say 2500 for a set of 6 tires they didnt wanna lose my business and i have been coming back to them ever since.

-
Back