Disk brake swap/tire lean

-

ewolfe

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I have performed the single piston bbp disk brake swap on my 72 Dart. Everything seemed to go together well enough until I let the car down off the jack stands. I did swap out the upper control arms as well.

The passenger wheel now leans WAY in at the top. The drivers' side looks fine (for a car with no motor as the should lean in a touch anyway) but the passenger side is leaning in freakishly bad...what am I missing?

The car didn't have any issues prior to my pulling it apart, I just wanted disk brakes for my planned 383/TKO swap.

Can you guys offer some advise?

Thank you!

Unless a lower arm bushing and pivot pin are severly worn proper alignment should correct it.
I dont know what engine is in there. A slant throws more weight on the right side so counting turns on torsion bar adjust bolts doesn't work. Actually that doesn't work on any, just more wrong with a slant 6.

First thing I would do its get the engine back in it

I agree.

I just did mine six months ago, and we trailered it to the alignment shop. BOTH front tires were tipped in at the top. We set the ride height and then the alignment. All is good now.

Before

IMG_5597Medium.jpg

After

IMG_20120102_142929.jpg

Fair enough. I did not mark the cam bolts because I too plan to trailer to the alignment shot once the engine is back in. The car is originally a 318/auto, but I'm jamming a 383/TKO into it.

I hope its just the alignment. I wanted to ask you guys in case I was missing something as this is my first A body. Its been a lot of fun and has sparked my father to buy a Duster for cruising duties.

Thanks again for the input. I know it sounded silly, but the profound difference in the lean in of one side gave me cause for concern...It's crazy steep.

I'll keep you posted as I plan to drop the motor back in for trans fitment over the next couple of weeks.

...............and................when you get it aligned, the tires will STILL be in at the top, if you are running radial tires. You do NOT want to use the traditional factory alignment specs for radials:

COMPARE the suggested specs from Allpar with the factory specs from the 72 shop manual at the bottom

http://www.allpar.com/history/mopar/front-end-alignment.html

Suggested modern radial tire alignment:

289d4j7.jpg

Original specs:

10cstft.jpg

Thank you for the heads-up 67Dart273. I'll be handing my alignment shop the specs from allpar for sue.

Thanks again.

-
Back