Distributor Install & Initial Setup

-

canadian duster

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am finally within striking distancing of breaking in my 408. I'm looking for guidance on the initial timing setup and distributor install. From reading older posts, my manuals and hopefully common sense this is my plan, and just wanting to make sure i have no holes in this.

1. TDC is marked on dampener (checked with the rotor slot alignment on the distributor gear and TDC tool in sparkplug port)
  2. since i'm running a blower on this unit, i have a locked out MDS distributor and plan to run 28* timing (initial & total) based on recommendations from similar builds
  3. to accomplish this i was planning these steps:
  • install distributor with slot pointing at front driver intake bolt with engine at TDC
  • rotate crank CCW to 28* timing mark
  • adjust distributor back to having the rotor point at the intake bolt again
in my mind (not always a good barometer) this would get me to desired timing

It won't get you close. Only good way to do it is with a degreed balancer and a timing light.

Last edited:
Your method makes no sense. You can throw the drive gear and the dist. in any old way and time it wherever the rotor points. You can't point the rotor at the intake bolt because that depends on where the engine is rotated. If you are talking about the drive slot, that doesn't even matter because not all distributors have the tang located the same.

Bring the engine up to NOT to TDC but rather 28 BTC make sure it is on no1 compression.

Install the dist whichever way you want the rotor pointing, and make sure the body of the dist is clear of the blower/ obstructions and has "room to swing." Move the dist CW (retard) and slowly rotate it CCW (advance) until the points open or until the trigger device is centered. At this point the rotor should be approaching a tower. That is your no1. If that is not acceptable, "walk" the drive gear around until you get things positioned as you want.

If you get "pretty good" at this you can check dist. trigger point with key on. Move dist retarded, then move it advanced looking for a spark at a test gap. Reduce the "swing" and move it more slowly, and after maybe 3 or 4 "swings" you can tell pretty well where it triggers.

Last edited:
The snowflake approach: drop the no cap distributor in, since there is no vacuum pod, there is no clearance issue. Rotate the balancer to 28 BTDC on the #1 compression stroke. Back the distributor body CCW slowly to the closest reluctor until your MSD triggers n the leading edge of the reluctor, you'll hear a very little BZZZT from the box (6AL box, digital is unknown) That is your -28 firing point. Wire up cap in firing order from rotor pointing to #1 there. starting and Idle RPM should not advance the timing so this should be pretty close. Not sure what the 2500 RPM centrifugal advance will result in during cam break in but thats what the light is for.

You mentioned you have a blower, JUST ASKING.... Would it be best to brake the engine in with out a blower first? Don't want to backfire thru the blower.

there is no pumping action of a blower at idle unless its geared for low RPM. I would assume its safe unless a blower guy will tell me differently. Hey, Mad Max had his **** on an A/C clutch so it must pull right through without the vanes rotating....hahahaaaa. Just make sure the distributor wiring is correct.

-
Back