Distributor intermediate shaft drive pin.

-

VonCramp

Reaction score
I need to check to see if my distributor intermediate drive pin is broken. I am not sure how to go about checking this aside from pulling the distributor. Please tell me I do not have to tear the motor apart to check/repair this.

Do you have oil pressure?.......If you do, then the gear is still pinned....

take distributor cap off...crank motor...does the rotor turn...?

If you need to remove intermediate shaft...remove distributor...put flat tip screw driver in slot of intermediate shaft..and turn clockwise...the gear will walk up

The rotor was turning however, the oil pressure stays at zero for about ten seconds and then finally climbs to 60 psi while cranking. The timing appears to be all over the place. Car was running perfect one day. The very next day it cranked but wouldn't start. We advanced the distributor really far and it started bumping like it wanted to star but by that time it the vacuume advance was pointing 90 degrees from where it was originally positioned. I am getting a good spark still. Just won't run or even try to start unless super-advanced.

Pull the distributor, insert the biggest screwdriver you own. Twist on the driver and the gear should walk right up out of the helix. I don't remember how I got the last one out. I believe I just bent a couple of old bicycle spokes into a hook on the ends, and yanked it out.

The rotor was turning however, the oil pressure stays at zero for about ten seconds and then finally climbs to 60 psi while cranking. The timing appears to be all over the place. Car was running perfect one day. The very next day it cranked but wouldn't start. We advanced the distributor really far and it started bumping like it wanted to star but by that time it the vacuume advance was pointing 90 degrees from where it was originally positioned. I am getting a good spark still. Just won't run or even try to start unless super-advanced.

dont think the intermediate shaft is your problem..if the pin had sheared...you would have no oil pressure as the gear on the cam turns the gear on the intermediate shaft that turns the oil pump....if it was sheared no oil pressure

you might want to look to the front of the engine....timing chain....

dont think the intermediate shaft is your problem..if the pin had sheared...you would have no oil pressure as the gear on the cam turns the gear on the intermediate shaft that turns the oil pump....if it was sheared no oil pressure

you might want to look to the front of the engine....timing chain....

I'm inclined to agree this is the most likely problem

VonCramp, you should stick to one thread so we can maintain continuity...............

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=221593

I will check the pin and then the timing chain. I have a video of her running before she wouldn't start the next day. Can't figure out how to upload the darn thing though. At least I have a couple of crappy pictures posted now.

hit the go advance instead of quick reply...you will see upload photos...click that...another window will open ....they you will need to show it where the photos are ..

I started a new thread as to not convalute my original post. I went from asking what the problem was to wanting to remove the drive pin. It felt like the way to go with my problem.

-
Back