Distributor Problem

-

olddman

Reaction score
For some strange reason I decided to check the timing on my 1965 Dodge Dart GT with a hi-po 273 and Mopar electronic distributor. Disconnected vacuum hose from distributor and connected vacuum gauge to the line. Started engine and ran until operating temperature was reached. Idle speed is about 850 rpm. Connected timing light and the reading was 10 degrees with 7 inches of vacuum. Disconnected vacuum gauge and re-connected the vacuum line to the distributor. Increased engine speed to 3000 rpm and timing was 19 degrees. Disconnected line to distributor and connected vacuum gauge to the end of the vacuum line. Ran engine up to 3000 rpm and timing was 10 degrees with 20 inches of vacuum. Tried to adjust vacuum advance and was able to get reading of 22 degrees with 20 inches of vacuum at 3000 rpm. Did I go through the right steps? Do I need to rebuild distributor? Have never rebuilt this type of distributor and do not know what to replace. Would like some help with this.

Im not a expert but dont worry about vacume inches. Disconnect vacume from dist put a golf tee or something in the hose, start engine, check at idle, run it up to 3000 check again, these are your settings, I think you should have about 16=17 at idle. Than about 34=36 at 3000, If you are using chrysler dist you may have to curve it. You should be able to see what going on as far as what rpm your max timing is coming in. Do that and report back to us.

Im not a expert but dont worry about vacume inches. Disconnect vacume from dist put a golf tee or something in the hose, start engine, check at idle, run it up to 3000 check again, these are your settings, I think you should have about 16=17 at idle. Than about 34=36 at 3000, If you are using chrysler dist you may have to curve it. You should be able to see what going on as far as what rpm your max timing is coming in. Do that and report back to us.

Use timing tape on the damper, or mark the damper in 10* intervals to check advance..vacuum and mechanical.

HillbillyTimingtape001.jpg

If your base timing is 10 degrees with vacuum advance disconnected and you raise the RPM's to about 3000 RPM's the timing should advance to some were between 28-34 degrees if it is not advancing or advancing very little the weights in the distributor are stuck you just need to disassemble the distributor clean & lube the weights and reassemble the distributor. Reinstall it and reset the base timing & recheck it. Good luck I hope it helps

Timing is only 19 degrees with vacuum line disconnected at distributor and engine at 3000 rpm. Sounds like I need to take it apart and free up the weights. Is that hard to do?

You may also want to lose your heavy spring for a lighter one, this will bring your timing in sooner.

Thanks for letting me know about the article in mopar muscle. Does not look hard to do, just need to take my time. Will let you know how it turns out. Hope to get it done in the next few days.

-
Back