Distributor Question.

-

dillon14

Reaction score
I picked up the correct distributor for my Dart. I disassembled it, cleaned it and am ready to put it back together. I am not sure what type of grease/oil I should put on the long shaft. Will white lithium grease work? I am going to install the Pertronix in it so I am not worrying about the top of the shaft.
Thanks,
Al in Maine

Frankly I'd just use motor oil. What shape are the bushings?

Agree. I think the shaft gets lubed from the engine below. Some Mopar distributors have a tiny flip-up oil cap on the side of the housing. I recall just on my 383 big block. I use 3M oil. There is also a felt pad inside the shaft under the rotor that you need to wet with oil. You don't state your engine and there are at least 3 distributor types.

The distributor is a 2875356 that is correct for a 1968 383ci 4bbl and manual transmission. No flip-up oil cap on the side. No felt pad inside the shaft under the rotor. Just a nylon bushing and metal washer on the bottom with a pin. here are a couple of photos.
1jpg.jpg

2jpg.jpg

Old filthy parts like that can be a chore for sure. Add some "after" shots for dramatic effect.

You can use a light grease on the shaft when you put it back in. The bottom gets splashed with oil, but the top of the shaft is only lubed by whatever gets pushed up there - which is not much.

I like to use Magnalube G for spots like that, but lubriplate is fine.

You do need to pay some attention to the top end of the shaft. The advance weights work better with a little lube, but they must move freely. If they are dry they also rust easily. I like to use Mobil 1 0W40 for the advance & breaker plate. Use a toothbrush, and scrub a little oil into all of the surfaces. Then blow off any excess oil with compressed air. Never see a rusty weight again.

B.

Seems to me there used to be a felt on top of the advance C clip for a little oil

Hey, I have one of those dizzys with the little flip up oil cap in my 318. When I put it back in I filled the litle cup with 30 weight. Is this bad? How often do you need to check it/top up the oil? Never seen a dizzy with this feature.

-
Back