DIY Alignment Turn Plates

-
Yup. My old Ammco plates seem to be two cavities with ball bearings loose. That is they don't seem to have a center pin, or if do, the pin must go down into a large hole for side movement

Keep dreamin. lol Here's the kicker. While you CAN "back off" the came with the weight on the tires, there's no way you can crank more cam into the alignment with the weight on the tires. You'll damage the cam stop brackets. I've tried it nine ways to Sunday and never had any luck. I assembled them with axle grease between the cams and the whole nine yards. It just wouldn't work without taking the weight off the wheels. But try it. Maybe you'll come up with something.

Maybe you'll come up with something.,,,yea, just roll the car back, jack it up, make an adjustment, let it down and roll it forward,,
and as I had mentioned, each adjustor is already in the max position to give the most caster,,so I am not planning any moves on the cams, any adjustment would be to induce more camber and that may not even be necessary. But if it was it should be moving the rear cam off just a bit.

Maybe you'll come up with something.,,,yea, just roll the car back, jack it up, make an adjustment, let it down and roll it forward,,
and as I had mentioned, each adjustor is already in the max position to give the most caster,,so I am not planning any moves on the cams, any adjustment would be to induce more camber and that may not even be necessary. But if it was it should be moving the rear cam off just a bit.

The only problem with that is you have to remove "whatever" form of measurement from the wheel you're using. Be that an alignment head, magnetic caster/camber gauge.....whatever. So that means you've just lost all of your info, because you removed the apparatus. You can do it and set all back up again but your readings will never be the same.

I originally welded a stud on the lower plate and drilled a hole in the upper. As RRR mentioned, my original design didn't work well because the tires could not slide outward when lowered onto the plate. I simply ground down the stud and sprayed both plates with graphite. Things worked well afterwards.

-
Back