DIY...homemade upper A-arm bushing extractor/installer

-

Mtrhead

Ace of Spades ♠️
Reaction score
Works just as good as Mancini 's but only cost bout $3.00 ...now gonna make lower control arm pivot shaft extractor and bushing extractor/installer tool

20220703_150022.jpg

20220703_150032.jpg

20220702_160148.jpg

I’ve got one of those…

46AACF75-9F78-4D2F-8AA1-0C92CD0F597B.jpeg

I dunno about the lower puller though. I bought the Mancini tool for that and didn’t have a ton of luck with it. The force you need to generate for some of the lowers is pretty significant, a press works a whole lot better.

For the lower bushing shells, a Lil slice longways and the air chisel is about the only way I know.. I've read a few others, but cain't remember.. CRS syndrome

I'm new at the suspension game..figured I must learn it...cannot afford to pay someone..and pretty much all of my cars need it done or will need it done....will pretty get the whole tool kit for suspension later..but these A arms were needed yesterday...

Same boat here. When I was able to get the kit, from Mancini, and a Tool company, they were outta stock on everything. One of the guys from Mancini even went back to the warehouse cuz he said he had one and he opened it up and most everything was gone out of it I guess they pieced out all the tools in the kit... now, I just can't afford em.... we do what we can, with what we have sometimes. And sometimes, that's what makes it fun!

I use a press for the pivot pins and use this tap for the shells. Thread the tap into the shell and use my press to push it out. Super easy…
ABBDAB6B-C8F3-4330-93A8-652BDA41222B.jpeg

I would skip the Mancini suspension tools kit. The home made puller works awesome for the uppers. And a press and a tap work MUCH better for the lowers. And the torsion bar tool is useless.

I priced them... ouch! Lol

yes sir! I bought my tap used from eBay though. They can be had for a lot less than retail, especially if you have time to be patient and look for listings over time. That’s what I did, I was able to look for a few months and get a good price on a used one. Doesn’t help if you need to do your project next week though.

I'm down to the Duster now. Re did the poly stuff that was "supposed" to be new. One Lca pin was hanging out, the bushings, that slid in the old shell, were egged out, and compressible by hand. Y'all helped me out here, went back to rubber, w/ the Proforged (think you recommended em). Would have went delrin, but....also only installed 1/2 the offset Uca bushings.. maybe I should toss in the other half? Haven't gotten an alignment yet. Shops here suck. And Everyone's Old School Guy retired, and sold the building to Russians, keeping his tools with him. The pit is still there..

Subscribed! I was just discussing this future job with my son this morning....
Uppers are gravy, with the tool. Lowers, there are some great threads on here about them, they are a Lil hard work, and if Ya ain't a Pro, can get Ya going on em. I know they helped me! Keeps the insanity to a minimum....

Uppers are gravy, with the tool. Lowers, there are some great threads on here about them, they are a Lil hard work, and if Ya ain't a Pro, can get Ya going on em. I know they helped me! Keeps the insanity to a minimum....
Thanks for the heads up! Definitely not a pro...but I do alot of reading and always seem to find a solution with all the great advice on here.

You just gotta keep lookin, for one of those 1 3/8 taps.
There's one on ebay, right now for $17.00

tap 1-3/8 -6 thd hss | eBay

I have bought those taps, for as little as $12.50 in the past, from e bay tool wholesalers.
Now i have a collection of them, in the toolbox.
Jim V.
hemi71x

Exactly! I think I paid around $20 for mine, well worth it.

Heck that Mancini front end tool set is $165 plus shipping, you can get a 12 ton HF press with a coupon and a tap off eBay for about the same price. And you can do a lot more and many other jobs with that press than you’ll be able to manage with the tool kit.

-
Back