DIY Wheel bearing?

-

timbolia

65Wagon
Reaction score
So the rear wheel bearing on the driver side is making a lot of noise, when I got the 1965 Dart Wagon 4 months ago it was making a low growl type noise. Now it is louder and more clunk/crunch sound.

How hard is it to do this myself? I do not have a floor jack or a garage, just hand tools. (might buy the jack though)

The wagon is a slant 4 speed with a 7 1/4 if that makes any difference.

Thanks

If they're on the axle you'll need a press. If they're in the housing you'll need a slide hammer.

Not sure on the 7 1/4's.

Get it fixed soon ! It can sieze up, break the axle , who knows what it could cost in the delay.

Not bad at all. I believe the 7 1/4 is a c-clip axle. Jack it up, remove the wheel, brake drum. Remove the diff cover. Pull the c-clip on the drivers side and simply slide out the axle. I don't believe the bearing is held in place with a retainer. You should be able to slide the bearing off with a little heat. Or if it stays in the housing you will need a slide hammer to get it out.

This doesn't sound too hard. I think I better give it a shot this weekend. Is there any reason I have to do both if I do one? Also I do not need any special tool to seat the bearings? What about a grease gun?

Had a axle bearing lock up at the drive-in theater. Went back the next morn pulled the axle , took it to a shop and had a new bearing pressed on. Went back to the car fixed it. Took most of a day. Was a 68 or 9 Pont. Lemans.
Some of the bearings are nearly impossible to find ( se 63 Impala ). Atleast yours is at home. You will need to identify what rear you have. For what its worth... even if you didn't need to remove the center cover to remove the axle, you should remove that cover and clean the gear oil.
Be sure to pre grease pack any axle bearing that gets differential oil lubrication.
Geter done, with or without a floor jack. Good jack stands and wheel chocks are more important.

"Be sure to pre grease pack any axle bearing that gets differential oil lubrication. "

I have no idea what that means. Maybe I should do like you did and take the axle to a shop and have them press in the bearings?

"Be sure to pre grease pack any axle bearing that gets differential oil lubrication. "

I have no idea what that means. Maybe I should do like you did and take the axle to a shop and have them press in the bearings?

Some bearings are pre greased and sealed too. Others are open and sold pretty much dry. Dont bank on the gear oil getting there and protecting that open bearing. Pack it full of bearing grease. The shop that presses that bearing on might not tell you this so I mentioned it.

Who knows what rearend might be under your car ?

I have changed these before. No C-clip, only pressed on sleave at bearing. Remove retainer, get to nut by rotating large hole in axle flange. When you buy bearing also get new seal. The sleave is soft and can be cut with chisel. To replace, heat new sleave in hot oil, drop on axle and tap in place.
Sleave comes with bearing, if not they might be trying to sell a 8-3/4 bearing, not the same. Might consider both sides. If there is metal shavings it is best to clean the whole works!

Thanks Kit. This sounds like what I was seeing in the shop manual. The whole, cut off with chisel and hot oil thing, makes me think this is not a renters driveway job.

Redfish, it is a 7 1/4. are there different ones of those? Do I need to take it apart to tell what part I need?

As a kid I did a replacement in the driveway. The chisel works OK, the sleave expands prior to cutting all the way. I have also replaced using press that works too, you need a bearing spreader. Sorry I could not find part numbers. I remember it is a sealed bearing.

The sleave installation is important. It is all that holds the axle in.

If he has a 7 1/4 it is a c-clip axle and there is no retainer. The axle is held in place by the c-clip. No C-clip the axle falls out. Just want to make sure he is given good info.

If he has a 7 1/4 it is a c-clip axle and there is no retainer. The axle is held in place by the c-clip. No C-clip the axle falls out. Just want to make sure he is given good info.

That depends on year model. Like I said before , who knows if its the original rear.

Just remember when looking up part numbers that the large bolt pattern bearings are a different size than the small bolt pattern. You might want to try and track down the bearing BEFORE you take the car apart, they can be hard to find sometimes and $$$. Some cases it is cheaper and easier to just swap in a 8 1/4 instead of dumping money into the 7 1/4.

A different rear install will include a different drive shaft and brake fluid at least. Then possibly a different speedo gear for the trans.
Pull the dif' cover , look at gear condition, etc.. Dont grab the gears and turn them with your bare hands. Its a lions mouth ! If it looks like a axle bearing might be all you need, look for the circlips. Post pics.
We'll do something even if its wrong. LOL

Yeah, I did not get to this this weekend, waiting on a check in the mail. I will try get some pics though. The wheels are still small bolt pattern if that helps. It does look like some work has been done down there though, the axle housings or whatever they are called have been painted red for some reason.

Hi, I bought bearings for the wagon, but they did not come with seals. And no one seems to have them. What should I take pictures of to figure out if I have a year correct rear end on this car? Do I need to take the gear cover off? If I do will oil pour out of there?

Don't know where people are getting this C-clip thing from. Perhaps it's a newer rear thing. I've swapped axles from a '69 to a '64 7-1/4", and neither of them were held in by C-clips. They were like an 8-3/4" after Green Bearings are installed. A sealed bearing with 4 or 5 nuts holding the backing plate and bearing retainer in place. I suggest you do the same. Just swap axles. Find a 7-1/4" differential at a junk yard or Craigslist, and get the axle shaft. Cheaper than getting a new bearing put on. You could probably find someone to pay you to take the whole differential off their hands. If you're by me, you can come and get one.

That sounds like the way I should go on this. I wish I was closer, I would come pick that up. I guess I will look for one nearby.

Just my thoughts here...
Since your gear housing does have debrie from bad parts inside it, it will be best to R&R the differential cover and clean it out.

-
Back