• 318 new bottom end and top end

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • 360 new top end

Votes: 18 72.0%

• Total voters
-

1970boy

Reaction score
Going to swap a small block into my daily driver dart but don’t know if I should do a 318 or a 360. I can get both engines for about the same price and they both put out between 400-450 hp the 318 has been fully gone thru on the top and bottom end with new everything and the 360 has all new stuff on the top end but nothing done on the bottom end... do I go with the high revving 318 or lower revving 360 with more torque on the lower end. I want my car to be a fun daily driver with that deep v8 growl and great power at the end of the day

Just looking for other people’s opinions on it.. also keeping in mind room for things in the future with both engines I’m interested in doing a turbo in the future and stroking out whatever engine I end up choosing just don’t know what to pick lol

My 408 with a 6 Pack. I went big.

20170909_223009.jpg

20160404_195738.jpg

Going to swap a small block into my daily driver dart but don’t know if I should do a 318 or a 360. I can get both engines for about the same price and they both put out between 400-450 hp the 318 has been fully gone thru on the top and bottom end with new everything and the 360 has all new stuff on the top end but nothing done on the bottom end... do I go with the high revving 318 or lower revving 360 with more torque on the lower end. I want my car to be a fun daily driver with that deep v8 growl and great power at the end of the day

Just looking for other people’s opinions on it.. also keeping in mind room for things in the future with both engines I’m interested in doing a turbo in the future and stroking out whatever engine I end up choosing just don’t know what to pick lol
No 318 puts out 400-450 without very expensive mods. Hot rod did a 400 hp 318 a couple years back the cost was astronomical, go 360

Any engine can be a revver. Give it enough head and cam and she'll rev.

There's really no advantage to go with the 318. That's said 318 can built to be on par with a 360 but it's gonna need more gear, stall and will have a ruffer idle.

Really most 360 are technically under geared with 3.23-3.55 instead of have 4.10-4.56. If you want every last drop of performance out of your combo.

And a similar built 318 is gonna need about 0.5:1 more gear than a 360. A 408 will need about 0.5:1 less gear than a 360.

To me that's the main reason to go bigger.
If your not willing to run at least 3.91 I wouldn't build anything smaller than a 360.

do a compression test on the 360 if its good roll new bearings in it and new oil pump,..no replacement for displacement!

Going to swap a small block into my daily driver dart but don’t know if I should do a 318 or 360 - do I go with the high revving 318 or lower revving 360 with more torque on the lower end. I want my car to be a fun daily driver with that deep v8 growl and great power at the end of the day
The first problem here is the idea of reving. The 318 is going to count on revs for the HP. The 360 will have more bottom end grunt to start and to the finish. Plus superior HP at a lower rpm and all the way up. But just a little lower rpm. Not a thousand less. Take the 42 extra cubes and build it stout and don’t worry. It’ll be awesome all around.

If you can get either engine for the same price. Do the 360. It's more displacement and more power and torque, and it's the same amount of work to put either 360 or 318 in. I was originally going to say the only advantage of a 318 was that it would be cheaper, but not if it's putting out a lot of horsepower.

What’s going to give me better street performance ? Any cons to either? Also can anyone tell me about their experience with driving either daily

What’s going to give me better street performance ? Any cons to either? Also can anyone tell me about their experience with driving either daily
more cube's=more torque=more fun on the street...less cubes=more rpms to =same fun,..harder on parts wont live as long without more maintenance sooner and youll always wish it was 42 cubes bigger if not more

No 318 puts out 400-450 without very expensive mods. Hot rod did a 400 hp 318 a couple years back the cost was astronomical, go 360
Bull **** &!!!!
That was years ago and there are better ways to skin that 400+ hp car then what you think are expensive astronomical pricing. Building an engine isn’t cheap when ALL the parts are new parts. Heads, intake pistons.... it adds up.

A 360 will be better for what you want to do hands down. Been there done that with both engine several times. While there is nothing wrong with a 318, being cubically challenged to start with is the single biggest hill to climb out of. Why bother with .089 more bore and .27 more stroke with the 360?

I was originally going to say the only advantage of a 318 was that it would be cheaper, but not if it's putting out a lot of horsepower.
Disagree because the engine will just have to work harder and spin more rpm. It’s not the cost because they will all use the same parts to achieve the goal. The only parts that cost more are the pistons. Everything else is the same.

Bull **** &!!!!
That was years ago and there are better ways to skin that 400+ hp car then what you think are expensive astronomical pricing. Building an engine isn’t cheap when ALL the parts are new parts. Heads, intake pistons.... it adds up.
Never said it was cheap. But for all that coin they dumped into that 318 block, they easily could have made much more using the bigger 360 block. and it is astronomical considering the result

more cube's=more torque=more fun on the street...less cubes=more rpms to =same fun,..harder on parts wont live as long without more maintenance sooner and youll always wish it was 42 cubes bigger if not more

OH! You disagree???

Lay out your price lists of each engine. I’ll come back and chop it down. I’ll make it affordable for you. And anyone else IF they want a bassis!

(Which I’m sure can be improved!!!)

machine work cost the same...i bet 360 parts are cheaper...piston selection is alot better also....

OH! And the result is an obvious outcome so done bother weighing that in and even more so when I’m advocating the 360!

(OM-F’in-G! Is this guy F’in kidding me?!?!)

With my 408 Exhaust & 6 Pack Intake setup I'll have $8500 in to it. :)

Oh yea baby! 6 pack! An expense you incurre because you want to!

(I did!!!)

Me, I'm still wondering about post #1, how can they be "both about the same price" but the one only has half the work/mods done to it?

I think its about time to ask about the rest of the combo.

Me, I'm still wondering about post #1, how can they be "both about the same price" but the one only has half the work/mods done to it?
The reason they both are about the same price is because I’m getting a deal on either, both are in the same ballpark as far as price (within a few hundred dollars) 318 would be coming out of a friends car built 318 with no tranny but comes with the rear and then the 360 would come with a tranny and rear but only thing is it basically only has bolt ons whereas the 318 has had the top and bottom done with Keith black pistons an whatnot.. the 360 is pretty fresh nonetheless

-
Back