Do I need more intake

-

dustya_383

Reaction score
So I was talking to an friend about my motor, and I brought up an issue I had when it was running( it's apart now). It's 410 stroker and it has good torque but when in. 3rd (its a 4 speed)if cruising it doesnt have that torque feel I want when I floor it, I want torque all the way through the rpm band .now head flow I know is not a problem as they flow at almost .300 cfm@ max lift . So my question is . is it not enough intake ?Too much cam?? Not enough gear . Right now. It's a eddy high rise intake gasket matched dual plane no plenum work, magnum 306s cam w/.555 lift dur. @306. 260 @.050 3:23 sure grip 850 holly dp. Please let me know if any other info is. Needed. I was planning on ditching the air gap and maybe getting an m1 or something . Thanks for the help guys

You could certainly do better in the camshaft department. It's not a bad grind, just dated. Tons of better grinds available......BUT it is a proven design. It's worked well for thirty years. I think with today's grinds, you're leavin power on the table there. Still don't know which intake you have. Other than Edelbrock are there any other names on it?

3rd gear, [email protected], 850DP and 3.23's. Your asking a lot in that specific situation. I seriously doubt a intake change will help, and may actully hurt.

For that specific issue a vacuum secondary carb and some more gear would be the solution.
Or down and left with the shifter:D.

You could certainly do better in the camshaft department. It's not a bad grind, just dated. Tons of better grinds available......BUT it is a proven design. It's worked well for thirty years. I think with today's grinds, you're leavin power on the table there. Still don't know which intake you have. Other than Edelbrock are there any other names on it?

Ok what cam would you suggest also it's an rpm airgap intake dual plane

Well, on a stroker motor that airgap intake is about as good you can get for building torque...pretty much any single plane will sacrifice the bottom end for more horsepower.

As for cam selection, ask 10 people that question, you'll likely get at least 9 different answers.

If I'm right in saying your heads came from Brian (OU812) I'd suggest bouncing that question off him.

I want torque all the way through the rpm band

I just dyno'ed my 430 in mild form a few weeks ago with a stock set of eddy heads, and a stock air gap. made 566 ft/lbs peak torque... BUT it made over 500 ft / lbs the entire pull.
at 3 grand it was churning out 519 ft/lbs... that air gap sure makes a nice street intake -so your dual plane should not be the problem on the combo.

I'm not sure your problem is as simple as changing ONE thing. In fact, if you were to ask what one thing to change, I would say gear. 3.91s would be minimum for me with the combo you have now.

You've not mentioned converter....or I missed it. Is it stock? If you were to throw a good 3000 converter and 3.91s in it, you'd think you had a big block under the hood. I honestly think the cam should be the last thing to think about changing......even though there is improvement to be had there. Nowhere near as much as a matching drivetrain.

where do you have the timing set at ?....advance curve?

I'm not sure your problem is as simple as changing ONE thing. In fact, if you were to ask what one thing to change, I would say gear. 3.91s would be minimum for me with the combo you have now.

You've not mentioned converter....or I missed it. Is it stock? If you were to throw a good 3000 converter and 3.91s in it, you'd think you had a big block under the hood. I honestly think the cam should be the last thing to think about changing......even though there is improvement to be had there. Nowhere near as much as a matching drivetrain.

I'd agree but he said 4-speed...I'm taking that to mean manual. Solid point on the gearing though.

Well, on a stroker motor that airgap intake is about as good you can get for building torque...pretty much any single plane will sacrifice the bottom end for more horsepower.

As for cam selection, ask 10 people that question, you'll likely get at least 9 different answers.

If I'm right in saying your heads came from Brian (OU812) I'd suggest bouncing that question off him.

My heads did come from him and all work was done by him on them so I'll run it by him see his opinion .

At what RPM are you stabbing it? If it's just above idle it will need a bit to wind up. 3.23 and tall tires don't help either if that's the case.

It's a 4 speed and it won't act like an auto with a converter flashing hard. Ain't nothing but a mechanical gearset, no fluid dynamics in action.

Being a stroker it's gonna make TQ. That cam is big no matter what sb engine you put it in from a duration standpoint.

It's the gears, I was running 3.23 gears with my stroker 4-speed , back to 3.91 now. It was a dog in certain gears due to the rpm. Change gears before wasting money on other parts.

[email protected] and 3.23 gears? Seems like pretty long legs for that cam. If it's a street machine, you may be happier with a shorter duration cam, and since you have the engine apart...

Thanks guys for the input. Think I'm gonna advance my timing a hair this time and give in to the 3:91s. If I can find some

those are highway gears. might feel the torque if it was a turbo but why not just pull a gear

I was wondering that through the whole read also.
Second might work out better right?
If I was crusin along and wanted to get on it I would go for second then back to third when the RPM's could support it.

At what RPM are you stabbing it?

Well motor wasn't broken in nor the clutch so I think I'll break those in properly then I'll switch gears after that for now I'll leave the 3:23 on.. Anyone want to trade 489, 3:23SG for3:91or 4:10?? Hahaha

So my intake and cam are ok?

If you don't already have a 1" open spacer under the carb, I would do that. What lash are you using HOT?
What's the current timing curve? Total timing?
No matter how good the tune, those gears are NOT for a hot 4 spd car. Make sure you have plenty of fuel supply (volume) for this because these strokers need it.

If you don't already have a 1" open spacer under the carb, I would do that. What lash are you using HOT?
What's the current timing curve? Total timing?
No matter how good the tune, those gears are NOT for a hot 4 spd car. Make sure you have plenty of fuel supply (volume) for this because these strokers need it.

I'll get a spacer as for lash I believe its.022 for the cam, and as for timing I had it set by a friend as I'm not good at that kind of thing to get it running with out stalling on me or anything like that what is a good setting?? I'm running msd no vacuum advance . As for fuel I'm running a Holley mechanical 110 gph 3/8 line all the way with the Holley 850 double bumper front jets are 81 rears Are76 do I need a better pump to get more fuel in there??? I am definetly looking into better gearing for this thing

-
Back