Do I Smell Something??

-

Small Block

Reaction score
I've got an aquaintenance that has just recently taken a truck driving school and got a job with PAM Trucking. Likes his job and with a smile he tells me he's been hauling Mopar parts. Of course i ask where from and to where. He hauls em from Canada where they are made then hauls them to Mexico to get em assembled into cars. Something aint smellin quite right. What am i missing here.
Small Block

My 97 Dakota was made in Mexico.... I really don't think there's an issue.

Small Block,what I also find strange is...you don,t see any posts from young guns about getting jobs at any of the Big 3(Gm,Ford,Chrysler)Maybe a couple about toyota or Honda.I find this very disturbing for our younger generation.Heck when I was young,guys were getting hired left and right at all the Big 3.Goes to show what the East has done to North America.:protest:

OK, maybe I didn't get the gist of your post. I thought you were insinuating that your truck driver friend was up to something illegal.

If it's about Mopar stuff being made in Mexico, it's been going on for a long, long time.

OK, maybe I didn't get the gist of your post. I thought you were insinuating that your truck driver friend was up to something illegal.

If it's about Mopar stuff being made in Mexico, it's been going on for a long, long time.
He hauls parts from Canada to Mexico to be installed in cars/trucks.

He hauls parts from Canada to Mexico to be installed in cars/trucks.

Blame the USA and all their regulations and clean air crap. The cost of running a factory in the USA is much higher vs Mexico and its not just cause Mexicans labor costs are cheaper, its the whole price that is higher.

Very sad the parts get shipped across the USA to Mexico, we need jobs here in the USA, yeah its been going on for a longtime, how the US got in to this mess, did not happen overnight.

Very sad the parts get shipped across the USA to Mexico, we need jobs here in the USA, yeah its been going on for a longtime, how the US got in to this mess, did not happen overnight.
x2

X3

Well lets see;tax money from us builds and maintains the roads-but we get to buy the cars and trucks that are NOT built here-we can't drill for our own oil here,but we can buy it from any other country,we can pay the tax on the fuel that we use-but we need more money to pay to fix roads and bridges-sounds fair to me,what do you think?

Blame the USA and all their regulations and clean air crap. The cost of running a factory in the USA is much higher vs Mexico and its not just cause Mexicans labor costs are cheaper, its the whole price that is higher.

So do we go back to the old days and die at 40 or 50.I've said for a long time the we Americans like to buy things as cheap as possible yet make a high wage with great benefits.Where's the trade off I don't have a clue.Politicans and CEO's are way out of control we're in a mess with no cure in site.

Hired in at chrysler at 18 (1976) laid off in 1979

hired in at ford in 1997, most of the people I work with are over 40 and the majority are over 50, so it is a very aging work force. Will be transfering to KY in Feb. It will be interesting to see the average age of the workforce.

Not many young people get hired in at the BIG 3 anymore and haven't for years. At some point there will be hiring, but too late, wages cut in 1/2 & benefits cut.

Go to Mc D and see all the grandparents working behind the counter, that use to be the kids job

were it ends no one knows and most don't want to know

My 1995 Dodge ram extended cab was built in Mexico, cars and parts have been built in Canada for a long time by the CAW and shipped back and forth across the northern border, NAFTA has made the BIG SUCKING SOUND that was predicted with the southern border

So do we go back to the old days and die at 40 or 50.I've said for a long time the we Americans like to buy things as cheap as possible yet make a high wage with great benefits.Where's the trade off I don't have a clue.Politicans and CEO's are way out of control we're in a mess with no cure in site.

No we don't want that but in Canada people live LONGER vs the USA and they got better paying jobs vs the USA.

Canada also doesn't have the Disability Act that forces companies to build stores--buildings that are wheel chair friendly. They help provide child day care so the parents can work and their children aren't forced to be look at by the grand parents. Canada taxes are higher but guess what, they got no Bill Gates who are worth 50 BILLION--the wealth is more spread out in Canada
by the people.

In Canada more people have a voice in Government, its run by 3 or 4 parties, not just the D's and the R's. In Washington its control by almost one party on many topics, there is many areas the D's and R's are lock together on, not so in Canada.

As for Mexico, LOL, that is the big unknown. Here Washington is all worry about places like Iran and what good does Mexico do the US ? Illegal drugs are a big problem in the USA and we can thank Mexico for supplying the drugs. Yeah Canada has a drug problem as well but they got their Charter Rights Bill that prevent drug testing, very few workers in Canada need to take drug tests vs the USA.

So the big companies say screw the USA and build their factory's in Mexico or Canada. Drug testing cost big bucks too and then if a long time worker tested positive for drugs, the employer needs to provide drug treatment. Canada provides health care for its people so heath care cost the employers less in Canada.

Its really involved and over my head to explain it very well.

Yep. My parents used to own a small trucking company and was contracted through CFI to haul parts from Mexico to Michigan.

Small Block,what I also find strange is...you don,t see any posts from young guns about getting jobs at any of the Big 3(Gm,Ford,Chrysler)Maybe a couple about toyota or Honda.I find this very disturbing for our younger generation.Heck when I was young,guys were getting hired left and right at all the Big 3.Goes to show what the East has done to North America.:protest:

i did the dealership scene... F that... all about the rodding side...

P.S. i did place 3rd in CA for Ford/AAA Trouble shooting contest... and 5th @ Skills USA, but that was on a very bad...well you get the idea...

My 97 Dakota was made in Mexico.... I really don't think there's an issue.

No, all 97 Dakotas were made in Warren Truck Plant in Warren, Michigan.

Up until 96, they were made in Warren Truck Plant in Warren, Michigan and Toledo Assembly in Toledo, Ohio. Toledo built all of the sport and a little of the others, Warren Truck built the SLT's and base models. There were two plants side by side in Stickney. One built the Dakotas, the other built the Wranglers, their "final lines" came out right next to each other. Dakotas on the left and Wranglers on the right.

No, all 97 Dakotas were made in Warren Truck Plant in Warren, Michigan.

Up until 96, they were made in Warren Truck Plant in Warren, Michigan and Toledo Assembly in Toledo, Ohio. Toledo built all of the sport and a little of the others, Warren Truck built the SLT's and base models. There were two plants side by side in Stickney. One built the Dakotas, the other built the Wranglers, their "final lines" came out right next to each other. Dakotas on the left and Wranglers on the right.

Huh, I wonder why why it said "Made in Mexico" in the door jamb. I was pissed off and showed to all my friends at the time too. Biggest piece of crap I ever owned..... Or maybe it was my 2001 Ram 1500 Offroadster... That was a pretty good truck minus a downshift problem that the dealer could never fix.

Huh, I wonder why why it said "Made in Mexico" in the door jamb. I was pissed off and showed to all my friends at the time too. Biggest piece of crap I ever owned..... Or maybe it was my 2001 Ram 1500 Offroadster... That was a pretty good truck minus a downshift problem that the dealer could never fix.

Yeah, I worked on the launch of those Dakotas. Had one expedited for my brother that had the v-6. My 318 68 barracuda got better fuel economy than his v-6 (16 vs 18 mpg).

Well guys, I have lived here is so cal for over 50 years. I have watched the left destroy this state day by day with cheap labor and regulations. Of course some on the right take advantage of these policies as well but don't actively promote it. If we had helped Mexico years ago they wouldnt be invading us now. But nooooooooo, rich people gotta have their cheap labor and union leadership cry when a business is opened there. So this is the result. and if Mexico hasnt taken over your neck of the woods yet, get ready, because they will.

Yeah, I worked on the launch of those Dakotas. Had one expedited for my brother that had the v-6. My 318 68 barracuda got better fuel economy than his v-6 (16 vs 18 mpg).

It was a great looking truck and I did have the 318 with a manual. I added an aftermarket exhaust and was able to get 17.5 mpg. The problems I had were all driveline related.... Went through a rear end and two transfer cases under warranty.

-
Back