Do I wait for the 5 speed?

-
I am not trying to convince you that the GV is the way to go, or I made the correct choice, I clearly understand that is not an avenue you wish to pursue. It is for the very reasons that are stated in this thread that I chose that path. Both the regular A833 4 speed, and GV units are tried and true rather than specialty items with spotted track records.

Any way you slice it, as a 4 speed owner of a Mopar A body, wanting an OD setup is not an easy choice, and the decision making process is a dance of compromises. Happy motoring, good luck with whatever choice you make.

I have a friend with one in a 70 Superbird clone. He drives it a lot. He had an issue with "something" in front of the transmission once.....throwout bearing or pilot bushing.....I don't really remember. But it was not the transmission. Once he got that fixed it was right back to how it drove before. He likes it a lot. It's behind a stout 511 Hemi.

Did you call John Huff or Passon and check availability? It's not really clear

Passon products:
I drove an iron 4sp 2.66 1st gear then aluminum 4sp 2.66 1st gear, then went to the aluminum hemi OD. Reg 4sp was 3.23's, Hemi OD was :3.55's. Liked the Hemi OD/3.55's better as the cruising rpms were lower, the gas mileage better and more top end. 160...
As far as ET, roll on power no difference. I quit owning cars before the 5 speed was ready but I have driven and beaten upon a very wicked 505 alum head BB 5 speed 6 pak with 4:10's, no complaints just big smiles.

As to the person with the shifting issues - did you ever check/correct the bell housing alignment to the engine?

Passon products:
I drove an iron 4sp 2.66 1st gear then aluminum 4sp 2.66 1st gear, then went to the aluminum hemi OD. Reg 4sp was 3.23's, Hemi OD was :3.55's. Liked the Hemi OD/3.55's better as the cruising rpms were lower, the gas mileage better and more top end. 160...
As far as ET, roll on power no difference. I quit owning cars before the 5 speed was ready but I have driven and beaten upon a very wicked 505 alum head BB 5 speed 6 pak with 4:10's, no complaints just big smiles.

As to the person with the shifting issues - did you ever check/correct the bell housing alignment to the engine?
Bellhouse alignment was checked beforehand when I was running an stock 4spd 833.

Passon products:

I didn’t because I didn’t think they worked on Sunday.

I am not trying to convince you that the GV is the way to go, or I made the correct choice, I clearly understand that is not an avenue you wish to pursue. It is for the very reasons that are stated in this thread that I chose that path. Both the regular A833 4 speed, and GV units are tried and true rather than specialty items with spotted track records.

Any way you slice it, as a 4 speed owner of a Mopar A body, wanting an OD setup is not an easy choice, and the decision making process is a dance of compromises. Happy motoring, good luck with whatever choice you make.
Got it, I right now only want to find out about the Passon options to see if that is the route I will take. Should I decide on some other option then I start a new post for that option. I mean one guy even told me “ I wouldn’t run an overdrive “ , that’s fine but some responses go far off the rails. So far I have gotten some really good answers that are helpful and some that don’t help with what I want to get information about.

I wouldn't do any business with Passon. There is a 19 page post on here about the A855-5 Speed by Matthon. It's about all the **** he had to go thru. You better sit down and take the time to read all 19 pages. It started on Aug 26, 2019- Nov 11, 2023. It might save you some grief!

I will read the Matthon article. This kind of information is exactly why I started this post. I want as much info as I can get on this option before I make any decision on what I think is going to be my best option. I want as close to 100% reliability as is humanly possible. I plan on a rock solid driver that I can be confident in that I can jump in and just go.

That matthon dude knows a thing or two.
Passon, Huff, GFI, they're all criminals, they continue to market and sell, and charge big $, for a trans that they know, and have known for many years, is defective.

I've had discussions with Passon multiple times and met him, he's incompetent.
He didn't develop, design or build the 5 speed, doesn't warranty it, and doesn't work on it.
When I finally got my $ back, he didn't even have a business account to pay me from, not a credit card, business or personal, that would guarantee payment.

I've had discussions with Huff countless times, he's incompetent as well. His personal car has a 5 speed that pops out of gear, yet he invested 6 figures and doesn't even tell customers his own trans is bad.
Huff is supposed to test trans, but he sells any trans he gets, even if it's marked for someone, because he lost a fortune. You buy one from Huff, it's someone else's trans.

GFI created, designed, built, and provides the warranty, but will not honor it, which is really the main part of the warranty.
They almost immediately started buying the cheapest parts they could, and never addressed whatever design flaw of which they're fully aware.

My 5 speed popped out first time I ever put it in 4th.
Passon was zero help.

GFI 'rebuilt' it twice, same issue. They offered me another 'new' trans. Sent it to Huff for 'testing' and it failed.

GFI ghosted me at that point. I had to send a letter of intent to sue, AND jump through multiple hoops to get my money back.

I also know a few guys who bought the OD trans and they had nothing but trouble.

Those who got a 'good' one are extremely lucky, imo.
At one point they had 9 trans that popped out of gear.
With so few going out the door, that's a big number.

Think about it. If you had a revolutionary 5 speed manual trans specifically for Mopars, would you be a regular on, I don't know, THE Mopar forums, FABO, FBBO, FCBO?

Or would you NEVER chime in ever, NEVER respond to questions or those asking for help, NEVER take responsibility?

By now, right now, today, if this trans was so fantastic, it would be a money making machine and production would be way up.
HECK, by this time there should be a 6 speed, and matthon and his whining would be a distant memory.

I get it, the dream of the magical 5 speed that bolts right in to your classic Mopar is too good to pass up, almost too good to be true.
They're using that to con people out of their money.

Whether to buy anything from these clowns shouldn't be a question anymore.

Last edited:
Passon, Huff, GFI, they're all criminals, they continue to market and sell, and charge big $, for a trans that they know, and have known for many years, is defective.

He didn't develop, design or build the 5 speed, doesn't warranty it, and doesn't work on it.
When I finally got my $ back, he didn't even have a business account to pay me from, not a credit card, business or personal, that would guarantee payment.

I've had discussions with Huff countless times, he's incompetent as well. His personal car has a 5 speed that pops out of gear, yet he invested 6 figures and doesn't even tell customers his own trans is bad.
Huff is supposed to test trans, but he sells any trans he gets, even if it's marked for someone, because he lost a fortune. You buy one from Huff, it's someone else's trans.

GFI created, designed, built, and provides the warranty, but will not honor it, which is really the main part of the warranty.
They almost immediately started buying the cheapest parts they could, and never addressed whatever design flaw of which they're fully aware.

Passon was zero help.

GFI 'rebuilt' it twice, same issue. They offered me another 'new' trans. Sent it to Huff for 'testing' and it failed.

GFI ghosted me at that point. I had to send a letter of intent to sue, AND jump through multiple hoops to get my money back.

I also know a few guys who bought the OD trans and they had nothing but trouble.

Think about it. If you had a revolutionary 5 speed manual trans specifically for Mopars, would you be a regular on, I don't know, THE Mopar forums, FABO, FBBO, FCBO?

Or would you NEVER chime in ever, NEVER respond to questions or those asking for help, NEVER take responsibility?

By now, right now, today, if this trans was so fantastic, it would he a money making machine and production would be way up.
HECK, by this time their should be a 6 speed, and matthon and his whining would be a distant memory.

I get it, the dream of the magical 5 speed that bolts right in to your classic Mopar is too good to pass up, almost too good to be true.

I'm glad you got on here. We have a lot of new members on here and your story should be brought to the top every once in awhile. Sorry for everything you went thru. A lot of guys over on FBBO seem to really like ole Jammie, to bad for them.

If you had a manual trans specifically for Mopars, would you be a regular on, I don't know, THE Mopar forums, FABO, FBBO, FCBO?

Funny that Brewers is always here! :thumbsup: I Have Passons Book if Anyone wants it. Lol :rofl:

I will read the Matthon article. This kind of information is exactly why I started this post. I want as much info as I can get on this option before I make any decision on what I think is going to be my best option. I want as close to 100% reliability as is humanly possible. I plan on a rock solid driver that I can be confident in that I can jump in and just go.
I would highly recommend you read Matt's experience. You didn't seem to be interested in bad experiences, so I told you of the one experience I have direct knowledge of, which happens to be good. But man, that Matt deal. That's enough for me to never recommend Passon ever. It was total BS from get to go.

I would stay away from Passon. If you don't want a Tremec buy an OD trans from Brewers. Brewers has a rock solid reputation.

I'm glad you got on here. We have a lot of new members on here and your story should be brought to the top every once in awhile. Sorry for everything you went thru. A lot of guys over on FBBO seem to really like ole Jammie, to bad for them.
I'm better for going through it.
Bonus, my daughter was there every step of the way, every day, and she learned more than I can state, how to give people a chance to fail, how to deal with people who do not have your best interests in mind, countless scenarios.

The support I received here at FABO and FBBO was key in getting through it, and instrumental in getting my money back (FBBO member shared a similar experience with a completely different company, the letter he wrote, steps he took, etc.).

I also have the GFI 855, a VERY early (March 2014, 3rd A-Body) unit that definingly needed some love from GFI, the original and still the manufacture of these units. All the bugs have been worked out of the newer units. Mine went back to GFI to address the issues, was corrected and turned within the month of February. I've had it up and running again and have autocross'd it three times this season starting March 30th. The updated unit no longer leaks, nor does it pop out of any gear and is quieter than before. Remember, this is a bolt-in old school transmission so it will always be louder than a modern TREMEC. It is also built on an 18-spline main shaft will will hold horsepower. As far as gearing goes, I run a 26" 285/35-18 with a B-Body 8 3/4" 742 3.73 with a rebuilt Mopar Sure-grip. Around town I'm usually in 4th gear, on the freeway, 5th at 2500RPM gets me to 74MPH and I still have the 2.64 first gear to get me rolling without beating my clutch. I'm now very happy with it thanks to GFI! Call John Huff and see what the timing looks like. I can't speak for other people, I can just share my experience.

already autocross'd with it three times starting
20240305_174128.jpg
20240305_174137.jpg
20240225_145227.jpg
20240315_201016.jpg
20240317_152207.jpg
20240317_152310.jpg
20240329_171116.jpg
20240329_182004.jpg
20240331_134943.jpg

Passon was zero help.

By now, right now, today, if this trans was so fantastic, it would be a money making machine and production would be way up.
HECK, by this time there should be a 6 speed, and matthon and his whining would be a distant memory.

I read all 16 pages of your experience with the defective transmission. That is sad story. I can only imagine the unnecessary stress that caused. I was in a circumstance on a construction project I had done for me that turned out badly. I should have been arrested for my thoughts but lack of sleep for months wears on you plus dealing with everyday life which seems to get more stressful day by day. I'm glad you got your money back which we know still wasn't enough considering the wear and tear on your psyche. I would have loved to hear that these trannys are the silver bullet that we were hoping they would be. I'm real disappointed that they so far seem to be a risky product. It is too bad that by this time as you said they are not advertising the " new and improved , all the bugs are worked out and here's our warranty to prove it " ads on the MoPar forums. Good luck with everything and now I must reconsider my options. I want to run a Pistol Grip from a 71-up B body and so far everything I have seen would mean major mods ( 71 Dart factory SMPI 5.9 magnum) . It may end up being a factory OD 833. It won't be a racecar. I mainly want something I can cruise back to the Nationals in from Nevada and know it won't be something I have to worry about. Well back to the drawing board!

I read all 16 pages of your experience with the defective transmission.
Wow, kudos to you, and thank you.

I looked into the factory OD, but since I have a big block my understanding is I would need a specific bellhousing, a truck one iirc.
My thought was I could swap in an OD if a long trip was planned.

With my rebuilt A833 4 speed and efi, sway bars, it's a fantastic cruiser, I take it everywhere, near or far, drive it every day possible.

This morning I asked a question in another thread about clips.
Dan Brewer chimed in just now with the answer and pics, we all love pics, without being tagged or named or anything.

Almost like he's a professional who's knowledgeable and active and supports his current and future customers.

Shouldn't he be too busy to bother with us plebs.

The nerve of some people.

Installing linkage clips

"It won't be a racecar",.......in no way would I stick an A833OD in that car, I ran one in My ex-Popo Dippy w/4.89's & didn't like it at all. It's a good trans, but from a run-it hard perspective, it's a 3-speed with OD plain & simple.
If it won't be a racecar, & I'm assuming an 8.75" rear, I'd put 3.55's in it for most local driving/cruising for fun & toss 2.76's in for a cross-country haul & be done with it.
I'd love to tell You to go Passon A855, but that debacle makes that an "at Your own risk" until proven over time to be otherwise, sorry to say. I'm glad some Members have had some good recent experiences, but matthon's cannot be disregarded just because of those, so I am sitting on the fence atm.

"It won't be a racecar",.......in no way would I stick an A833OD in that car, I ran one in My ex-Popo Dippy w/4.89's & didn't like it at all. It's a good trans, but from a run-it hard perspective, it's a 3-speed with OD plain & simple.
If it won't be a racecar, & I'm assuming an 8.75" rear, I'd put 3.55's in it for most local driving/cruising for fun & toss 2.76's in for a cross-country haul & be done with it.
I'd love to tell You to go Passon A855, but that debacle makes that an "at Your own risk" until proven over time to be otherwise, sorry to say. I'm glad some Members have had some good recent experiences, but matthon's cannot be disregarded just because of those, so I am sitting on the fence atm.

I've had the opposite experience with an A833OD. I run mine with a 3.21 rear gear and while I do wish for a better drop from 1 to 2, I think it is fine and drives great. Cruises at 65 @ 2000 rpm and does fine around town.

There is better, no argument. But now that I am putting the T56 I bought in a different car I have no plans to do anything to the drivetrain on my '74.

I've had the opposite experience with an A833OD. I run mine with a 3.21 rear gear and while I do wish for a better drop from 1 to 2, I think it is fine and drives great. Cruises at 65 @ 2000 rpm and does fine around town.

There is better, no argument. But now that I am putting the T56 I bought in a different car I have no plans to do anything to the drivetrain on my '74.
One question, did You swap out the pin & pawl interlock system to the older ball & detent system?

One question, did You swap out the pin & pawl interlock system to the older ball & detent system?

Nope. Just running it stock.

But it has been several years since I put it in, and it wasn't original, so not going to say it wasn't done before I got it though.

-
Back