Do the 318's have a rear main seal?

-

hobart63

Reaction score
This my first classic car and I took it to mechanic cause I saw oil coming out between motor and transmission.I told them to replace the rear main seal. He told me that since was going to do the rear main seal he might as well do the oil pan gasket, so I agreed. When I picked up my 71 dart he told me that it does not have a rear main seal. So I have wondering if it's true. Sorry for the domb question.:-k

Every engine needs a rear main seal as well as a front snout seal. On a 318 its inside the rear main cap. So the pan, oil pump and pick up tube, and the main cap has to be removed. Its a two piece seal.

Find another mechanic. Fast.

You might want to invest in a Factory Service Manual. I'm not saying you need to tackle all of the maintenance or repairs on your car by yourself, but it's a dang good reference and you'll have a better idea of what folks are telling you.

Ok, I am taking car back to mechanic cause I saw small oil leak again. I payed him for the repair.

Yeah id be looking for a new mechanic. Even if he knows nothing about mopars he should know that All engines have a rear main seal.

Just cause you cant see it dont mean it aint there lol must be a chevy guy looking for one of those fancy one peice seals that just pops over the rear of the crank lol

So this "mechanic" thinks there is no real main seal and the crank just spins around in the block and like magic no oil comes out?

That is something isn't it.

What's "something" even more is that the mechanic told him that he might as well change the pan gasket.
The freakin pan gasket is PART of a rear main job.

Go back and get your money that they didn't work for!!!!!!!
Even if he did the rear main job, it freakin LEAKS!

Therfore, job not done.

Sorry about the yelling but, damn I'd verbaly rip that guy to shreds if he did that to me without making it right.
Problem is, he either does'nt know what he is doing or he's a ripoff mechanic.

Uh............actually...............this CAN be TRUE

Although I'm sure it was not intentional, a Monday? Friday? vehicle

Years ago our shop had an S-10, which had ?? around 100K on the clock. It was leaking oil, and we just "lived" with it. But if you went "on the road" it REALLY went through some oil, not so bad around town. Boss's daughter finally got ahold of it, ran it out of oil, and seized it up

Boss wanted me to tear it down and "see if we can fix it." I told him "sure, but a long block is the way to go."

But he wanted, so I did

So I've got the GM V6 laid out on the bench, upside down, empty block except for the crank, and I have all the caps off inspecting the crank and bearings.

I notice the oil seal area of the crank looks "nice and clean," as in no wear.

I look in the block, and my jaw drops. I look in the cap and my jaw drops AGAIN. This engine had never ever been touched since new, and it HAD NEVER HAD a rear seal installed!!!!

If it was as black as the caps (and he actually too the rear cap off) maybe he missed it as he was brought up on 4 banger Hondas? Find an older mechanic.....or better yet, do it yourself next time. You can service these cars with a $4.99 Harbor Freight 3/8 SAE socket set.

If it was as black as the caps (and he actually too the rear cap off) maybe he missed it as he was brought up on 4 banger Hondas? Find an older mechanic.....or better yet, do it yourself next time. You can service these cars with a $4.99 Harbor Freight 3/8 SAE socket set.

You forgot to add a clothespin, coat hanger and a roll of duct tape.

He probably gunked it all up with some silicone sealer. Or maybe a can of that spray crap they sell on TV for fixing leaks. LOL There was this rip off shop next to My Goodyear store and one customer stood outside their shop with a sign saying how they got ripped off. It didn't take long for the ripoff come out and refund her money.

*UPDATE* Thanks to all who responded to my add. Yall helped me build some courage. I finally took the engine out of my 71 dart swinger with my dads help. I was really glad that we took engine out. We found a few bad freeze plugs and worn timing chain. We replaced the following parts Freeze plugs, timing chain, fuel pump, oil pump, water pump and all gaskets and seals were replaced. Engine was painted Chrysler blue. I finally turned it on and it runs good.

*UPDATE* Thanks to all who responded to my add. Yall helped me build some courage. I finally took the engine out of my 71 dart swinger with my dads help. I was really glad that we took engine out. We found a few bad freeze plugs and worn timing chain. We replaced the following parts Freeze plugs, timing chain, fuel pump, oil pump, water pump and all gaskets and seals were replaced. Engine was painted Chrysler blue. I finally turned it on and it runs good.

Excellent job man!:thumblef: I'm sure you learned a lot on the process. That's how I learned this stuff, just jumped in and did it.

That is the way to do it. When they are old and leaky with nasty paint just pull them out and go over them while the engine's on a stand. So much easier then fighting everything with the engine in the car.

-
Back