Do you eat canned fish ?

-

RPM

Superior Member
Reaction score
So... In the last year I have had to do some health changes and it actually has worked out pretty good. One of the things I have incorporated is eating some of the canned fish to get my Omega 3's. I have never eaten Sardines, Kippers and so on before. I have tried a few of the different ones and have thrown a lot out.... yuck. However, I find that the smoked Kipper filets (boneless) are pretty dang good. Especially on a peppered Triscuit cracker. Some of the smoked sardines (boneless) are ok too. I hate all the other " sauces" they come in and wont eat the "whole" ones.... grosses me out. Anyways.... what other ways can one eat these with ? Just crackers ? Any other tricks ? I know the sodium levels and the "smoked" part isnt very healthy, but I only eat one can a week. Just something new I have tried..... any other ideas? I know some of ya prob eat these things down like crazy..... hahaha

-RPM

Oh.. yeah I know of the pills.... I am just being adventurous with new things.... appreciate the idea though !

-RPM

You can take Omega 3 supplements and avoid the sodium and taste factor. Some of the capsules will give you a fishy aftertaste while others are improved and don't have that effect.

Personally I've always loved sardines, prefer the small ones "King Oscar" brand in olive oil. It was a childhood treat when we went out on the boat to have sardines and saltine crackers and my Dad let me have a sip of his beer....they do taste good with beer.

Sardines and canned tuna in certain recipes, but otherwise no... Like everyone has said, I'd rather catch 'em and fry 'em up the same day. :)

Also, pickled herring is delicious!!

- CK

Lots of people can fish up here. Canned salmon is a staple.

I eat sardines, the dog makes me share. She is a picky eater so they must be good.

Attachments

• Joy-1.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 168
Try going into a fish store (fish monger). They have a great selection of fish but also many have things like smoked tuna spread...salmon spread, etc. Great to put on a cracker at cocktail time or whenever.

I take the fish oil caplets, have walnuts in my cereal, snack on pistachios and eat NO FISH OUT OF A CAN

As a kid ate canned tuna but cannot stand the smell now. Think of the cat food I had to give moms cats and turns my stomach to even open a can.

Sardines, my wife likes them, I probably tried them as a kid, remembr my grandpa eating them with mustard on saltine crackers

Too many good was to get omega 3 besides canned cat food, I mean fish

i bottle my own i take 6 mackeral spikes pak them in a pint mason jar 1tsp salt and 2 drops of liquid smoke and pressure cook at 10 psi for 60 min. i usually do 4 or 5 cases up over the summer. a little vinager is good on them but it turns the oil white it dosent hurt just looks a little off

I can eat a can of mackeral with about 2 TBS of mustard on the side with crackers :happy7:
But I try and treat myself to freash salmon weekly, but like few here like fresh fish
I enjoy the hunt :coffee2: ( I am blest with a couple good crappy/speck ponds walking distance) bring them home fillet them and freeze what I did not eat that day
or two. Yep :blob: I love me some freash out of the can Mackerel :cheers: a fork full and slide it threw
some mustard ..... My uncle Robert hooked me on it, my wife makes fish paddies and can't
stand watching me eat it out of the can :D
Congratulations on pumping up your diet RPM, A lot of folks need to add Omega 3's in there diet
it is a must do I believe.. Good luck and keep the eye on the prize

pickled hering is my favorite and sardines in hot sauce,salmon cakes made up like crab cakes are good also.

-
Back