Do you ever get discouraged with your Mopar?

-
only thing that discourages me is...i'm not working hard enough to afford all I want to do to my Mopars. Time is money. Kids are young so I need to spend time with them...one day...I hope...

aloha

Same here. I get tired of trying to think of all the things that need done and me with no money, fixing the house or simply keeping my family happy. As of now I do just enough to keep the car drivable. and when i have time and money I will pick a project to improve it. I am 43 semi-retired, i mow the neibours yard to get spending money. save till i have enough to do something with. Winter project is to pull the motor, sand and paint the engine bay just to put the old dirty motor back in till next time i have money.
Just step back check it out and remember why you WANT THIS CAR.

I feel like I'm getting nowhere with the Demon. The big payoff happened by April when i dropped the 360 Magnum into the engine bay, but ever since then it's been little **** that's going wrong. First, a rocker arm bolt snapped, then a pushrod bent. This weekend, I installed a plug onto the back of my dash panel so I can remove it when I need to, and now have an intermittent gauge problem....

Contrast that with my neighbor's 71 Nova. I'm doing the resto with him and in less than a week we took out the subframe, wire wheeled and ground it all up, painted it, and are now moving on to the lower A-arms. We popped the bushings and ball-joints out with my ball-joint tool yesterday, and are now on our way to blasting them and painting them. With this car, it's almost a nut-and-bolt restification, but I feel like we've got a LOT farther than I have with my Demon...

Put some small goals on paper for the week and cross them off as you go.

Mine were baby steps and took me 8 years and I'm still not finished, but it's on the road and bringing smles.

for me, its a constant battle to not be discouraged. its very hard for me to stay motivated and positive. the only way i can do it is to not think about it and just plug along. now i just have the nightmare of tuning my car. which is worse than rebuilding it. talk about frustrating. spending a whole day screwing with a carb and timing and getting nowhere. but even though its running like crap, it feels good when people look and smile. so just keep your goal in mind, and take one step at a time.

At times although now it's usually more like overwhelmed by the time and money required. I find that keeping the project moving is key to not getting overwhelmed or losing interest. That is hard for many of us to do because of other responsibilities. What does get my goat is having to spent time and $$$ fixing things that were already done once i.e. leaks. This drives me nuts. :angry4:

for me it seems to be either lack of time/money/or place to work on it
as of right now I have some of everything
but now its motivation

I have a few other projects non mopar related
and I cant seem to get motivated to do them :)
altho I now have a month worth of parts if I work 60hr a week at it :)

I quess I should get off my lazy a$$ and get back to work

cudaspaz i'm going to take your advice and write down some small goals i can accomplish before winter comes. And as i sit on my back porch and look at my car i remember why i wanted it seven years ago. The black and gold looks good together, the 295 50r15's look great with skinnies up front and it has a muscular look (to me). Thanks for all the input guys i was really contemplating selling this car the past couple of days, but now i'm singing a different tune MOPAR OR NO CAR!!!

It's hard to get stuff done with work, family, jobs,money, etc.

I make up a master list (brutally long) and a short list. The short list has only 3 or 4 related things (rear leafs, shocks,brakes) and thats it. I try to finish the short list in a few months then take a break completely. Pick a few more things that make sense at the time from the master list and make a new short list. Then do that. Make a new short list. And so on, and so on.

Kinda slow but keeps me focused and not too angry.

Happens to everyone that owns a project car. The cool thing is when your car is done and you can be proud that you've worked it yourself and all that discouraging is long gone.

old cars are a pita.... all of them ....
but i cant bring myself to get rid of any of mine, and im always looking for more even though its the last thing i need... just stay determined and do a little at a time...
doug

Discouraged... sure... but usually it's after seeing everyone's reactions to my first project. Usually their next question is "why"?

Anyway... sure it gets irritating... but for someone that loves the hobby, the irritation doesnt last long :p

100_0942.jpg

I get frustrated with my Mopars when.............

Hmmmmm......................

OK, I never get frustrated, sorry. Hell, even my boat is a Mopar power, the alternator relay went bad, and I had to hook/unhook it on start/stop.... Dodn't frustrate me none, and took less than five minutes to find.

Yep ,I like spaz's idea. Remember you're not alone with your problems.There are some of the best tecnical advisers around on this site and they're waitin for you to ask them a question.Don't get so frustrated and give up,ask for help,that's what FABO is all about!8)

-
Back