Do you ever get discouraged with your Mopar?

-

73golddusterkid

Gold Duster Kid
Reaction score
Just wondering because i get that way with my duster somtimes. It seems no matter how much money i put into my car something either goes wrong or like today i put a huge scratch on my car. Just venting here

All the time... I've owned it 8 years and only have gotten this far:

Don't feel bad though.. Just give it a couple days rest, then get back at it! That's what I have done lately.....

duster 09-07-09.jpg

Oh ya! Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. I seem to get down about my lack of money or space or ambition. But I sure like to drive it and get a charge out of the comments and conversations it gets. I was at a 400+ car cruise this last weekend and a guy commented that I was lucky to have "the only one here".
(there were a but load of Camaros and Chevelles. Enjoy your ride! toolmanmike

I have had my duster a little over a month and I have done ALOT to it so far.....but even in just that amount of time...theres days I just feel like not messing with it due to not having the money for a certain part or waiting on parts or things along those lines.....the more you sit and think about it,the more you will get overwhelmed....I have found that the best way is to devote a few hours every day or two into working on the project and you will see little by little that your making progress and then you wont feel so bad....its when you only get a chance to work on it a couple hours every few weeks or so that you begin to feel like your getting nowhere fast....even doing the little things can feel like a big accomplishment,so get at it and don't let it make you feel like it cant be done....even with little money and tools,alot can be accomplished!....good luck

Went to fix my lights on my Duster and had them working for a few minutes. Shut the car off, went to start it and nothing....so we went through every wire and everything checked out. I'm just gonna replace all the wiring this winter.

You ain't the only one, brother.

Another season almost gone, and she still ain't licensed.

I think we all feel that way sometimes. Sometimes it just seems that things aren't going your way, and the discouragement sits in. Things will get better though. These things seem to be temporary.

We all do, don't feel like the "Lone Ranger" on this. I have had mine since 1985, it still isn't finished. It looks okay, but economics, time, enthusiasm and being just plain lazy have always been the factors, in my not having the car I envision. Just walk away from it, now and then. It is better to leave them alone for awhile rather than do things half-arz.

Yep! I go months at a time with no interest at all, then one day a light comes on and I start working on it again. I think one of my biggest issues is money but the main reason I stop is not knowing what to do about certain issues. Like right now, I have the new motor sitting in the plum crazy car and it looks gorgeous - but...I have a riding condition between the passenger side header and the torsion bar which i don't know how to solve and instead of working on other stuff I'm just stopped dead. My other car runs great and drives nice but the wiring under the dash is a mess and there are a bunch of scary bubbles under the vinyl top. Do I rip it off and begin one more expensive project? Do I tear the dash apart and rewire the whole thing? Who's going to pay for all of this? Sheesh!!!

Just a quick note.

Older cars (Mopar, GM, Ford, etc....) all have these problems. It's the hobby. If you do it yourself, you run into the hurdles. Have a beer then try again.

fastmopar

I'm right there beside ya in the lack of
money, time and ambition boat.

011501010207010405200807166d06303595995bbd9100d308.jpg

I took a two month break from mine this summer because I was fed up with having to re-do things. Spinning wrenches got to be work instead of fun.

I'm back into it now and having a good time again.

Steve

I get discouraged all of the time, then i take a break from it and go back at it......
It eventually gets done.

if I can do these things, literally ANYONE can!! see my posts - many are pepperred with curses - i am a short bald sicilian so wrenches and curses get tossed easily. too easily and its something i need to work on. BUT i am persistent and ask millions of questions and learn a lot along the way. the way i figure it - i have 3 options:
- never have any toys
- win the lotto and buy the toys already done
- realize that i dont play the lotto, i like getting dirty, and building is more than 1/2 the fun for me and no one else is gonna do it , so just keep digging at it

this forum has been a Godsend and i appreciate all help i have recieved. i just hope to be able to reciprocate one day.

Yeah, but mine is more not having the funds to put into it right now. Still need ot finish body work and haven't been able to do any of that in a year now..

Yes. Every time I look at my car to see what if would take to restor it. Also when I total up what all the mods would cost that I would like to de to the car. It is very discouraging. But I just keep saving up money in my car fund and do what work I can to the car for now and keep dreaming.

If you take the approach to do what you can as you able to do it; do as many of the things you can do yourself instead of paying someone else to do it; and realize it's a journey and not a short sprint to the finish line, you may be less discouraged about it. I always enjoy imagining how I want my Dart to be, take pleasure in the small progress I've made towards that goal, and am really glad how much I've been able to improve it in the three short years I've had it. Hang in there, 73Gold.

Thanks guys, everything that was said helps. It just seems like i've put more money into the driveline than anything else. Three years ago the body looked amazing now it doesn't look as good, my bumpers i had re-chromed are rusty, and i cant ever seem to keep the damn valve covers from leaking! Oh and i'm no where even close financially to start on the interior, damn gold interiors!

Thanks guys, everything that was said helps. It just seems like i've put more money into the driveline than anything else. Three years ago the body looked amazing now it doesn't look as good, my bumpers i had re-chromed are rusty, and i cant ever seem to keep the damn valve covers from leaking! Oh and i'm no where even close financially to start on the interior, damn gold interiors!

HAHAHAHA I know what you mean about the damn gold interior lol....its gotta go. all metal interior panels are going plum crazy purple and all plastic,vinyl and flooring and headliner and seats go black......getting close to have the interior done,need to save up some cash for some more supplies first

Remeber their just machines and even new machines break down. And we are just caregivers until the next person takes over. So just enjoy them while you have them.

I have been working on my 67 Dart 11 years. Just ordered the upholstery. I have done all the reatoration myself. When you work and have kides in the house it's a forever thing. I retired 5 years ago and am 67 so I have lots of time to work on it (not lots of money though). When you get discouraged-back off for a time and relax. I guess money is a big issue for many of us. Just remember; Yard by yard life is hard, inch by inch life is a cinch.
The most important thing is-do it right.

Dave

Just wondering because i get that way with my duster somtimes. It seems no matter how much money i put into my car something either goes wrong or like today i put a huge scratch on my car. Just venting here
Yeah,it happens. I just bought my Duster this spring,it has been 20 years since my last Duster or any Mopar, When i bought it i knew it didn't run proper,but thought nothing of it.New Camshaft later..Rad had a small leak..Shifter box failed,stuck it 2nd...And when it was all fixed i took it down the street and the reverse rod was dragging on the ground! Lost the bushing,So yeah sometimes it can be a drag..But when you look at it after you calm down..IT IS WORTH IT!!

Your not alone..... I can't tell you how many times I wanted to light a match in the car and close the garage doors. :angry7:

Hang in there... it's not going together overnight. The trick is to make sure your patience lasts longer than the project. Mine will be 11 years this November and I'm not done either. Granted, I can drive it, but that's only happened in the last 10 months. :-D

-
Back