Do you have regular or antique/classic plates?

My e-body is your registered as:

• Regular plate

Votes: 17 30.9%
  • Classic plate with restrictions

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • Antique plate with restrictions

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Classic or antique, but my state doesnt have restrictions on these plates' use

Votes: 15 27.3%

• Total voters
-
In Michigan, if you have a plate from the year your car was built, you can register it for $65 (not sure but its close to that) and never pay for plates again.

dusterdon, here in Michigan the same year plates are $35.00 and no need to re-register. I have them on all 3 cars and I basically drive them whenever I want to. I usually don't drive them to work, but if it's nice and the job is close, I might squeak out an occasional trip in the vert!!! Just send in a photocopy of the plate with a copy of your title and insurance, and in a couple of weeks it all comes in the mail. Can't do it at the secretary of state, it's a mail in only!!! Geof

I have antique tags on my Demon and never been harassed(so far), for over 10 years I had them. Then again I keep it stock appearing like it should from factory to keep from getting harrased. So I would too is borrow some ralley wheels and retake the pics and try again.

John

Have you tried any of the plastic walmart hub caps, Or have someone do a photo shoot of his wheels & transpose them onto your car I have seen some guys on HAMB do it

Shadango,
I put antique plates on my Dart in 95 for the same reason.. I had rallyes on it at the time and no problems..I think PA is getting wiser. As stated by others borrow rallye wheels tape generic caps over yours, or as I know others have done, send pix of another car!!!!!!!! I wish the state would go to "year of manufacture" plates.......

Good luck
Bob

I think the only restriction in Ohio is basically not a daily driver or as they say it "general transportation" with historic plates on the car. You can be in parades and go to car shows all you want. The plates are good for as long as you own the car too. They also allow year of manufacturer plates issued in Ohio and only require one plate on the back when you do that. No inspection or even viewing of the car when getting plates.

About ten years ago here in Florida they had a one time issue collectable plate that all you had to do was renew the registration each year.( paid over $100 for it) Well a glitch in the system allowed fot any car 25 years or older to get one, we had some real junk on the road with these collectable plates on them. After about 4 years they deceided to change directions...ie make more money... and you could purchase a antique plate that still has to be renued every year.

The states are all about making money. They imposed an inpact fee of $350.00 to register an out of state vehicle. That lasted for about 5 years untill they discovered it was unconstitutional, they had to refund the money but only to those who filed the correct paperwork.

Its all BS.

We have three types here in Wisconsin. Antique, Collector and Hobbyist. Hobbyist is for a modified vehicle. Wisconsin created this plate to eliminate all the confusion. Only restriction is you can't drive the car in January.

shadango: As suggested, I'd put some stock looking wheels on your car and resubmit the photos.

I don't think we have any rules like that in Colorado either. I think the only requirement here is that the car is 25 years or older. I have the antique plates on mine now but we can also run the year of the car on antique cars, so I'm going to try and find a pair of '69 plates to put on mine. We do have the law about running an issued plate in the front though.

The other great thing about Co. collecter plates here is you have to get it to pass emmisions once then you can do what you want. As long as you don't let them expire you exempt from emmisions and they are 5 year plates.

We recently bought antique tags for three Darts; 64,67, and 69. I was all ready to put them on the car until I heard it was an extra $50. With John being laid off I decided it was not worth spending the money on doing it this year. Hopefully things will be better next year and I will use them. We got ours off of Ebay and were really lucky they were in good shape. The one we got for my son was not exactly what the ad said but he didn't care. That is the only thing if you buy them off of Ebay you have to be careful.

They are Weld draglites ... 15x5 in front and 15x12 in rear ..by the way , Nice Car !! I would try what some others say .. throw a set of rallyes on it and try again .. no pics required in MN .. i think it was $28 for lifetime ..

Dave

Antique plates, but no tented windows so there are restrictions

i went and got my plates and asked about the restrictions and they told me the law had changed and there was none. got my plates for $14 and can drive it anywere and didnt need to show pix. i didnt ask about the tented windows.

no safety and emissions inspections checks here

I have regular plates on my car although they are vanity plates were less than the collector plates,because of the age of the car(over 25 years)21.50 per year.and I like the orange better than the uggglllleeeee blue plates for the collectors,better to put regular plates cause if you get into a wreck or something happens the insurance co. will not wan't to pay......cover your :bootysha:

tagg.JPG

tagginshagginwaggin.JPG

Do you have state safety inspections?

In PA, all vehciles need safety and emissions inspections.......75 and below are exempt from emissions......

If I get an antique plate, no safety inspectiosn are needed.....that saves about $75 a year plus the HASSLE of getting in somewhere that wont nit pick the car.

nope non what so ever.

only thing that sucks is we cant get the collectors or hobbiest plates personalized

I had some problems my first go around getting antique tags here in PA. If you can get them different pictures with stock appearing rims I bet it will go right through. I was denied the first time because the car didn't appear to be restored (because it is not yet), so I resent them pictures of earlier before the drunk driver took out the right rear quarter panel. Went right through. Just play there game.
Good luck!

Easy to get Antique in Texas.Good for going to and from car shows,parades,and repair shops

IMG_0287sized.jpg

i HAVE PLATES FROM THE YEAR OF MY CAR FLORIDA TAGS IN THE LATE 60'S TO EARLY 70'S (WERE JUNE 70 TO JUNE 71 EXAMPLE) THE COST IS 35.00 TO SEND TO TALLAHASSEE FOR VERIFICATION THEN THEY ARE VANITY PLATES MY DART COST 30.00 A YEAR NO RESTRICTIONS OR YOU CAN GET GENERIC BLUE TAGS FOR 25 YEAR AND OLDER CARS.

Not A Problem In Ontario, Actually I Was In There Plating Mine When The Hot Little Filley Told Me To Just By The Historic Plates, $18.00 For Sticker Compared To $76.00 Per Year.

If a old car in PA can not be 'modified' there are a whole bunch of people running antique plates illegally.
How many old hot rods are 100% pure stock??? Do you have headers, maybe a Holley, how about electronic ignition?, or the worst sin..radial tires?

Damn I'm glad that I moved to Florida years ago.
Of course, the antique tag here is a light blue with red letters. Would look like crap on a Top Banana over black car.

-
Back