Do you ponder do an event like Sick week?

-

Oldiron440

Reaction score
Every time I watch an event like Sick week or dragweek I think about actually doing it. Now both of my projects are doable my Plymouth would need one of those fuel tank trailers the farmers pull, full of E-85. At will say 3 miles per gallon I'd be buying 300 gallons of fuel for an 800 mile trip plus 5 days of racing. I know it would run some 10.0s. I see a problem with running a BBM as nobody else is running one so who do you get help with parts? You'd have to bring every spare part you can put your hand on. It's just about as bad for my little 11 second Ford, parts a little better, fuel economy in the 7 to 8 mpg range, motel rooms about 9 days worth. Sounds like a 2.5 k vacation provided you dont hurt the block or transmission.
I guess I will just drive my junk the 60 miles to and from my local track...

Last edited:
Same here, I'm in Wisconsin to so i would have the initial to and from travel on top of raceweek. I'd like to do it. Maybe once all my kids are grown up some I'll have some more freedoms to travel and do something like that. Someday.. sure looks like an absolute blast though

Sounds like a bunch of money and trouble to me for little return and possibly tearin chit up.

It does look like fun, but I'd rather do crusing, like maybe something like the power tour or some such. I'm done breakin chit racin. I raced a little when I was married to my first wife and a couple of times with Kitty. I can only imagine what costs are involved now. We could probably afford some crusin, but racin and breakin chit. No thanks. LOL

Definitely, i cant imagine the costs involved in Tom baileys camp or even cleetus McFarland's group it has to be ridiculous but money spent never hurts as bad when your having the time of your life with your buddies i would bring my small block 4 speed duster, extra a833 extra clutch and misc parts my 8 3/4 already has a full spool and nitro axles so id assume my trans would be the weak link would sure be fun id think until your stranded states away and have to run truck and trailer to pick up your broken junk lol

All the time! If I was going to do it I'd shoot for a "daily driver" power adder type of class. Maybe 28x10.5 small tire class with one of my chargers once I get caught up? It sounds like a blast if you can save up enoygh to make it happen.

Waiting hours at each track to maybe get 2 passes does not work for me. The guy in the Dakota Pickup hot lapped several times towards the end of the day at SGMP to have some fun.

I'm planning on running Drag Week with my brother in the Duster this year. My car isn't even close to being competitive but it should be reliable enough. I've wanted to do Drag Week since it first started and this is the first time for me it's been an achievable goal.

Do you ponder do an event like Sick week?

no..lol. had a friend do drag week last year and man it just seems way too rushed and too much a hassle for me. he said he had a lot of fun and wanted to do sick week but owning his own business he couldn't spare the time and money it would take to do... wouldn't mind running the car at the track here and there but it seems like way too much waiting around for 1 run then rush to the next town... i'd rather take the car on a nice vacation and drive it where and when i want.. i'm sure you meet a ton of great people though.. i'm more a power tour type of guy (and even that seems rushed). maybe one day i'll actually get to do the power tour.

Sick Week is great because the driving distances are way shorter than other events. We don't have anything like this up in the PacNW. I would go in a heartbeat just to experience it. I wouldn't even care if I tore stuff up. Make arrangements and bring as many spare parts as possible and see what happens. If you break, you break. Go have some fun and make new friends.

Sick Week is great because the driving distances are way shorter than other events. We don't have anything like this up in the PacNW. I would go in a heartbeat just to experience it. I wouldn't even care if I tore stuff up. Make arrangements and bring as many spare parts as possible and see what happens. If you break, you break. Go have some fun and make new friends.

are they limited on trailer size like drag week/? no support vehicles either?

are they limited on trailer size like drag week/? no support vehicles either?

Good question. I'm not sure. I was watching Devin Vanderhoof's channel and he put a lot of time into his trailer setup. Not sure about dimensions though.

I do believe the tow trailers need to stay in Bradenton for the entire event.

i just looked it up.. was too lazy earlier..lol

NO TRAILERS, NO SUPPORT VEHICLES •Vehicles in competition may not be led or followed at any distance by support vehicles of any kind. A support vehicle is one used to supply, or with the intent of supplying, any rescue efforts or to carry anything for a competitor, including luggage, tools, fuel, repair parts or spares, and helpers or crew. Support vehicles towing just-in-case trailers are not allowed. •Racers may not be followed by motorhomes for overnight accommodations. •All vehicles must be driven under their own power during the entire Sick Week competition and may not be towed, trailered, pushed, or hauled at any time. The exception is in the event of an emergency in which a vehicle needs to be removed from the roadway or other dangerous situation, in which case assistance may be used to move the car a short distance to a safe area, for example, to the next highway exit. •A Sick Week phone number will be supplied to participants. If an entrant wishes to forfeit the competition by loading the vehicle on a trailer or otherwise enlisting an illegal support vehicle, the number must be called to immediately notify the staff of the forfeiture. •Violation of the support-vehicle and crew rules is cause for immediate disqualification at the Race Director’sdiscretion.

TRAILERS AND CARGO ON COMPETITION VEHICLES •Each competition vehicle may tow a single trailer with a maximum cargo area no larger 142 cubic feet, which is the advertised size of a standard 4x8 box trailer (which is 4’1” wide, 4” tall, 8’1” long; the math doesn’t quite add up to 142). If measuring in inches, cubic feet is (LxWxH)/1728. Measurements include anything carried on the trailer. •Trailers may not contain any components that contribute to cooling, charging, oiling, or fueling the competition vehicle while the trailer is being towed

Good question. I'm not sure. I was watching Devin Vanderhoof's channel and he put a lot of time into his trailer setup. Not sure about dimensions though.

I do believe the tow trailers need to stay in Bradenton for the entire event.

I like the motorcycle trailer setup that the Motion Raceworks crew uses. Should fit all the necessities without being a pain in the *** to tow.

Last edited:
My buddy and I did Rocky Mountain Race Week last year. We did the "road week" option, which is just following along and having a good time (no racing). Since it was our first time, we just wanted to experience it as followers. We had a great time and are going again this year.

They're currently FREEZING their asses off at this year's SICK WEEK.
Of all the obstacles they contemplated facing, freezing probably wasn't one of them.
Cold weather is the worst part of Drag Racing, especially here in FL.
No heaters in race cars.

sick EVENTg.jpg

my weather app is saying its 60* in gainsville fla. 68* in orlando. thats freezing? sounds like a nice spring/fall day to me.. :)

I thought the pump gas drags was a much more realistic event to be a participator in, but for whatever reason they did away with that one.

I’ve done a few hot rod drag weeks as crew/support. Never raced one. The common response to would you do it again from anyone I’ve talked to is an astounding yes. If you haven’t done one you’ll likely not understand. It’s the ultimate test of man and machine, (second only to the Baja 1000 IMO which I’ve raced 8 times and finished only twice). It really is a life experience that any car guy or girl needs to tackle at least once.

Well, managed to get registered for Drag Week this year so I better get the car back together.

20220128_205623.jpg

-
Back