Doc's 67 Cuda Resto' Thread

-

pastortom1

Reaction score
Well, we finally got the little Cuda here from NY after some delays, and she's out in the garage gettin' her first stage of face-lift.......

We ordered new carpet from ACC and I couldn't be more pleased again with the quality, as usual......I opted for "Burnt Orange" like I had in my Demon.....with the white upholstery and panels, and some new Cherrywood panel accents and dash, I think this new color is gonna be KILLER......

We did the rear deck panel while we were right in there as well, and after the install I set the new mats in that my wife got for Christmas.......Next will be the Chrysler Burnt Orange lacquer on the door tops (the steel), and around the bottom of the dash and the floor shift column that's on the way. I'll post as we go. (note the near perfect floorboards in this California Survivor!)

116_1611.jpg

116_1612.jpg

116_1613.jpg

116_1614.jpg

116_1615.jpg

116_1616.jpg

I've always been a huge fan of a white interior. The burnt orange sets it off nicely. Good choice. :thumblef: :thumbrig: :thumbup:

Wylde1.

Looks rather Co-orrrrrrrrr-inthian, do it not? Can't wait to get to the doors and woodgrain, BUT I gotta tear down the cluster first........got a rebuilt speedo and need to redo the wiring.......right now I'm driving blind......the only gauges that work are the vacuum and amps......

Good choice on the carpet,looks great with the white.8) Good choice on the car ,too.:-D

I put on the base color today for the rear steel above the panels......the front panels get the same treatment above them on the doors........

I didn't think it would "POP" like it does in the light......it's a burnt copper metallic over a black base, then clear lacquer to give it the original look.

I think this is gonna look good with the burnt orange carpet and the white interior.........I'll take some shots of the install when it's done, maybe tomorrow..........lots of sanding to do on the doors yet, then the shoot. (by the way, that's one of my original door panels).

116_1626.jpg

Doc, I make the trip south, besides hooking up with Noel, I'll have to try to hook up with you, too. I wanna see this thing up close.

Color change of the interior door areas is well under way......Thought I'd post some pics and progress.

We're using lacquers to duplicate most closely the original look and feel of the steel parts, but changing the color to match the Burnt Orange carpeting we just installed. You can see the original color of the door steel was a dull light gold. Our new color is a burnt copper metallic over a black base, and clear lacquer to seal it.

Lacquers have excellent adhesive qualities, and dry to a very thin film in comparison to newer base/clears....but they have a satiny look when dry (without buffing) that is a dead ringer to the original finishes in the old cars.

We sanded the old finish with 320 dry, then rubbed with 000 steel wool to smooth it and dull all the little creases in the steel we may have missed. After checking for larger scratches, we cleaned it with pure lacquer thinner, then a final prep solvent. (the thinner helps prepare the older paint for a recoat without the need for sealers....in 35 years, we've never had a chip or peel for lack of adhesion in this type of work).

Black Metallic base, then Burnt Copper Metallic, then 2 wet clear coats....after a good drying time, she's ready for the panels and hardware. I'll post the finished pic tomorrow.

116_1638.jpg

116_1639.jpg

116_1640.jpg

Just put on the chrome trim after a quick polish at the wheel and installed the panel. The pressure vents will go on later. I'm just waitin' for the new chrome armrest bases from Canada, and we'll be in business.....replaced the old light gold armrest pads with new white ones. I had some trouble with one of the whiskers when I unmasked the door, but a little old style contact cement fixed it up quick. Lubed the mechanisms while I was in there too....nice and smooth now.

The old weatherstrips look great....I was shocked....I ordered all new clips from "521 Restorations" for them....right now they're gettin' washed really good in dish detergent with a toothbrush...before they go on, they'll get a treatment to keep 'em soft and new.

116_1641.jpg

116_1642.jpg

Just received the new pads and armrest bases from PG Classics.......Put them on, and WHAT a difference.......finishing touches......Love 'em....appx. $150. for the pair complete. (the chrome is incredible on these....).

The dash pad was cracked a little too, and a bronze color......Instead of paying the high cost of a new one and then having to refinish it, I opted for a carpeted full cover with a 1/2" chrome trim.......It really balanced the color and "wrapped" the interior. The cost was about 20 bucks compared to nearly 375 for a new pad with refinishing.

116_1666.jpg

116_1667.jpg

116_1669.jpg

Just fit the new woodgrain wheel before refinishing the dash, and finished the fit and install of the NOS Craig 8-Track/FM underdash (it'll blow yer' head off) and the near mint AM Radio in the dash (WHAT a pain to install....there's not a 10th of an inch space between the ashtray and the radio.....nightmare).....

What I really need is a good dash bezel........mine has been cut for a larger radio.......I want the dash back to original........I really don't wanna pay the $475. for new repro......I'd rather restore one myself and do my own woodgrain.

I bought some "custom" door panel pieces that will be finished in real mahogany laminate......gonna do the dash in the same.

116_1667_2.jpg

116_1668.jpg

That interior looks awesome!

Not too sure about the carpet on the dash though, are you gonna put a black dashpad or cap on in the future?
I used a year-None dash cap, pretty cheap, like $109 to my door.

-
Back