Doctor Rant

-

Charrlie_S

Reaction score
Went to the Dr, yeasterday. Apointement time was 10:45. I arrived prior to 10:30, and signed in. A few minutes later I was given a cup for a sample, and then put in an exam room, where the PA took my blood pressure, and asked my hight and weight. At 11:05 I left the room,went to the desk, told the women at the desk I was leaving, and to reschedule, when they could see me close to the appointment time. Why can't doctors have some consideration for their patients? My time is just as valuable to me, as the doctors is to him. If they get backed up, at least have the curtisey to inform the patient, and give the option as whether to wait, leave and come back later, or reschedule. I have done this to several doctors, and now if I need to wait, they at least let me know. I wish more people would do this, and maybe the Dr's would not be so inconsiderate.

Yes, that bites. That is why I always get the first appointment of the day. If you did that here the doctors would no longer see you or you would still pay the full bill. According to my doctor, it is going to get much worse with the Obama care and the red tape that it has caused. I have already seen a slow down in his office.

Charlie, I have done and will continue to do the same thing. And I did have one try to charge me the copay but I refused. In fact, when I go to that Dr. now and they ask for the copay up front I tell them I will pay after I am seen.

So, I always ask for the first appt. of the day now.
C

20 Min late isn't really that bad ! My Doctor starts at 5:30 with walkins and appointments at 6:30 he could be to 30 patients by 10:30 if eack patent needed 1 min extra on average that's 30 min behind.Id rather a doctor who is that way to his patients how would you feel if your doctor rushed you through your appointment in 3 min just so he could get back on track? But believe me I hear what you are saying our damn hospital here is like a night club if ten are in nobody else goes in until someone leaves! People sitting waiting with bleeding wounds or damn near croaking in the waiting room before they get in.

It can be very frustrating to sit in that little room, waiting for the Doc to come in. When I find myself getting aggravated about it, I just ask myself "What if the person before me is getting bad news about cancer or something?" When I do that, my frustrations seem to disappear.

A good friend of mine is a GP. We talked about this after I voiced frustration over a very similar situation as yours. He said that some patients are cut and dry, others want to chat about the laundry list of ailments. He said the older the patient, the longer the list. Now a days, doctors have to pack their schedules to keep the practice in positive territory.
I like what JD says above.........you think you have problems.

I hear both sides.
I like charlie had a bad time last time.
I have to drive into dallas which SUCKS.
Then I was 15 minutes early, and waited 1:45 for a 5 minute, uh hu, uh hu, uh uh, Ok see you in 3 months.
They need to be accountable for their actions just like anyone else.

And yes I was not dying that day, but I might tomorrow.

I had the privilege of taking Billy's mom to her doctor's appointment in early February so she could get her flu shot. The office wasn't particularly busy but there were a few waiting, and every one of them was hacking, coughing and looked like hell. It took almost an hour between her walking in the door and walking out, most of which I spent outside rather than hanging out with a bunch of sick people.

End game, Vert didn't get the flu or have any adverse reactions to the shot. Leanna the driver ended up with the worst case of flu I've ever had ... 13 days of stomach problems which migrated into a chest cold and is now finally -- and thankfully!! -- ending after a few days of true blue pneumonia and my own doctors' appointments.

No good deed goes unpunished I guess.

The incident that got me to the point of not waiting, was several years ago. The doctor had me waiting till 2pm for an 11am appointment, and I had nothing to eat that morning. I walked out after the 2 hours, and vowed never again. The doctor sent me a bill for a missed appointment. I had my own business, and sent him a bill for two hours waiting time. His office said I ouldn't do that. I said we could have a judge decide. That ended that discussion.
It is not all doctors. Many are great.
I understand doctors can get delayed, and have no problem with that. I have been to a doctor with my wife (many medical problems). Her doctor has a sign in the office "IF you have been waiting more then 15 minutes, notify the receptionist". We have been told that the doctor is running about "X" late, and would you like to continue to wait, leave and come back in about "X" later, or reschedule". All I ask is a little consideration, and be kept informed.
If some can do that, why not more.
It so happened that day, I was driving somene else to their VA doctors appointment, after mine, and might have been late, if I had stayed, not knowing how long it might take. YOU DO NOT MISS A VA APPOINTMENT.

Went to the Dr, yeasterday. Apointement time was 10:45. I arrived prior to 10:30, and signed in. A few minutes later I was given a cup for a sample, and then put in an exam room, where the PA took my blood pressure, and asked my hight and weight. At 11:05 I left the room,went to the desk, told the women at the desk I was leaving, and to reschedule, when they could see me close to the appointment time. Why can't doctors have some consideration for their patients? My time is just as valuable to me, as the doctors is to him. If they get backed up, at least have the curtisey to inform the patient, and give the option as whether to wait, leave and come back later, or reschedule. I have done this to several doctors, and now if I need to wait, they at least let me know. I wish more people would do this, and maybe the Dr's would not be so inconsiderate.

I've made it a practice to tell the nursing staff AND the doctor on my first visit that my time is as valuable as theirs, I can give then 20 minutes of wait time and then the clock starts ticking I wait after that at 40.00 per 15 minutes (similar to a plumbers rate and bill(round up to the next fifteen if it's a second over) I've had one doctor test me and I billed him 120.00 for the wait time(net 30) after 30 day of non payment I sent it to a bill collector with a 90.00 late fee attached. didn't get a response after 30 more and sent it and another 90.00 late fee to the lawyers and then it got paid 300.00 plus lawyer fee.
needless to say I didn't use that doctor again but the word did get out that I was not wasting my time because they over book their selves.
was it wrong to do that, I don't know but if it happens again I'll do the same thing. they charge for a missed or late doctors appointment so I'm charging for a late doctors appointment also!

Remember when we used to go the Dr. and he had all the medicine you needed in the office and your mom just wrote out a check and there was NONE of the insurance B.S.?????????? Where the hell did medical insurance come from anyway???????

Remember when we used to go the Dr. and he had all the medicine you needed in the office and your mom just wrote out a check and there was NONE of the insurance B.S.?????????? Where the hell did medical insurance come from anyway???????

Government regulations and you can expect a whole bunch more very soon.

Not all docs are like that, just do not go back and try a different doc.

I went to a skin doc last week, got there 20 mins early and they took me right away and I was out of there in under 20 mins.

This other skin doc my folks go to, his waiting room usually is half full and you always wait. They like him thou so they wait, I would not---I drive 15 mins father away to see a different doc, lol

From greed, people don't have $$$ to spend on docs but if their insurance pays for it, then its all cool.

Health care must be the biggest ripoff out there. Its a big racket. Government regulations are half the problem. I don't blame Obama cause things got really bad before he came along. Yeah he isn';t doing much about lowering costs-yet who is.

Best part is, most of us still die before the age of 100, many before 90--yet Benjamin Franklin who was born in 1706 lived for 84 years....isn't that a joke

Best part is, most of us still die before the age of 100, many before 90--yet Benjamin Franklin who was born in 1706 lived for 84 years....isn't that a joke

Ben Franklin didn't have processed foods, McDonalds, Burger King, cars, electricity, and so many other health compromising things in his life.
Seeing a Doctor was a rare thing. Have a Doctor available was probably even more rare.
People walked instead of drove. Pumped water, and carried buckets of water to the house. Made much of their own furniture, and fixtures (manual labor)drank well water, fresh milk, even fresh rum, and home brewed beer. Used all natural ingredients in their cooking, and just lived a more natural life style that we do.

Maybe medicine wasn't what it is today, but most people lived healthier lives than we do now. No couch potatoes.
Even working on our cars isn't "Healthy" for us, it doesn't hurt, either, but it's a ton better than watching TV or messing around on a computer.

Franklin lived a long life because, even with gout, he was an active person, with a decent diet, not to mention a fertile mind.

It really doesn't matter much to me once Obama care kicks in my case Will most likely go before the death panel, when ever I need treatment.

As far as what the OP posted. Yes I have walked out of more then one doctors office.

Ben Franklin didn't have processed foods, McDonalds, Burger King, cars, electricity, and so many other health compromising things in his life.
Seeing a Doctor was a rare thing. Have a Doctor available was probably even more rare.
People walked instead of drove. Pumped water, and carried buckets of water to the house. Made much of their own furniture, and fixtures (manual labor)drank well water, fresh milk, even fresh rum, and home brewed beer. Used all natural ingredients in their cooking, and just lived a more natural life style that we do.

Maybe medicine wasn't what it is today, but most people lived healthier lives than we do now. No couch potatoes.
Even working on our cars isn't "Healthy" for us, it doesn't hurt, either, but it's a ton better than watching TV or messing around on a computer.

Franklin lived a long life because, even with gout, he was an active person, with a decent diet, not to mention a fertile mind.

Well put. I will add the video games to your list. Back when I was growing up you busted your a$$ to get to go out and play but now days most of the kids think going outside is no fun unless they are going somewhere for premade entertainment.

-
Back