Dodge 318

-

OldJoe54

Reaction score
So I found a guy willing to sell a Dodge 318 long block. It came out of a Power Wagon which was a former military vehicle. It has a 727 auto attached with a tail piece for a 4 wheel drive. EnginHe has never been apart, he says it spins freely. He has no other info on this engine. My interest in this engine is to upgrade my /6 to a small block. So, give it to me straight, pros and cons. I am not an experienced tech, but I am not afraid to get my hands dirty, but I also don't want to get in over my balding head.

Go for it, not a bad swap at all... but the price should be really cheap!~
I'd ditch that tranny for a 2wd one, so easy and cheap to find.

You'll need motor mounts, car pan and pickup tube .... V8 exhaust - perhaps a radiator as well

If it has truly never been apart, depending on how old it is, it will have nylon teeth on the timing gears. You should at least replace the timing gears and chain

Edit: yank the fuel pump and look inside, see what timing set it has, and finger the timing chain to see how much slop it has

Edit: yank the fuel pump and look inside, see what timing set it has, and finger the timing chain to see how much slop it has
Had a Ford 289 loose nylon teeth, needless to say a bunch of bent valves and pushrods.

If it was me... I would reseal the engine, replace the timing chain, at a minimum.

There will / might be front accessory drive parts to get

Nothing wrong with a 318 for your first swap, but as said above, make sure it's cheap. Any chance you can confirm the mileage on it? I'd look at it as a core for a rebuild since your going thru the whole swap over deal. As far as that trans, i'm not sure about the tail shaft setup from a 4wd truck to the A body? May be better off with a 904 as far as getting it mounted. Others here will know for sure. More then likely you have a 7 1/4 rear end, but if don't go overboard trying to make bigger hp from a mild 318, it should live...for a while. :)

All that said, take your time, learn what you need, and most important, enjoy the process. You can't beat the feeling of satisfaction from a job well done the first time out with the V8 power.

Depends on price and condition. AND WHAT year? Might be a Poly, is it even an LA? What year?

You at minimum will need to

Either get 6 to 8 "swap" mounts or drum up a V8 K member for your car

Likely need different exhaust manifolds

Need proper engine brackets (engine to mount brackets)--Pickup will not fit

Trans you will need to find the parts to convert to 2WD tailshaft and housing

A body front sump pan. Truck is rear sump, and will of course need oil pickup tube

Depending on year of engine and year of car you may need to change either timing cover/ water pump/ pulleys, or use radiator with appropriate lower outlet. Water pump styles and the side of exit changed about ?? 69

Depends how much your paying for it ?
With out hearing run at least I'd want to tear it down to short block and check it over.
I wouldn't pay too much is an unknown, plan on being stock or basic upgrades?

Depends what your doing you might be better off finding a 5.2/5.9 Magnum.

Yeah, you'll need car oil pan, dipstick and tube and motor mounts. Go for it. 318s are great engines for first swaps or any swaps.

i see "former military vehicle" and i think "ragged out joyride machine".

but if the motor is cheap enough? sure. but not to down play it, the swap isn't a slam dunk. as mentioned above you'll need a bunch of peripherals. but it's a great first swap to tackle, low risk and tons of parts available.

And depending on what it’s going in to, you might need some v8 steering parts. What vehicle are you working on?

Not to mention the crank pilot to convertor hub change in 66 IIRC.
That would have no effect on the LA 318. Also was it 66? For the slant 6, the change occurred in 68. 67 and prior had the small register, 68 forward the large. I'm unfamiliar with any change or when they did it for the 318, but the first year for the LA 318 was 67.

Thanks everyone who has been replying. A quick update, it is a '73 block, and mileage is unknown. It came out of an emergency response military vehicle which makes me think that it wasn't beat on, and was probably given some type of regular maintenance.

All 318's have the large diameter converter hole. Get a transmission with one to match if it's an automatic application. What year is this slant 6 to 318 conversion? There could be all sorts of extra costs involved if all he has is a 318 long block. A/C? P/S?

Thanks everyone who has been replying. A quick update, it is a '73 block, and mileage is unknown. It came out of an emergency response military vehicle which makes me think that it wasn't beat on, and was probably given some type of regular maintenance.
73? Yeah, it's probably a nylon coated time set. Finger that timing chain and don't spend a lot of money

IDK if it was me I'd pass on it and look for a decent running engine and transmission combo from a car. There are lots of 5.2 and 5.9's out there. Or maybe I'm just lazy...

I have 2 slants, one an auto and the other a manual. I have several V8's as well. I did a 5.9L swap into my 72 Charger. IMO I would keep the slant 6. Everybody has a V8 these days, how many people still have the slant 6. The slant is a fast peppy motor when it's running right. My slants will go head to head with any V8 all day long.
Just my $0.02

-
Back