Dodge Dart Kit Car Program

-

ab7fh

Reaction score
Been into A-bodies for 35 years and this is the first I've seen or heard of this:

KitCar2.jpg

add6a.jpg

add6b.jpg

millikan-vi.jpg

DETROIT -- Components for a race car that can be assembled do-it-yourself fashion for low-dollar independent round track enthusiasts is now available from Chrysler Corporation.

The "kit car" is a performance-engineered version of compact Dodge Dart Sport 340 or Plymouth Duster two-door models on a 108-inch wheelbase.

"It's called a 'kit car' because anyone can purchase the packaged components and assemble them, just as youngsters put together scale models from a hobby shop kit," said Larry Rathgeb, manager - stock car programs for Chrysler.

"All the right parts are in the kit, and directions are explained very simply in black and white," said Rathgeb. "The buyer will be responsible for welding the parts and most will assemble their own engines. But, the beauty of the program is that we have taken the mystery out of building a stock car."

There is a lot more info on their website.

http://mopardealer.com/chrysler.htm

That sight has got a lot of good info on it.. I raced a a body for years, and got lots of ideas from the old kitcar program

They sure make good looking stock cars. Any pics of what you had?

If there not to big, yeah

Attachments

• PICT0011.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 783
A Challenger was the prototype of the program and I believe Dale Earnhardt was a test driver. The A bodies didn't last long because they were being replaced by the F bodies on showroom floors for '76.

It's been a while, mid-'70's, but I believe Buddy Baker drove a kit car in the 24 hours of Daytona. If memory serves me right, he was doing rather well till he blew the motor or trans! Don't recall if it was an A-body or F-body. Anybody have any more info?

I remember when those were in the Direct Connection catalog. I was bummed when they quit the program.

A Challenger was the prototype of the program and I believe Dale Earnhardt was a test driver. The A bodies didn't last long because they were being replaced by the F bodies on showroom floors for '76.
Actually, NONE of the kitcars were A body chassis, they were "E" body based, with "A" body sheet metal, untill the f bodys came out, then thats what they used for bodies.

i was working at a plymouth dealer parts dept in 1979..i ordered a direct conntection part number.. got a call from them.. turns out i ordered a complete volare kitcar and they wanted to check before they billed us for it, even though it was on back order.....almost lost my job over that!

There's a company out there somewhere that still makes them (as well as E-Body and B-Body kit cars too). I stumbled across it a few years ago when looking for parts for my '73 Dart Sport (the 340/727 car). But I forgot to bookmark the website.

IIRC they were similar to the ones listed in this thread, and did have an E-Body front frame section

I seen one for sale on ebay one time, don't remenber what it wint for, but steel ant seen one in person yet!

It's been a while, mid-'70's, but I believe Buddy Baker drove a kit car in the 24 hours of Daytona. If memory serves me right, he was doing rather well till he blew the motor or trans! Don't recall if it was an A-body or F-body. Anybody have any more info?

You are correct on Dale Earnhardt being the test driver and If I remember Correctly it was built by Petty Enterprises.

I was told that these Kit Cars would clean up at nost tracks that ran them.
This is why I like Chrysler products.
Out spent by ford & chevy, & A MoPar still kicked thier asses.
Chrysler always done more with nothing than the competetion.

-
Back