Dodge Sucks...

-
Nice Work mopardude!!

I bet both those boxed arms combined
weigh less than 1 camero lower arm. hahaha

Nice Work mopardude!!

I bet both those boxed arms combined
weigh less than 1 camero lower arm. hahaha

You should see the size of the control arms on my '89 Cadillac Fleetwood limo. Those things are freakin' huge! Awwwwwwwwww crap...... did I just admit I own a GM? My bad.

Wylde1.

You should see the size of the control arms on my '89 Cadillac Fleetwood limo. Those things are freakin' huge! Awwwwwwwwww crap...... did I just admit I own a GM? My bad.

Wylde1.

I told my kids when I die to put my coffin in the back of my truck because I didn't want to take my last ride in a GM.

911 Porsches have sort of defined great all around handling cars with a great winning race hertitage.

The whole 911 Porsche family of cars used front AND rear torsion bars from 1965 to 1989.

I cant remeber how many times i have got in a Chevy is better than MoPar discussion. What usually silences them is the "and how long and how much money do you need to spend to lower your car"? Or the replacing a oil pump on a big block question.

Holding up a 3/4 inch wrench usually silences them, and pointing under the front end on a B/RB car. "oil pan, take it off? HA"

Early in drag racing they jacked up the front ends for rear wheel weight transfer. Our suspensions were built with this in mind. FX cars moved their rear wheels forward. Check the rear wheel location of the B bodies. Long trunk, rear wheels foward. Snubber and just plain MO Power.
These cars were less expensive then, now get your wallet out.
Chivvy parts are real cheap, that makes their restos real cheap.
Here comes my DREAM, I have a 440 Coronet Vert, 4 speed, NOM, buckets, console, optional side scoops annnnnd I have a 543 strokme kit. I'm not gonna max it out. It should pull 500 ponies ez.
Sometimes it's money over mind. Like when I had 4 Mopar collectibles. I couldn't possibly build all these cars, I had to cut two loose. Now it's mind over money. The price of parts to restore and engines. Where do we stop?
I have 3 G's in the stroker kit, need 3 more G's in parts to build that motor and guess what? You build a car to support the horses you wanna run. Tranny/clutch, drive shaft, rearend, cooling system, pulleys to keep the belts from jumping, man I'm tellin ya that ya build the car as you go and it's still cheaper than the 68 G's I had to give ex. Mirrors @ 410, exhaust tips @ 320 and I'm still smilin cause it's mine and it's damn fast....
Only pic I have on new puter is layin my Dad down, he was an antique dealer, the Challenger led the way, that 73 has also been to two proms. Cheers Dad, Life goes on very fast I might add...

73 Challenger.jpg

My Cars.jpg

Next time they get on this Camaro coil spring thing and the sh***y torsion bar set up ask 'em when's the last time they stuck their head under a Suburban...or a Silverado...

Not a good comparison, that HAS to be the crappiest front truck suspension made........
LOL
But I guess the Chevy guy likes them, LOL.

Early in drag racing they jacked up the front ends for rear wheel weight transfer. Our suspensions were built with this in mind. FX cars moved their rear wheels forward. Check the rear wheel location of the B bodies. Long trunk, rear wheels foward. Snubber and just plain MO Power.
These cars were less expensive then, now get your wallet out.
Chivvy parts are real cheap, that makes their restos real cheap.
Here comes my DREAM, I have a 440 Coronet Vert, 4 speed, NOM, buckets, console, optional side scoops annnnnd I have a 543 strokme kit. I'm not gonna max it out. It should pull 500 ponies ez.
Sometimes it's money over mind. Like when I had 4 Mopar collectibles. I couldn't possibly build all these cars, I had to cut two loose. Now it's mind over money. The price of parts to restore and engines. Where do we stop?
I have 3 G's in the stroker kit, need 3 more G's in parts to build that motor and guess what? You build a car to support the horses you wanna run. Tranny/clutch, drive shaft, rearend, cooling system, pulleys to keep the belts from jumping, man I'm tellin ya that ya build the car as you go and it's still cheaper than the 68 G's I had to give ex. Mirrors @ 410, exhaust tips @ 320 and I'm still smilin cause it's mine and it's damn fast....
Only pic I have on new puter is layin my Dad down, he was an antique dealer, the Challenger led the way, that 73 has also been to two proms. Cheers Dad, Life goes on very fast I might add...

this is the FX car he is taking about! built it myself!

Me And Altered.jpg

silver painted.jpg

911 Porsches have sort of defined great all around handling cars with a great winning race hertitage.

The whole 911 Porsche family of cars used front AND rear torsion bars from 1965 to 1989.

Oh yeah! I forgot about those... I just recently saw an add from a late 80's car magazine where Porsche was bragging about having torsion bars.

Also after much research on the subject, I really can't believe that more people don't use torsion bars. For example: If set up right it is possible to adjust spring rates and ride heights on the fly.. Adjusting spring rates and ride heights without changing any parts... And when you think about the packaging and aerodynamic benefits, I can't believe anyone even seriously considers coil springs. Of course some of the tech could stand for improvement but it is actually a genius design.

Sorry, I'm rambling. :book:

I am a mopar man to the end and an ex-oval racer and any self respecting builder know that T bar is no match for coil over any time any form of racing really even the greenest of builders must know the limitations of the technology he is using. Just my opinion. But for best results you must meld best of both . Sorry all may not be what you want to hear but check out what top runners are using. Ever see a tube car with Tbar duh!!!

I love torsion bars too except when trying to "thread the needle" installing headers. A PITA but so easy to adjust.

coil overs are the way to go on race cars but if your builing a street car to race in sportsman class where stock suspension parts are required you will have torsion bars if your gonna run a mopar rules have changed a bit in sportsman class since then
I am a mopar man to the end and an ex-oval racer and any self respecting builder know that T bar is no match for coil over any time any form of racing really even the greenest of builders must know the limitations of the technology he is using. Just my opinion. But for best results you must meld best of both . Sorry all may not be what you want to hear but check out what top runners are using. Ever see a tube car with Tbar duh!!!

Some books say that Chrysler went with the torsion bar suspension to get the center of mass lower for better handling. I expect this is because the beefy steel can then be at the bottom, instead of having to react at the top of the spring. It probably also lowers the "sprung mass" since the spring isn't moving up and down with the control arm. I expect the torsion bar was more expensive than a coil spring design. I don't know why racing coil-over springs are better. It may have to do with greater travel or exotic materials.

A coil spring is just a torsion bar wound into a circle!

Mopar's "Torsion-Aire" goes way back into the 50's and was designed to provide a lower center of gravity among other things. It is also substantially lighter.

I don't see why you didn't say anything, I would've given that guy quite a lecture about center of gravity and weight transfer. Coil springs and torsion bars each have their advantages and disadvantages but as far as classic GM vs. Mopar suspensions go the T-bars definitely have the leg up.

Not a good comparison, that HAS to be the crappiest front truck suspension made........
LOL
But I guess the Chevy guy likes them, LOL.

Actually, since the statement was about torsion bars and the comment made about superiority of coil springs...by Chevy guys...who obviously don't know enough about the Chevies they claim are superior... I think they don't know enough to understand (given the slack-jawed question about the LCA's) about what they're arguing about and sticking their heads under a Silverado will blow what little gray matter they have left. :-D

Yeah... I've seen a bunch of tube cars that use torsion bars... Most are called Midgets and sprints. But to say:

any self respecting builder know that T bar is no match for coil over any time any form of racing really even the greenest of builders must know the limitations of the technology he is using.

is a little over the top. Most cars are built by people with specialized interests and usually very rules limited.

Now for a stock mopar system to be compared to a full race coil-over system is a little absurd. If someone wanted to take the time to utilize the potential that torsion bars have while designing a suspension system they would be competitive enough to be banned by most sanctioning bodies.

H-E-double-hockey-sticks. GM was putting torsion bars under the S-10 Blazers in 1988 or so. I would've punched him square in the throat. ;-)

I doubt that these pillars of automotive wisdom have, or ever will see a racetrack with any brand car so enlightening them as to whats superior for a race suspension would do no good. If you don't know what an LCA is, I doubt any form of education will sway them away from their beloved Camaro's. By the way, which one of them had the Camaro??? Thats what I thought, NEITHER of them!!! Stupid weiner Chivvy lovers anyway!!! Now, back to what's really important, those badazz LCA's!!! Nice work, Geof

-
Back