Dodge Sucks...

-
Excellent post MR Grissom

Some books say that Chrysler went with the torsion bar suspension to get the center of mass lower for better handling. I expect this is because the beefy steel can then be at the bottom, instead of having to react at the top of the spring.

Pitch :read2:

It probably also lowers the "sprung mass" since the spring isn't moving up and down with the control arm.

Yaw:read2:

I don't know why racing coil-over springs are better.

they aren't...

Roll:read2:

Excellent post Mr Grissom.

Edit. 340demon... indeed they did ! THX for the engineering
reminder. & respects.
From a friend (suspension Guru) and I quote,
" when the perfect coil spring is invented , it will be a torsion bar".

Actually, since the statement was about torsion bars and the comment made about superiority of coil springs...by Chevy guys...who obviously don't know enough about the Chevies they claim are superior... I think they don't know enough to understand (given the slack-jawed question about the LCA's) about what they're arguing about and sticking their heads under a Silverado will blow what little gray matter they have left. :-D

All the grey matter was gone when they became blind loyal to GM....

*And I don't like torsion bars on anything*

Camaro's didn't have "Coil Over" suspensions, they were coil springs. Tell them to look them up and figure out the difference before talking smack.

C130 Chief is correct. A coil spring is actually a torsion bar in a circle. It always surprises engineering students when the book explains that the links in a coil spring don't bend as it compresses, they stay straight. A spring resists compression because the metal twists, just like a torsion bar. However, coil springs have an additional load which is the shear force of the vertical load. Mopar T-bars don't see this load since it is supported by the LCA bushing, they experience only pure twisting. Probably not the main advantage of T-bars, but you can use it to confound Chevy & Ford ranters - their springs must be heavier because they take a shear load.

Mopar was always coming up with dumb ideas like those torsion bar suspensions, going to hydraulic brakes in 1931, electronic ignition, and.........
makes me think there ought to be another thread of Mopar innovations or pioneering...

Mopar wasn't first...

1922 First American car with four-wheel hydraulic brakes
spacer.gif

The Duesenberg, made in Indianapolis, Indiana, is the first American car with four-wheel hydraulic brakes, replacing ones that relied on the pressure of the driver’s foot alone. Hydraulic brakes use a master cylinder in a hydraulic system to keep pressure evenly applied to each wheel of the car as the driver presses on the brake pedal.

First Chrysler w/juice brakes was 1924

wasn't it 1971 imperial had the first available ABS on a standard production car? I know ABS had been around awhile and other company's had played with it before but IIR no one had made it a standard buying option yet.

The crazy thing is that my 92 G.M truck has torsion bar suspension....

It just took 40 years or so for G.M to realise how good the t bar system is and use it in thier own vehicles,lol.

I am definitely a fan of mopar engines,transmissions and suspension systems.Every car manufacturer has thier flaws however. Mopars quality falls off not in thier engineering but in the execution of said engineering. I think many times chryslers engineers had great designs,better than the competition but the bean counters undermined thier plans.

It's tough to spend the money to build a better product when the money isnt really there. They were # 3 in sales and it hampered thier ability to build at a consistant quality level.

But mopars were ahead of thier time. The shaft rocker system is a perfect example.It is currently in wide use..

Painted and reinforced LCA's? He may keep his springs, I'll keep my "shi**y" torsion bars. They're easier to change...

wasn't it 1971 imperial had the first available ABS on a standard production car? I know ABS had been around awhile and other company's had played with it before but IIR no one had made it a standard buying option yet.

Yes. It was called SURE-STOP.
Chrysler also partnered with Bendix in 1961 to produce the worlds first Electronic, Multi-Point fuel injection. It was available on the big 300's for this year only.

BEAT THAT BOWTIE!

chevys are garbage made by fredbob and his uncle brother...

No offense to your family, but thats what you should expect from the ignorant.

Haha...that's funny right there...^^

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement... I get hammed almost daily by my brother and his friends...It's expected though..

Haha...that's funny right there...^^

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement... I get hammed almost daily by my brother and his friends...It's expected though..

Yep. What kind of brother would he be if he did not give you a hard time? I bash my brother hard all the time but only because I love him. Got to respect the brotherly love:-D

I used to oval track race a 340 powered Mopar with factory suspension against an army of Chevys in a factory stock class.
My Mopar would out handle & out run 95% of the cars on the track. The other 5% had after market springs, upper & lower A frames ect. These were the guys that were spending big money on there factory stocks. Also aleast 75% of the Chevys were running 383's both of which was illegal. I know this because I started out racing 73 Chevy Malibu in the class with a by the rules built 355ci Chevy. I later went with a 400 small block Chevy with ported & polished heads 6" rods, domed pistons to be able to compete with the cheating Chevys. Yes the 340 was by the rules built & would turn 7200 rpm every lap. The Mopar was so much of a better handling and running race car. I remember the first time brought my Mopar to the track and started adjusting the torsion bars the Chevy guys were laughing at me until I got out on the track & started kicking their AZZ'S

5520_1124034173360_1002288934_30333245_6902026_n.jpg

-
Back