Does a '69 air cleaner look wrong on a '70 Dart Swinger 340

-
I'd run that un-silenced 69 air cleaner without a second thought... I have a 70 340 air cleaner on my 70 but I bought it in the 90's for $25... No chance I'd pay todays asking price...

BTW I've used the wrinkle finish paint dozens of times... I've had varying results, and never perfect... Sometimes good, never perfect....

A buddy recently had a couple air cleaners powder coated.... They are beautiful...

So I just spent three hours blasting three air cleaners before dropping them off for powder coating.... When I get them back maybe I'll post pictures.....
The secret to spray can wrinkle paint is to use a heat gun, or blow drier to cure it after spraying it somewhat heavy. It will look amazing! Try a test sample on a clean metal scrap piece and see for yourself.

The secret to spray can wrinkle paint is to use a heat gun, or blow drier to cure it after spraying it somewhat heavy. It will look amazing! Try a test sample on a clean metal scrap piece and see for yourself.
I've had it wrinkle every time... But there's always areas that don't wrinkle uniformly... I use a heat gun, I've built a temporary rotator out of an old motor & gearbox so the paint & heating are consistent... Still doesn't turn out as well as the powder does every time....

This thread title reminds me of "do these jeans make my butt look big?" What ever you do don't answer that. Just say "cute". :rofl: :rofl:

Have one on my 72 Dart 5.9 Magnum and my 78 D100 and my 73 W200
1680409625290.jpeg

1680409684571.jpeg

Back in 1970, I bought me a barely-used 70 Swinger 340 also with a 4-speed. It was Panther-Pink and I think I still remember the serial number;
LM23H0R321200
Well almost. it seems Ima few placeholders out...............
I had a factory pink 340 auto.

They would be having a snowball fight in Hades before I paid $1000 for a '70 340 air cleaner, even NOS...

get you a later model single snorkel (like photo), cut the snorkel off and elongate the hole and make a matching second hole to emulate the 70-71 air cleaner. Paint with texture paint and add pie pan. I have seen it done and it looks pretty good.

s-l500.jpg

those 68/69 air cleaners look good on any mopar.i run one on my 77 d 100.
Yes those 68-69’s are some of the best looking factory air cleaners ever made by any mfg
I’d run them on any Mopar
Edit: But not for $1000

Last edited:
A grand would buy you an lifetime memory with a high end Vegas hooker. But an air cleaner? Naw.

A grand would buy you an lifetime memory with a high end Vegas hooker. But an air cleaner? Naw.
I thought they were more than that? You know...inflation. Either way the divorce costs would be the killer.

ps there is a nice air cleaner for sale locally for $1250 but I can't do it

I thought they were more than that? You know...inflation. Either way the divorce costs would be the killer.

ps there is a nice air cleaner for sale locally for $1250 but I can't do it
Well yeah, married and it's off limits. Besides, I got all of it I can stand right here anyway. lol

I have a '69 air cleaner that I was planning on painting with VHT wrinkle black and putting a pie plate on (hope it fits). Will this look drastically wrong? I think the 69 air cleaner is smaller in diameter and taller but I don't know.

for me it would look out of place. i'm a bit biasis though...lol bought mine in the 90's for 100 bucks and i thought that was stupid money at the time.

to most non-mopar guys they wouldn't know the difference..

DSC_0013.JPG

Yes those 68-69’s are some of the best looking factory air cleaners ever made by any mfg
I’d run them on any Mopar
Edit: But not for $1000
I sold one three years ago for $100.00. Excellent condition. Didn't need it and someone did. I don't understand why the aftermarket has not picked up on it let, as in the 68-70 exhaust manifolds.

I sold one three years ago for $100.00. Excellent condition. Didn't need it and someone did. I don't understand why the aftermarket has not picked up on it let, as in the 68-70 exhaust manifolds.

someone was repoping the 340 manifilds.. originals were cheaper..

70-71 air cleaners are pricey, but not that pricey. I saw 3 or 4 at Carlisle last year for $4-500 depending on how much work was needed. The key to looking good (IMHO) is a nice new pie tin on top, even if the air cleaner isn't exactly the right year. This one is on my 1970 Dart GT, and the other side of the Pie tin says "318"

DSC04951.JPG

Mancini racing sells the 68-69 air cleaner for around 125 and they look great.

70-71 air cleaners are pricey, but not that pricey. I saw 3 or 4 at Carlisle last year for $4-500 depending on how much work was needed. The key to looking good (IMHO) is a nice new pie tin on top, even if the air cleaner isn't exactly the right year. This one is on my 1970 Dart GT, and the other side of the Pie tin says "318"

View attachment 1716220299
Yea but what does a new repop pie tin costs these days!!!!!!!!
I agree, making one close enough ain't hard. :BangHead:

The fact anyone even considers $1000 for an air cleaner is ******* insane to me. This world really is bat **** crazy ain't it.

I bought the repop unsilenced from Mancini and a pie tin last year it was $350.00 the pie tin was the expensive piece.

-
Back