Does anyone here use classic car insurance?

-

DartorDemon

Banned
Reaction score
I been looking at Hagerty for insurance, but i don't know a ton about this kind of insurance. The muscle car i buy won't ever be a daily driver, but i live at an apartment and the "do i qualify link" conflicts with the options they will let you choose in that they say you need a secure locked enclosure, but the quote options let you choose driveway/private parking lot.

I don't suppose any weekend racers in my situation have this insurance?

I have been a Hagerty customer for years and have consistently been extremely pleased with them. They do what they say they will do, the first time, without any BS or excuses or fine print or surprises. They find flexible/creative ways to provide coverage for cars and situations that aren't necessarily standard textbook cases. Basically they are unlike any other insurance company I have ever dealt with. I've got three cars insured with them in the USA (they aren't yet in Canada, so I use a Canadian company for my car up here), and have had to put in one claim, for a windshield on my '64 Dart in Seattle. They could not possibly have been more helpful or friendly, and the check arrived inside of a week. Call and talk to them.

I been looking at Hagerty for insurance, but i don't know a ton about this kind of insurance. The muscle car i buy won't ever be a daily driver, but i live at an apartment and the "do i qualify link" conflicts with the options they will let you choose in that they say you need a secure locked enclosure, but the quote options let you choose driveway/private parking lot.

I use State Farm for everything. I have a full coverage agreed value policy on my 1969 Dodge Dart for $9500.00 and it cost less than $50.00 every six months. I carry a $500.00 deductible. Policy also includes road service.

You need to be over X age (mid 20s or something), you need to have locked storage, you need a car that is the car you drive and this can not be the car you are getting classic car insurance on.

That is the basic of what most will require.

Most likely you will have driving restrictions.

Remember…. People can and do lie or work around these requirements…… But they can deny your claim if they find out.

You need to be over X age (mid 20s or something), you need to have locked storage, you need a car that is the car you drive and this can not be the car you are getting classic car insurance on.

That is the basic of what most will require.

Most likely you will have driving restrictions.

Exactly how State Farm's rules are. I think you are limited to 2500 miles a year.

I use State Farm for everything. I have a full coverage agreed value policy on my 1969 Dodge Dart for $9500.00 and it cost less than $50.00 every six months. I carry a $500.00 deductible. Policy also includes road service.
That's who I use. I currently have liability on my Duster but have thought about getting full coverage on it. I was wondering if they would do an agreed type police on value(or whatever) on classic cars. I'm going to check in on that.

I use State Farm. I had to get my car appraised for the appropriate value and I insure it for 6 months at a time because that's all the time we have to drive them here in good ole Michigan weather! The rates are decent for the value it's appraised at.

You guys that are using State Farm I have something for you to check out.

If you have several cars you get a multicar discount on every car but did you know that if you have a hospital income policy you get another 10% discount on all your insurance. I have a hospital income policy that I have had for over 30 years and it is locked at less than $4.00 per month. Basically they pay me to have the hospital income policy because I insure so many vehicles.

You can also get discounts for you home owners insurance with State Farm. The more different types of policies you have the bigger the discounts. I get a total of 40% off.

If you have a collector car,and dont have Hagerty,you are CRAZY.
Yes they must be garaged. I have 40K declared value on my 70 and
30k declared value on my 65.No deductible,earth quake,stated value. This is for California insurance,other states may very.
Agreed apon value was with pictures,with zero haggling !
Very nice,professional,helpful people.All this for about $500.00 a year.
Remember this is California,where a "0 detuctible" is unheard of.
Its a no brainer.

Good luck getting that with anybody else.

Does the State Farm classic car policy require the vehicle to be garaged?

Regular insurance for a 66 mustang through some smaller ins. company was gonna be 43$ a month. A mopar should be similar and its still a lot more then i want to pay for a vehicle i'll drive once, maybe twice a week.

I have checked with everyone of the classic car insurance companies and none of them will cover your car if it's daily driven (mine is daily driven from April through November). I don't care so much about premiums and would be very willing to pay the same premium as an equivalent value new car but they all say they don't do that.

Lots of folks have suggested that I do it anyway and make up some sort of story if something should happen while driving to work. That constitutes insurance fraud and could easily cost my government clearance and job so I am stuck with conventional insurance and won't recover my investment if something was to happen.

If anyone has found a company that will offer an agreed value policy that does not have driving restrictions please let me know.

Thanks!

Hagerty wouldn' give me coverage because i had a speeding ticket years ago:thebirdm::thebirdm:..i have Grundy on my duster agreed $30k coverage unlimited mileage..i just had the windshield replaced,at NO cost to me Grundy paid the bill no problem..in order to have collector car insurance you need a garage..

Nationwide gave me a great deal with no bs. 160 a year for 17500 agreed value.

I have checked with everyone of the classic car insurance companies and none of them will cover your car if it's daily driven (mine is daily driven from April through November). I don't care so much about premiums and would be very willing to pay the same premium as an equivalent value new car but they all say they don't do that.

Lots of folks have suggested that I do it anyway and make up some sort of story if something should happen while driving to work. That constitutes insurance fraud and could easily cost my government clearance and job so I am stuck with conventional insurance and won't recover my investment if something was to happen.

If anyone has found a company that will offer an agreed value policy that does not have driving restrictions please let me know.

Thanks!
I was going to go with Hagerty but I waited to long to get back with them. My car is garage kept and locked but it's a daily driver if I want it to be. I want the freedom to drive where ever when ever I want. They were cheap that's for sure. Doing the estimate on there website I put a value on my car at $12,000 and it was like $266 a year.

I use American Collector's car insurance for my Barracuda. I'll probably use regular insurance for the Duster.

Dangerous to ony insure for 6 months...what about fire or flood or water pipe breaking or vandalism or theft.....etc

You think that trouble takes 6 months off a year?

I have Grundy. I pay about $425 a year for a 60k policy. I have to have a locked garage and am limited to 5k miles a year.

I have American Collectors insurance on my 74 Dart Sport with agreed value of 13,500, with no deductible on comp or collision for about $120 a year, been with them for several years with no complaints

We have our insurance from AAA through our local agent. When I bought the 65 Dart they would only insure for purchase price sight unseen. After I got it street runnable and cleaned up I drove to the agent. Since nobody qualified to appraise is around here anymore they took pics and AAA agreed to my valuation of $8500 with raises in value as the resto progresses. Dart was added to regular multi vehicle policy with same coverage for around $700-$800 a year. Regular plates on the Dart.

One of the best parts of having a duster is that on the registration and the insurance it comes up as a "valient". So, as far as my insurance company is concerned it is a 6-banger grocery-getter and I added it onto my daily-driver policy for an X-tra $150 a year!

-w00t! LY

One of the best parts of having a duster is that on the registration and the insurance it comes up as a "valient". So, as far as my insurance company is concerned it is a 6-banger grocery-getter and I added it onto my daily-driver policy for an X-tra $150 a year!

-w00t! LY
Well incase anything happens,I guess you,ll be getting money for a 6-banger.
I have ins. through Silver Wheels here in Ontario,Canada for $168 a year for my 73 Dart Sport 340 H-code.Appraised value is $18K.I also stated I wanted the A19 policy for full reimbursement.(A little loophole with ins. companies)

-
Back