Does anyone on this forum own an EV. Be honest!

-
Be sure to have them read the fine print

My parents have solar panels on their house (I HATE it, 150 year old farmhouse, brick with red tile roof and those nasty black panels on it)

But, in the summer their meter runs backwards and all the excess power they produce goes back onto the grid

In the winter it runs clockwise again, but not nearly as fast and according to my dad he's been breaking even and has not paid for electricity in years

It would b worth it if it didn't take so long to pay for the system. On average it takes 20 years to break even then ur kids will profit from the solar system after u die. It's very expensive to put in. I live in one of the hottest place there is and it's still not worth it.

It would b worth it if it didn't take so long to pay for the system. On average it takes 20 years to break even then ur kids will profit from the solar system after u die. It's very expensive to put in. I live in one of the hottest place there is and it's still not worth it.
Your probably right, somehow my dad never bothered to tell me about the installation cost

Or who owns the installation

I can tell you I probably spend between 3 and 4 grand a year on electricity so over a 5 year period I would have 15-20k to spend

You'd think that would cover it

Your probably right, somehow my dad never bothered to tell me about the installation cost

Or who owns the installation

I can tell you I probably spend between 3 and 4 grand a year on electricity so over a 5 year period I would have 15-20k to spend

You'd think that would cover it
If u require that much electricity then you'll meet more panels and more batteries so the cost will b higher. It might b worth it in the end if the solar panels last long enough and u never have to buy new batteries.

If u require that much electricity then you'll meet more panels and more batteries so the cost will b higher. It might b worth it in the end if the solar panels last long enough and u never have to buy new batteries.

You lost me there. I've had to replace my batteries for my computer UPS every few years. Granted, it's pretty cool. I can remain on the computer for maybe half an hour when the power is out if I am just on FABO.
I got it back in the early 2000's if I remember right. Two batteries cost about $50 on amazon. Now scale that up for an entire house, not just one computer for half an hour.
iu

You lost me there. I've had to replace my batteries for my computer UPS every few years. Granted, it's pretty cool. I can remain on the computer for maybe half an hour when the power is out if I am just on FABO.
I got it back in the early 2000's if I remember right. Two batteries cost about $50 on amazon. Now scale that up for an entire house, not just one computer for half an hour.
ttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.bhphotovideo.com%2Fimages%2Fimages2000x2000%2FAPC_Back_UPS_RS_1500VA_LCD_509461.jpg
I lost you?? The batteries I'm refering to cost $200 each and there are 10 or 15 of them (maybe more) for a solar panel array depending on energy requirements. The more juice you use in your house or business the more panels and batteries you need. The more panels and the more batteries the more initial cost. My close friend paid 45K for his solar panels and back up system including installation. Even if he paid 2K a year for electricity before the solar system was installed it would still take him over 20 years to recoup his money....and that's if batteries never need replacement (not likely) and if there are no issues with the solar panel (also not likely).

If you find land located far from the grid, it's usually pretty cheap. The cost of connecting the grid may be several times the cost of a complete solar system. It certainly makes sense in that situation. 22 years ago I was commissioned to design a multi-fuel generator that would be the household PRIMARY electricity supply. A developer wanted to put a neighborhood on a plot of land purchased for a song -- way up in the mountains outside Provo, UT. The generators were to run primarily on CNG or LPG, with gasoline as a back-up.

If you find land located far from the grid, it's usually pretty cheap. The cost of connecting the grid may be several times the cost of a complete solar system. It certainly makes sense in that situation. 22 years ago I was commissioned to design a multi-fuel generator that would be the household PRIMARY electricity supply. A developer wanted to put a neighborhood on a plot of land purchased for a song -- way up in the mountains outside Provo, UT. The generators were to run primarily on CNG or LPG, with gasoline as a back-up.
I agree but keep in mind that people who like living out in the middle of nowhere don't nomally depend heavily on fancy computers and AC and stuff like that. For those reasons their initial cost is low (very few solar panels and very few batteries). The cabins are usually small which require much less electricity. The folks I've seen doing that type of living also figure out how to install everything themselves which saves quite a bit.....so yes, for those types it's a great deal!!

Is it non farmable land? Or low yielding ?
No It's being farmed now. It's had field corn grown on it for many years now.
We met with her lawyer and I made a few changes to the contract and we have to see if they'll agree to the changes before she sign's it.
So it'll be a while before it's done.

I've asked several times if people dive Tesla's in Canada.
No answer on any of the boards I frequent but-

I just saw a vid shot in Canada 2 days ago and there was clearly a Tesla driving in the snow.
Toronto is lousy with Teslas. We actually live a 5 minute drive from their distribution center on Lawrence Ave East.

No pure EV but we have a 21 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 4XE, PHEV-Plug in hybrid. Max range in electric only is 25 miles but this allows us to run all our errands or me to drive to work (if I still drove to work) without burning any gas. It has all the capabilities of a regular Wrangler and is a load of fun to drive with combined 375 HP and 470 ft/lbs of torque. 0-60 in 6 seconds. The 25 mile range is competitive with the other PHEVs available many others being far worse. We've had it since last June and love the thing.

Yea.

guy called me about 1 to 1.2 miles off the grid. Surrounded by US national Forest. Would need easement from US and private person that whole distance. Has curvey access road easement now, but would need another specific easement for power.

Would need about 30-50 poles minimum or 1.2 miles of trenching.

I’d imagine the cost would be in multiples of quarter million.

Last edited:
I lost you?? The batteries I'm refering to cost $200 each and there are 10 or 15 of them (maybe more) for a solar panel array depending on energy requirements. The more juice you use in your house or business the more panels and batteries you need. The more panels and the more batteries the more initial cost. My close friend paid 45K for his solar panels and back up system including installation. Even if he paid 2K a year for electricity before the solar system was installed it would still take him over 20 years to recoup his money....and that's if batteries never need replacement (not likely) and if there are no issues with the solar panel (also not likely).

I read your original post as the batteries not needing replacement. I think it's time I make an appointment. I really HATE my glasses.

iu

-
Back