does anyone use 100LL av gas ?

-
Ran it in 2 stroke bikes since the 80's with zero problems, all the dirt bike magazines of the day published stores about how bad it is for your engine with the same list of reasons I'm reading here.....three pages later they had an advertisement for their favourite race gas.
Now I will say that you do have to tune for it, if you run it in cold weather ( think snowmobile ) you will have to jet and time it for AV gas as it does not like to start like pump gas in cold weather.
It's also not a blanket replacement for all race fuel by any means but for some engines it is definitely something that could be used.

unlike your customers I deal with my own tune up issues on my own and that's exactly why I use one good consistent gasoline and a wideband O2 sensor. Probably not a great idea to give away My source for gasoline as it may dry up my own Supply.
I can tell you this for sure...the tune up between AV gas and race fuel is different. I had a customer that would buy AV gas when he could get and and race fuel when he couldn't. Drove me nuts. I told him to **** or get off the pot and pick one.

Where are you getting it? Aurora used to have it, but not sure he is even still alive...can't remember his name...was an MFI guy. Kind of eccentric. Had 2... Or 3 Mig fighter jets and a non English speaking Russian national to work on the.

Damn, I'll have to call some one and get my memory jogged.

That's crazy weird you bring up the dirt bikes because I just bought one for the first time in 22 years. And you know the first thing I did was make a 50-50 batch of non ethanol and Avgas. it's been awhile since I rode a 2 stroke dirt bike and having the front tire come off the ground in every gear is going to take a little getting used to...
Ran it in 2 stroke bikes since the 80's with zero problems, all the dirt bike magazines of the day published stores about how bad it is for your engine with the same list of reasons I'm reading here.....three pages later they had an advertisement for their favourite race gas.
Now I will say that you do have to tune for it, if you run it in cold weather ( think snowmobile ) you will have to jet and time it for AV gas as it does not like to start like pump gas in cold weather.
It's also not a blanket replacement for all race fuel by any means but for some engines it is definitely something that could be used.

Last edited:
I ran avgas in the late 70's through the 80's in a high comp small block. Had 0 problems, In the 90's built a high comp 440 and used avgas in it.Tried some c12 and there was no difference in et, again you have to set your tune for different fuels.

That's crazy weird you bring up the dirt bikes because I just bought one for the first time in 22 years. And you know the first thing I did was make a 50-50 batch of non ethanol and Avgas. it's been awhile since I rode a 2 stroke dirt bike and having the front tire come off the ground in every gear is going to take a little getting used to...

What kind of bike did you get? And don't forget that you are 22 years older....it takes 22 times longer to heal when you fall off.

unlike your customers I deal with my own tune up issues on my own and that's exactly why I use one good consistent gasoline and a wideband O2 sensor. Probably not a great idea to give away My source for gasoline as it may dry up my own Supply.

Don't worry about me knowing your secret spot. I run plain old pump gas. I'm not about to start using AV gas now.

It's nothing special beyond the lead added for higher compression aircraft engines...Lower compression engines can run pump gas for automobiles.....I would certainly run it in my hot rod....

This is why I hate the internet so much or at least trying to really convey yourself. if you would like to know that's no problem l'll pm or something. I just don't want to put out on a public forum where I get my gas so I don't get the people I get it from in trouble.
Don't worry about me knowing your secret spot. I run plain old pump gas. I'm not about to start using AV gas now.

I have run AV gas before years ago and had to run race gas. My motor I run now is a pump gas motor and I would not have another that will not run on pump gas.

Last edited:
Back in the old days, we used to put moth balls in the tank. Why? Hell I don't know, the other guy did it, so it must work.
What he said!
I heard the stories, was supposed to work.......never hand anything, back in the day, too caused me to try it.

^^^ yes you saved my life! I was thinking of throwing mothballs in my gas tank to make my car go faster:realcrazy:

This is why I hate the internet so much or at least trying to really convey yourself. if you would like to know that's no problem l'll pm or something. I just don't want to put out on a public forum where I get my gas so I don't get the people I get it from in trouble.

It all good. I knew what you meant. I have used it before and the guy who sold it to me did it on the down low.

Back when I was doing it, it was a no no for the air ports to sell it to the public.

I am a skosh older than you.
And way better looking!

If I smoked weed I'd ask you who your supplier is ! From what you just said, all I can figure is you must be high on good stuff? it's quite obviously I'm better-looking!
Edit: oh yeah and my car is faster than your slow junk! LOL
It all good. I knew what you meant. I have used it before and the guy who sold it to me did it on the down low.

Back when I was doing it, it was a no no for the air ports to sell it to the public.

I am a skosh older than you.
And way better looking!

If I smoked weed I'd ask you who your supplier is ! From what you just said, all I can figure is you must be high on good stuff? it's quite obviously I'm better-looking!
Edit: oh yeah and my car is faster than your slow junk! LOL

You are on a roll now. Sounds like you need to put the crack pipe down,, lol

Ah, the good old days.....lol
AGREE, Fun times, until you ran YR off. I'm a little disappointed, I thought his skin was thicker " like a cat fish "
but I guess it's more like a snake " comes off in layers " lol

AGREE, Fun times, until you ran YR off. I'm a little disappointed, I thought his skin was thicker " like a cat fish "
but I guess it's more like a snake " comes off in layers " lol
I didn't run him off! He drownded in his own pool of poop!

It would seem after six or seven years on the Forum you would have the ability to post a picture of your Yellow Cab?
no worries ! and it ain't no Yellow cab. It's a 67 Fastback with a B wedge and cnc ported aluminum heads.
photos Will be posted this spring, courtesy of my wife. she is also going to post a picture of the 63 fury with 6 pack RB.
The wife really wants me to go over and smoke your ***. just maybe you can beat the truck, maybe if it's detuned, but I doubt it.
PS I'm not no Yellow Rose or Yellow Cab. just maybe you can get together with your buddy YR and skrews and formulate your exit strategy.

no worries ! and it ain't no Yellow cab. It's a 67 Fastback with a B wedge and cnc ported aluminum heads.
photos Will be posted this spring, courtesy of my wife. she is also going to post a picture of the 63 fury with 6 pack RB.
The wife really wants me to go over and smoke your ***. just maybe you can beat the truck, maybe if it's detuned, but I doubt it.
PS I'm not no Yellow Rose or Yellow Cab. just maybe you can get together with your buddy YR and skrews and formulate your exit strategy.
if you're looking for a challenge out of me you'd better hurry! I've already taken the big cam out, the roll bar out, and added lots of interior. my next step of putting 3:55 gears and to replace my 4:10's and some quiet or Mufflers are going to make me even less challenging....

no challenge. and we will probably never be on the same road at the same time. to bad it would be fun.
Cope is the one having fun in S Tahoe. He built a real fine street bruiser.

-
Back