does anyone use 100LL av gas ?

-
With that compression ratio and cranking cylinder pressure I'm sure I don't need it or anything like that. But I like to use it again it's clean it's stable and it doesn't stink to high heaven when I started in the garage like I did a half hour ago...

I was wondering if anybody uses 100LL av gas and what there experiences were/are ?
I ran it straight a long time ago. Bout 1980. No problems. Think I paid about $12.00 for 5 gallons and the pumps were open 24/7. El Monte airport.

I use to run it in my big block 67 GTX in the early 90's with 12/1 comp. and had no problems. It was around $2.00 a gal. I think.

I Use a white semi clear 6 gallon gas can for the Avgas and one time I used it to go down and get some clear non-ethanol gas and that clear non-ethanol gas stained that can. it took about 5 cans of the blue avgas to get it cleaned back out and not have a stain in it.

AV gas has additives in it that can be bad for your car. There are stabilizers and such in it that allows it to perform at altitude. Read up on it. We've argued this point before and I was totally lambasted, but it's true. You don't need to run AV gas in your car.
Exactly what additives...How is it bad...??

Exactly what additives...How is it bad...??

I am not a chemist so I don't know the names of the chemicals. Post 18 touches on some of what I was talking about. I am not getting into another discussion/argument like last time. I just threw it out there. It's not the same as automotive fuel. You can find any details you want online and make your own informed decision.

In 1975 I was partnered in a drag car that had 13:1 comp.
We put some 130 octane avgas in the car, really perked it up.
There was a small airport on the way to the track, we'd just back up to the fence and they'd fill er up, no problem. In the fall that year the guy at the airport said that there would be no more 130 avgas in the near future, only 100LL, he was right.

How is it for starting in sub zero?
Do the additives raise vapor pressure?
Modern auto gas presumes fuel injection, and with a carb, I have to pump a few shots and wait 30 seconds for the gas to vaporize when it's sub zero.
Anyone else run into low vapor pressure problems on the very coldest winter nights with a carbuereted eng and modern pump gas? It didn't usta be like this.

It's not a "problem" , it's just damned annoying.

ive worked around 100ll for years, it is a safe clean fuel, a piston engine aircraft hardest job is accelerating from dead stop down a runway to take off, so it is not a high altitude only fuel, aircraft can richen or lean for the conditions with exh.temp gauge. sure it has lead thats what increases octane and it good for the valve seats. some aircraft are certified to use 87 octane auto gas and or 100ll so it can be mixed, aircraft dont always fly so yes stabilizers are added, ive used it in 340s , 12.5 comp 440s and use it to cruise around in my 16.1 572 but not drive it hard or race it with that much compression, the 130ll i wish it was still around.

My buddy works at the airport here. Has 1000L totes full of avgas that they can't legally sell to airplanes because it was pulled to test (they have to do a bunch of hydrometer tests and such to make sure its proper stuff, a plane coming down cause of the wrong gas is kinda a big thing). But they can't do anything with it so they store it. He's been giving it to a guy across the street who runs this 12:1 454 big block pro street looking crazy truck thats pretty neat. He was running race gas before. Gunna try the avgas.

I've thought about running it myself. Drop a 6-71 on the 340 and run avgas and see what happens. It would be cool. Plus free gas.

But there are some differences. First of all, the avgas octane rating is different from pump gas. Pump gas is the ron/mon number combined. Where as avgas is just the mon number (I think). So its not quite the same. Online everyone says the lead will kill your engine. In real life anyone I know who has run avgas has never noticed a thing. Anyone with a built engine is running hardened valves anyways. So no need to worry there. And if you're making enough heat and pressure. You'll burn all that lead. So basically, don't run it in some low power dealio. Make sure the engine will actually need the gas. There's other additives and such that are different. But I highly doubt it's anything that would kill an engine. Lots of guys run it in circle track as a alternative fuel. Same with street/strip.

Like anything. Just gotta take care of your engine. Listen to it. And make sure it runs good.

Back in the old days, we used to put moth balls in the tank. Why? Hell I don't know, the other guy did it, so it must work.

The point I was trying to make is, there is a lot of monkey see, monkey do, without knowing why. I don't know enough about fuel chemistry to know if it is OK or not. I do know there is more to gasoline then the lead, and the octane rating. A couple of things that come to mind is the Reid vapor pressure rating , and the temp of vaporation. If you go to some of the race fuel sites, you can see the number of points of comparison of the different fuels.

The point I was trying to make is, there is a lot of monkey see, monkey do, without knowing why. I don't know enough about fuel chemistry to know if it is OK or not. I do know there is more to gasoline then the lead, and the octane rating. A couple of things that come to mind is the Reid vapor pressure rating , and the temp of vaporation. If you go to some of the race fuel sites, you can see the number of points of comparison of the different fuels.

I call that the old red hot pipe up the *** theory.

If a guy goes out and goes REAL fast and WINS a race with a red hot pipe up his ***, you can bet that by the next race, you will see a dozen or so more guys with a red hot pipe up their ***.

It's my play on monkey see, monkey do.

I like mine better.

ever start and watch an engine idle after fueling with 100ll that has had some pump gas in it ? once the avgas gets into the system an engine will just suddenly smooth out.

Most people complain about the new gas. 100LL is the same OLD gas it has always been, no change, no reformulation. worked great in the old day's in the old motors. will work great in the old motors today. The testing and quality control it has to go through for use in AIRCRAFT engines, old and new, is way better than what you buy at the pump. No alcohol, cheap additives ect.

I was wondering if anybody uses 100LL av gas and what there experiences were/are ?
And here is my original Point again that wasn't any point at all it was just asking if anybody has used it and what their experiences were not opinions on whether I should or shouldn't use it. Or if I was seeing somebody else use it and wanted to use it to. I've used it in my brand new motor from original break in to the last time I took it to the track. I took the heads off this last winter and seen nowhere or anything bad that I could see it all. I was wondering what other people's experiences were with the gas if they were saying or adverse. As far as monkey see monkey do I don't really know of many others that run with it I know I have a friend that used to mix it 50/50 and has now went 100% av gas. Again I like the cleanliness the consistency and so forth. And one more time also I don't believe my motor is so badass that it needs it I just like it.

Last edited:
I was wondering if anybody uses 100LL av gas and what there experiences ?

Last edited:
Hoops double posted maybe I'll start a new thread called what is your Jack Wheel opinion on 100ll fuel?? LOL

I can tell you this for sure...the tune up between AV gas and race fuel is different. I had a customer that would buy AV gas when he could get and and race fuel when he couldn't. Drove me nuts. I told him to **** or get off the pot and pick one.

Where are you getting it? Aurora used to have it, but not sure he is even still alive...can't remember his name...was an MFI guy. Kind of eccentric. Had 2... Or 3 Mig fighter jets and a non English speaking Russian national to work on the.

Damn, I'll have to call some one and get my memory jogged.

-
Back