Does this look familiar LMAO?

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
Now that "we" have the moredoor junked and the Scamp stored offsite for awhile, "whut's left" is the "White Whale II" AKA parts truck. This is identical to "White Whale I" and I bought it for parts.

I wanted the rear axle because it's limited slip, MAYBE put it under the White Whale I. BUT I did not want to turn the thing into a "non roller" so I can move it around, when, WHAM the other night in bed it dawned on me I have some mobile home axles!!!! So I'll just scab one of those under the rear and I can still move it.

Plan is to

Drop the fuel tank, which I siphoned today

get the cab ready to pull

get the bed ready to pull

remove the rear axle and replace with mobile home "device."

Pull transmission and rear end, the harness, and maybe some of the A/C interior stuff.

THEN haul the "what's left" up to the estate property and let it repose up there for awhile, LOL

So here we sit with the thing on the hoist, the "transmission jack" ready to go, and the erstwhile mobile home axles

Attachments

• IMG_0188.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 450
  • IMG_0189.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 426
hope you have the "donut" wheels and 14.5 tires that fit. Around here you cant get anymore, they have been outlawed.

hope you have the "donut" wheels and 14.5 tires that fit. Around here you cant get anymore, they have been outlawed.

I've lost track. I have several of these axles and a whole stack of tires/ wheels I got really cheap. The tires aren't much good.

So the mobile home axle is now under the Dog!!!

Drive axle out:

IMG_0191cs_zps6mhbaurh.jpg

Getting axle in place, thank the lord for straps

IMG_0199cs_zpsdcys3lwd.jpg

Clamping up to weld. I simply clamped one axle half forward of the center bolt on one side, the other axle rear of the center bolt on the other. Overlapped the axle halves clamped them up and tacked them together

IMG_0204cs_zps2jk19ybd.jpg

IMG_0209cs_zpsyzmzbvvh.jpg

Doesn't have to go very far, very fast, or very straight, all it has to do is roll "a few feet"

IMG_0210cs_zpsrwcgdznk.jpg

Oh boy.
You have too much frickin time on your hands my friend. :D

Actually I dont, lol. I'm trying to get this thing to the point where I can "leave" it until I need something, or sell something off it, and spend minimal time "re-dealing" with it. I wanted that axle, and did NOT want the truck sitting on the ground.

Also did not want to tear the axle apart.....at least not yet

Actually I dont, lol. I'm trying to get this thing to the point where I can "leave" it until I need something, or sell something off it, and spend minimal time "re-dealing" with it. I wanted that axle, and did NOT want the truck sitting on the ground.

Also did not want to tear the axle apart.....at least not yet

In that case I guess it falls in the "Ya gotta do what ya gotta do category instead of too much time on your hands.

Guess getting a piece of pipe that would fit into the axles was out of the question. That way you would not have to depend on those surface welds to take the strain.

Jus sayin,

Del, what have you got for a welder?

Where the hell did this sudden burst of energy come from,Del? You're kicking ***,nowadays...

Del, what have you got for a welder?

Which one, I have three?

I have a little old Linc 120V MIG, and a 240V Linc 180 MIG.

And, I have a GIGANTIC stick / tig Linc I bought thinking I was gonna learn to tig.

Where the hell did this sudden burst of energy come from,Del? You're kicking ***,nowadays...

There is no doubt I go "up and down" in some sort of energy. Winter is a bad time for me, my joint pain gets worse, and of course bad weather keeps me in a lot more.

Frankly, I allowed myself to get overwhelmed. I need to shed some of this so I can get to work on the Dart finally. I hope to be rid of this whale into next week sometime.

My Hudson car trailer has 14.5 tires on it. You can buy good 10 ply trailer tires in that size. $98 a piece last year.

And I replied "Cocaine?"

I guess someone thought it should be deleted. Something we all know isn't true, but was funny.

So are we being censored now or what? Who was the wise *** deleting stuff?

Just got "in" Got the transmission out and on the ground. Anyone know how one of these acts if the main computer control is unconnected? I'm not sure it was seated in the connector. This trans has yellow paint on it indicating it was from a junk yard

When I herded it home the day I bought it, it had reverse and "high gear only." I don't remember whether it went in/ out of OD or not

Once again, the homebrew transmission jack came through in flying colors

IMG_0212cs_zpsjafmlkbz.jpg

Got it down, wheeled it out on the tracks, and hooked it up to the rear of the pu with tie down straps, and pulled the jack out

IMG_0213cs_zps3b4k8tyw.jpg

And then just let the hoist down until on the ground

IMG_0214cs_zpsooqa45hg.jpg

Tomorrow, I tackle the engine!!

And you go off,and buy another engine,lmao.....

That may have been "the straw." Just finishin' breakfast at 9AM, I'm "late" today, but hey, I'm gettin old. Today's goal is to get the engine out. Maybe not. I intend to pull a lot of "underneath" cab and bed bolts and hardware loose, and maybe some wiring harness. So I can get it out later if I want.

I noticed the rad support "top" crossbar unbolts!!! out of these, which should make getting the engine out easier. I don't plan to pull the hood.

Well just came in for lunch and Gunsmoke. I don't have a lot to "show" for the morning but I DID get a lot done..........

Removed all but 4 bolts in the bed, and left them loose, and loosened the cab bolts

Pulled out the entire rear body harness and the tail lamp assemblies, and got all the "underneath" engine stuff loosened and removed.

IMG_0216cs_zpspflltzuc.jpg

IMG_0217cs_zpswrhn4t2l.jpg

Seller had told me this was hit by deer twice? THREE? This is the third radiator and it's brand new

IMG_0218cs_zpsrkio5tm0.jpg

So I'm well underway getting the engine ready to come out. I just might have this out today YET!!

IMG_0220cs_zpsaiwwb19l.jpg

About 4:15 just got in and the engine is ON THE GROUND

IMG_0221cs_zpsek4m6o5f.jpg

IMG_0227cs_zpsbh3ijeof.jpg

Tomorrow's plan.....pull the seat so I can get under the dash, and then decide if I'm gonna pull some of the A/C stuff / etc out of the dash. Another couple of days, and it's off to the property to "languish" LOL

JUST got in, and I'm "real worn out". Pulled the seat, mostly for access, pulled the dash apart, and stripped out the brake booster, the heating / AC box, controls in dash, and wiring harness.

Next couple of days, it'll be on the trailer

Dash apart, heater / AC box dropped down

IMG_0230cs_zpsf726ebxu.jpg

Brake booster out

IMG_0232cs_zpsgadmh0kd.jpg

I'll finish stripping the harness tomorrow

IMG_0237cs_zpsh8hoya1v.jpg

"All together" to steer on the trailer

IMG_0235cs_zpsqmtvze9g.jpg

-
Back