Does trans fluid wear out

-
Dude, drop the pan. If there's anyyhing larger than metallic like dust in the fluid or on the magnet if there is one and the fluid isn't bright red, it's probably on the way out.

p1698 is a communication problem with the PCM. More information would be helpful as what engine it has, what trans it has, 1500,2500,3500?

2002 quad cab 1500 with a 4.7 ,auto 3 speed with o/d believe its the a500. I googled the code and it said tcm to pcm problem with the bus.Check engine light came on with that code.After it cycled a few times after cooling and driving a 100 miles or so the check engine light went out.Possibly related is the oil pressure gauge jumps to the middle of the gauge when you start the motor but never moves up or down with rpm changes. The temp gauge never goes to hot even though my radiator started leaking and i caught it low on water and know it was hot.Never had a warning from the gauge . Not positive but seems there operation is snafu. The only modification ever done is a k&n air filter and a remote start and door locks control.I have owned the truck since new.Wife and daughter always drove it till last month so it has been babied.

2002 quad cab 1500 with a 4.7 ,auto 3 speed with o/d believe its the a500. I googled the code and it said tcm to pcm problem with the bus.Check engine light came on with that code.After it cycled a few times after cooling and driving a 100 miles or so the check engine light went out.Possibly related is the oil pressure gauge jumps to the middle of the gauge when you start the motor but never moves up or down with rpm changes. The temp gauge never goes to hot even though my radiator started leaking and i caught it low on water and know it was hot.Never had a warning from the gauge . Not positive but seems there operation is snafu. The only modification ever done is a k&n air filter and a remote start and door locks control.I have owned the truck since new.Wife and daughter always drove it till last month so it has been babied.

Just curious when you did the remote start. A buddy of mine had remote start installed in his truck and it created all kinds of problems, including shifting issues. Not saying that's it but you never know.

Remotes been on it 10 years but not saying the gauges have worked right. But they appeared to work right.

Next time I will, I am new to this, and since no one else was posting at that time, I thought it would be a good time to gain some valuable knowledge. Sorry if you were offended, I thought this was an open forum, I did not know that you owned your own thread... my bad........ I guess that used to be your cup holder..............:eek:ops:

Not trying to start trouble, I ride too, and I thought that would be a funny come back!:happy1
23 Year Mopar fiend....With a Biker Attitude!

PS
My Antique XLCR kicks Big Twins squarely in the nuts (at least in the 1/4 )
I hope you have a good sense of Humor!!!!!!!

Next time I will, I am new to this, and since no one else was posting at that time, I thought it would be a good time to gain some valuable knowledge. Sorry if you were offended, I thought this was an open forum, I did not know that you owned your own thread... my bad........ I guess that used to be your cup holder..............:eek:ops:

thank you. I have a slammed 73 ironhead myself.

Correction I believe the trans is a 45rfe . I,m leaning toward an electrical glitch. Today it seemed to slip but felt like it was in second taking off twice and when I pulled over and shut the truck off and restarted it the problem disappeared a while.Twice today it downshifted hard as i was slowing down around 5 mph. It felt like someone bumped me from behind. Talked to a local small shop trans tech and he said hehad a truck that started doing this and he sold it.lol

That code is most likely a PCM. Also there are two filters in that trans. The spin on one has caused delayed engagement problems in the past. I would service the trans and replace that spin on filter with a Mopar part. They have been revised. I wouldn't trust the aftermarket filters.

To answer the question of does fluid lose its viscosity. As soon as any fluid is in any vehicle it starts breaking down. The only time it is 100 % is when it is installed. It's all down hill from there. Now can this cause your problem ?? Maybe. There are also numerous other things that can be causing your symptoms. A trans fush ( and make sure they are using a quality flush product that actually suspends the partiiculates and flushes them. Not something that just loosens the junk up) I recommend a Valvoline flush treatment and new filters. If done properly you wont have any problems, but dont hold me to that. We do proper flushes on lots of high mileage transmissions and have not had any problems with the proper equipment and fluids. (knock on wood). Electrically it can be the PCM (powertrain control module) or the TCM (trans control module) or sensors as well. Lots to look at and diag. The worse being the trans is just tired out. Prob didnt answer any thing for ya, but maybe something will ding.
Good luck

-RPM

Update.. Trans started a downshift slam every once in a while while cruising in o/d. Also A slow take off now and then and a bump on the downshift at 5 mph when coming to a stop. Someone mentioned limp mode being 3rd gear, and with the tcm to pcm problem I started reading.Led me to believe the pcm lost info or got wrong info when when I left it running and it got warm. Disconnected the hot cable and grounded it to the negative post, Lost the code and check engine light. Drove it and it hammered a few times the first day ,then once the second day and the last few days it has been fine.I drive 100 miles or better every day.I think the tcm or pcm relearned what was causing limp mode and fixed itself. Could this happen. I know dealers reflash them when they rebuild or replace them. Could I really be this lucky? Is it even possible?

Is it possible yes, probable maybe. Usually unplugging/disconnecting the battery will erase the codes.

a dealer can relearn the trans, but if there was a symptom that caused the concern it will come back. just fyi.

-RPM

-
Back