Does your X-pipe exhaust drone loudly?

-

cudaspaz

Reaction score
Mine sure as hell does.

I have it dumped before the rear axles and I'm running thrush non turbo's which are flowmaster 40- knock offs.

I'm wondering if it's the X-pipe that keeps giving me the drone and weird exhaust pulses or the turn downs amplifying it all or a combination of all the above.

I like the sound under load but idling at red lights rattles my teeth and is annoying.

I am almost ready to spring for a new system from the header collectors back to the bumper, any suggestions?

I guess I could take it to the bumper first and see if that helps.

My friend has a 74 duster with a 360 headers. i honestly dont know what crossover pipe it has. but anyway he had 3 inch pipe to 2 thrush welded mufflers with turn downs at the axle. The car droned like all hell. He got some tailpipes and now its lots better. The only complaint he had is he cant set off car alarms now.

its two things. i think the most of it is the dumps in front of the rear. probably sound a lot better with tail pipes. the other is your choice of mufflers. flowmasters drone like mad. i imagine a flowmaster knock off would too.

i used to have flowmaster 40s dumped at the rear and had a loud drone

I have a magnaflow x-pipe system (exits at rear) on my fish and no drone...

I may change muffs, need some options.

I don't mind quiet ones but still like to hear the car cut some licks.

chambered muffler = drone, abodyjoe, didnt you have those mufflers on your dart before? you can get some drone with strait thru mufflers, its all kind of hit or miss definitely the turn downs and probably the mufflers. i really doubt its your X pipe. i had some flow tech terminators on a mustang they had 3" tubes so i cut the cones off of them and built a 3" system for my dart. they had a decent sound to them when they were on my mustang no drone, not annoying. on the dart i did an X pipe and dumped it at the rear. it was awful. my dad used to roll up napkins ans stick them in his ears to go for a ride with me. i built the car in my brothers garage, he gave me a curfew to run it his nieghbors were complaining. it set off alarms like no tomorrow. i built tailpipes and it was like driving a different car but instead of droning all the time it had droned at cruise rpm. it sucked. i chopped it up and built a 2 1/2" system with a set of ultra flows and an x pipe much better, but im now wondering what was i thinking and why did i go 2 1/2". are you running a fuel cell? do you have the spare tire well in place? i would get a set of the dynomax round race mufflers and run them under the trunk floor as a resonator. im not really into all the noise. a little is cool, but id almost rather have none. i rememebr when you posted a video of the cuda, i told you i thought chambered mufflers sound great, on other peoples cars. wont ever go on mine again.

My Demon did it and I wanted to scream sometimes.......finally fabricated some "shorty" glasspacks as a resonator on each side, welded on some chrome tips, and VOILA' ! BEAUTIFUL rich sound without the annoyance or broken windows..........much better inside the cabin too.

107_0742.jpg

107_0745.jpg

It's the muffler that drones and the dumps slaming the sound on the floor bouncing back up that amp it up. The X pipe is a good helper in scavenging. It shouldn't be hurtful to the ears.

Run tail pipes, direct the sound away. I have turn downs at the bumper and it did make a difference even at the rear of the car. The sound isn't bouncing of the houses, just going down.

That's good advice, but remember that an A-Body tip points straight out......not down.

His car is far from stock and who cares...LOL What ever works or tickles your fancy is what gets done. ;)

No tail pipes = drone. Pretty much regardless of muffler style/type/size/brand.

My Fairlane has no tailpipes, nor does it have crossover, and it drones like mad...

Yeah I guess...........I couldn't afford the correct tips so I modified some round slanted chromies........looked pretty good.

We do what we can. Looking good is a plus. I just capped my Magnum's tail pipes with some Headman... or was it Hooker...hummmm

Chrome turndown tips @ 2-1/2. They directed the sound downwards a tad and made a difference. It was an odd result I didn't expect. When it's like that under the car, it can be tuff.

-
Back