Dogs

-

Steve welder

Reaction score
Ive never owned a dog expect once decades ago and only for a short time
Now my kids all have dogs.
I went for a couple of days to help my son who brought a second house in the mountains, he has two larger dogs, not huge but big enough.
One is Shepard mix and the other is mostly Lab, about the size of a medium lab
The Shepard is the dog my wife loves, affectionate, gentle but he can be protective
The Lab Mix is very docile and easy going
Yesterday I put the Lab outside on a gated patio deck, I had him tied as he'd give the chance jump off the deck....All of a sudden I heard a commotion with my two grandsons aged 10 and 11 yelling.....A neighbour has a large Lab, very friendly who wandered over onto the deck to say hello. Our Lab was skittish but wasnt aggressive, just nervous im guessing.
When my wife opened the door to see what the yelling was about, the Shep went by her in a flash and went after this Lab with a vengeance. Hair was standing up and he was was attacking this other dog. He is not a aggressive dog as far as I know but maybe he felt threatened and was protecting the boys......He had a leash on and my wife grabbed it trying to pull him off, I was able to chase the other neighbours lab away. Nobody got bite thank God and the neighbour ran over and appogised
My son and daughter in law weren't home, so this was really my first experience
The Lab mix my son has is a very good animal as is the Shepard mix but the Shepard mix as good as he is and does warm up to strangers is the one who is protective of the family
Hope you all have a great forth of July

Unfortunate engagement. Introducing a new dog needs to be done on neutral ground. The breeds acted in accordance with what I would expect, Lab was OK with it... the shepherd established who's place it was.

Glad nobody was scuffed up

Had large breed dogs all my life, they all have different personalities and traits, mine are all very well socialized with other dogs, but I still don't allow anyone to bring a strange dog into my yard for the first meeting. Best if done on neutral ground, and with the person who is the master or leader, that way the dogs are less likely to be protective of those they feel are their charges. I see nothing wrong with the Shepherd's actions, he was protecting his home and his people from an unknown and unwelcome intruder.
That said, I really happy to know that there were no injuries to the people or the animals, probably due in part to the quick reaction of the op.

I've had Doberman's, Rotts and Pitbulls.
The most loyal and protective is Dolly, our 24lb toy Aussie.
I have to say she is the smartest and best listener of all the dogs I've ever owned.
Got her at 8 weeks and she never **** or pissed in the house. lol

-
Back