Dogzilla Sprayed by Skunk Last Night

-

ramcharger

Dismember
Reaction score
Yep, She stinks. Not as bad as I would've thought though. It's not eye-watering or anything but definitely disagreeable. Imagine sitting next to a burning tire.

How long is this going to last? :clock:

AWHILE !!
This will help. Give the dog a bath in tomatoe juice if you can stand doing it. That will take care of the problem.

LOL.. my dog got sprayed two years ago in the morning. My wife woke me up, I walked in the hallway and almost barfed. It was so bad, that the boys at work tried to hide me in the back, and my wife got sent home...

House stunk for a week, and the poor dog stunk for months everytime he got wet.

Grant

I must've got lucky. She smells even less after a trip to the parts store and no she did not go with, lol. Either it was a "long shot" or small skunk, lol!

She must not have gotten a full shot if she's no worse than that. Good thing too cause that stuff can be nasty and linger a LLLOOONNNGGG time.

I've also heard the bath in tomato juice helps. I think it's the acid in the tomatoe juice neutralizes the skunk odor.

When Fargo and I had our tomato shower together, if it helped, it sure didn't seem so. I mixed half a mickey per can, and even though I could barely stand, he still stunk!

She must not have gotten a full shot if she's no worse than that. Good thing too cause that stuff can be nasty and linger a LLLOOONNNGGG time.

I've also heard the bath in tomato juice helps. I think it's the acid in the tomatoe juice neutralizes the skunk odor.

Yeah it's fading real fast, thank goodness. I heard the tomato juice thing too from years ago, but giving this dog a bath is a ***** (pardon the pun, lol). Good thing she typically doesn't smell at all and she even has great breath, believe it or not. Only time she has the dog smell at all is when she gets wet, like any dog. Turbo on the other hand has breath that could knock over a hobo.

When Fargo and I had our tomato shower together, if it helped, it sure didn't seem so. I mixed half a mickey per can, and even though I could barely stand, he still stunk!

Maxi came running in the garage last night rolling on the floor and pawing her nose. She's a pretty quick girl though and must've just got a bit on her head like Fishy said. Good thing too, lol! Sorry to hear of you and Fargo and your wife too. That must've truly been a drag. :)

My Husky got a full dose about 10 years ago. I threw him off the bridge into the small river 3 times before he wouldn't come back to me. Then I bathed him in 12 48oz cans of tomato juice. That didn't work either. There is a product called "Skunk OFF", you can get it at pet stores or pharmacy's. IT WORKS!!!! putit on him by hand and the stink was gone. For the next month, whenever he got wet, he would have a musty smell to him, but that was better than skunk. We ended up having to throw out the carpet and lots of cloths though.

Jack

Ginger (our Border Collie) let curiousity get the better of her about three months ago. 90 days and about 15 baths later, the smell has finally subsided.

Personally, I'd rather shoot the fkn skunk. This is the perfect time of year. No one will know the difference between the .22 and all the firecrackers going off. Even though she's pretty much fine now (I smell worse after after doing a differential fluid change lol!), I do not want to go through what you all have gone through.

When we lived in Luzerne, MI, in the woods, my Dad had this thing about chipmunks going under the house so he set a trap by the woodpile. It was a fairly good sized trap too...much too big for a chipmunk. He put peanut butter in the center as bait. This was a week before school started back up, hot during the days nice and cool at night so all of the windows were open. We woke up as soon as the stench hit...A skunk was caught by the neck, aimed directly at the house, about 9-10 ft away from the windows. We smelled like skunk for weeks, despite tomato juice baths.

I spent lots of time in Springstead, WI. when I was younger. Skunks, bears, porcupines, racoons, etc. I've seen a buttload of skunks, but always kept my distance from the dangerous end, lol! I had nine brothers and sisters, so we never had any pets. Got my first dog at 18 when I had a steady job and pad so this is a first skunk/dog problem at 42 years old.

I guess they have thier place in the scheme of things (grub eatin' mo fo's, lol!). There used to be a fox that lived near by, and I imagine that the skunk would stay his distance if he was around, but he split after I brought Maxi home. This is what I get for intruding on nature I suppose.

Plus, I'm the only nitwit without illegal fireworks this year so Mr. Skunk probably figured this was a safe haven.

Dammit man! This dog just won't stop stinking. At first I thought it was gone, but it's got worse. Seems like this crap is time released. Off to the pet store for some "Skunk-Off" or something like it.

Skunk-in-Grass.jpg

Man ramcharger! you can't catch a brake.:banghead:
The tomato bath is the way to go if you let your dog stay wet with just tomato juice for ate least 1 hour.:-s
mother nature take good care of her for leggier's . Its the oil in there own hair and skin that holds that bad sent.
Don't let her dry, This is allot of work, and can be almost impossible to do
to some dogs.:bounce: Wish you the best bud,,
Wow !! A family of 9. never knew.:happy10:

Man ramcharger! you can't catch a brake.:banghead:
The tomato bath is the way to go if you let your dog stay wet with just tomato juice for ate least 1 hour.:-s
mother nature take good care of her for leggier's . Its the oil in there own hair and skin that holds that bad sent.
Don't let her dry, This is allot of work, and can be almost impossible to do
to some dogs.:bounce: Wish you the best bud,,
Wow !! A family of 9. never knew.:happy10:

I'm being tested Mike. Something's trying to throw me off into the deep end but I won't let go, lol! I'm just way too fkn stubborn. Better things are on their way for me once I get past this hump of crap. :-D

Yeah, I'm the last of ten but lost one of my brothers to motorcycle accident when I was 12 so that leaves nine left. I saved my lawn cutting dough to buy a little dirt bike when I 13. My mom about ****, but my dad understood. I got the bike.

Keeping this dog wet for an hour with tomato juice will be impossible. I'll let everyone know if what I get works. :)

Joe go to petsmart or other pet store and get some natures miracle, soak the dog and let it dry then shampoo, it neutralizes the odor, my dog got sprayed and the smell was gone that night.
Bruce

I had a dog named Maxi, a samoyd with all the long white hair, she got hit by a skunk and had to spend the night outside, pissed a few neighbors off cause she barked all night, but oh well. tomato juice doesn't work as far as I could tell...like Jack said, Skunk Off, my sons cat got hit last week and he used it the next day and it worked great. He said she even smelled good after that.

Joe go to petsmart or other pet store and get some natures miracle, soak the dog and let it dry then shampoo, it neutralizes the odor, my dog got sprayed and the smell was gone that night.
Bruce

Thanks Speedy,

Skunk off wasn't availible locally so I got the Natures Miracle stuff. Her coat is real thick but short so it still hasn't dried yet. She stunk twice as bad after a good soaking (better than half a 32 .oz bottle) but the smell seems to be receeding as she dries. It was almost a 100 F here today and I think that contributed to the brutal time release effect. :) I'll update you tomorrow.

I had a dog named Maxi, a samoyd with all the long white hair, .
Cool! :)

she got hit by a skunk.
Not cool. :angry7:

pissed a few neighbors off cause she barked all night, but oh well. tomato juice doesn't work as far as I could tell...like Jack said, Skunk Off, my sons cat got hit last week and he used it the next day and it worked great. He said she even smelled good after that.
If this doesn't work, I'll order it online. Thanks much for the advice!

Personally, I'd rather shoot the fkn skunk. This is the perfect time of year. No one will know the difference between the .22 and all the firecrackers going off. Even though she's pretty much fine now (I smell worse after after doing a differential fluid change lol!), I do not want to go through what you all have gone through.

A boy I knew back in our teenage years was a "great outdoorsman". He came home one night and there was a skunk in his backyard so he grabbed this .22 and shot. Well, it wasn't a clean kill and the back of the skunk was pointed to at an open basement window. No, his father didn't kill him, but close. I don't think I would shoot the skunk. Just let it pass by.

Also be careful as a skunk can also be a carrier of rabies. I know someone who was sprayed by a rabid skunk and had to take the rabies treatment. He was told that the spray could carry the virus. Rabies is an issue in NC.

LOL.. we also tried the Skunk Off, but only after a coule of weeks.. it seemed to help when dry, but wet dog/skunk is something you just get used to for a while :)

Grant

A boy I knew back in our teenage years was a "great outdoorsman". He came home one night and there was a skunk in his backyard so he grabbed this .22 and shot. Well, it wasn't a clean kill and the back of the skunk was pointed to at an open basement window. No, his father didn't kill him, but close. I don't think I would shoot the skunk. Just let it pass by.

Also be careful as a skunk can also be a carrier of rabies. I know someone who was sprayed by a rabid skunk and had to take the rabies treatment. He was told that the spray could carry the virus. Rabies is an issue in NC.
Good info and a great reminder of the rabies threat.

LOL.. we also tried the Skunk Off, but only after a coule of weeks.. it seemed to help when dry, but wet dog/skunk is something you just get used to for a while :)

Grant

I'm getting the feeling that this is going to suck for a long time, lol!

Her body doesn't seem to stink so much now but her head does. I was careful to try not to get any of this stuff in/around her eyes, nose, mouth etc. I'll soak her again tonight and get her head with a toothbrush and let her dry, then shampoo her dumb *** tomorrow. Hopefully it'll take care of the majority of the odor.

I just have to say ramcharger!! If a dog douse get sprayed I am glad you was the one to take good care of them.

Not that I want you to go though this , But the dog has someone to help them though it.

I hope the smell is gone by the time you read my post.

Joe, you have to really soak every inch that you think she was sprayed on, it takes a while to do but is worth the time, I used a full bottle on my Dobie. He is short hair so it was easier. I feel for ya I had to spend the night with mine indoors because if you put him out he will bark at everything that moves all night.
Bruce

My Uncle got sprayed directly in the face when he was a kid. Climbing a small cliff, ran into the skunk in pocket in the dirt with nowhere to go (for the skunk, or my Uncle!) To this day he cannot smell skunk ! I remember riding down the road with him on more than one occasion and us kids asking him to roll up the window - he couldn't smell a thing - skunk proof !

I just have to say ramcharger!! If a dog douse get sprayed I am glad you was the one to take good care of them.

Not that I want you to go though this , But the dog has someone to help them though it.

I hope the smell is gone by the time you read my post.

She is a lucky dog. :) I can tell she hates being stinky though. She's slinking around and won't hold her head up. We'll see how bad it is tonight when I get home.

Joe, you have to really soak every inch that you think she was sprayed on, it takes a while to do but is worth the time, I used a full bottle on my Dobie. He is short hair so it was easier. I feel for ya I had to spend the night with mine indoors because if you put him out he will bark at everything that moves all night.
Bruce

Thanks Bruce!

Yeah, her fur is like a Rotties, real fine but thick if that makes sense. I thought I soaked her pretty good last night but I may have missed some spots and probably didn't get her good enough around/on her head.

I think she started to like it too much though....She was all spread out with her toungue hangin'. Made me feel.....Dirty.....LOL! I had to look around and see if the neighbors were watchin,....ROTF!

My Uncle got sprayed directly in the face when he was a kid. Climbing a small cliff, ran into the skunk in pocket in the dirt with nowhere to go (for the skunk, or my Uncle!) To this day he cannot smell skunk ! I remember riding down the road with him on more than one occasion and us kids asking him to roll up the window - he couldn't smell a thing - skunk proof !

Wow! Must've burnt out some olfactory receptors. :read2:

-
Back