Don't get in a HURRY!

-

Fishthatkills

Fish that kills
Reaction score
Just a note to say what a dumb azz I am. When I rebuilt the entire brake system on my 67' Cuda a year ago last November I must have been in such a hurry to get her on the road that I installed the wrong size shoes on all four corners. I had two short shoes on one rear side and two longer shoes on the other side. Same goes for the front. No wonder she stopped so good and pulled to the right. All manner of weirdness. But she did stop! I even took pictures and I have a searchable Pdf Shop manuel and everything one would need to do the job right.

But no, I was in such a hurry to drive it for the first time I goofed up. All is well now as I have repaired the mistakes and installed a new master cylinder and re-bled. I also learned that parts do have a shelf life. I bought the master cylinder I installed last year about 10 years ago. Never took it out of the box or wrapper and it looked good. Well it lasted a little over a year and leak city.

So from now on I will take my time and make sure everything is in order. I just thought that all you out in FABO land could use a good laugh at my expense! :wav:

I have seen things like this before when I first started as a mechanic. The one I liked most is the old pickup that came in and stopped better backing up. We found what he did was one side front and rear at a time and had both sides with primary[short] shoes on the rear and secondary[long] on the fronts.

My granddad, being born in 1910, had a saying for how to remind yourself of where the shoes go. I won't post it up since it's a saying from the Jim Crow days and segregation, so if you want to know, PM me. But only if you're not one of those who thinks today's sensitivities apply to the way things were 50-60 years ago. I guarantee, though, that once you learn this, you won't make the same mistake twice. Even if you get in a hurry.

If we dont make a mistake once in a while we're not doing anything.
Brake work is the one area where our mistakes can take the highest toll.
You must believe one that wont go is better than one that wont stop.
Raise your right hand and repeat after me, " I promise to never rush a brake service or repair ". You may be seated.... and buckle up. :)

My motto is. "If you want something done right, do it twice!" :-D

And when that fails. "Third time is a charm" :toothy10:

One time I was painting a car and had told the wife I would be ready to go soon as we were having dinner with her family that evening, well one beer led to another and well now the rush was on so I mixed the clear coat and spayed on coat one and cracked open another beer while waiting for it to tack up, then it was time for coat two and when I was refilling the gun I noticed that the activater was unopened!!! To this day I wonder was it the fact that I was in a hurry or was it the BEER???

Glad to know I'm not the only one who is capable of doing this sort of thing.
Had the rear end out of my dart took it all apart cleaned and painted every thing. Got all done took a picture of my grand feat.
then noticed the e brake cables sticking out the back instead of the front. Oops backing plates where on the wrong sides!

One time I was painting a car and had told the wife I would be ready to go soon as we were having dinner with her family that evening, well one beer led to another and well now the rush was on so I mixed the clear coat and spayed on coat one and cracked open another beer while waiting for it to tack up, then it was time for coat two and when I was refilling the gun I noticed that the activater was unopened!!! To this day I wonder was it the fact that I was in a hurry or was it the BEER???

:clock: + :drinkers: = #-o

Sounds like the time I mistook reducer for activator. :angry7:

I have learned to never paint when drinking. And I like to drink.

Reminds Me of years ago when I was helping a friend replace the brake pads/ shoes on his car.He was real interested until his girlfriend showed up.Then it was like" hurry up hurry up".Some time later his calipers nearly fell off!(Not My fault) luckily nothing serious happened but it was a costly repair for him.

Yea brake work is one of those things you want to do right! I always test the car in the 90 foot driveway, then it's off around the hood and do panic stops and such. All is working fine now. I am glad I could be of comic service. I am sure I will have many more instances to amuse myself and FABO.

John B.

-
Back