Door Alignment

-

4mulaSvaliant

Reaction score
Is it just my car, or do all the A-bodies seem to have an issue with the bottom - rear part of the door sticking out too far? Its almost like the door is in too far at the top and out too far at the bottom.
I don't want to space the top out, because it will also move the window frame out. That will cause all kinds of issues. Poor seal, may have to cut it loose and re-weld it, window track issues. No the solution!
There isnt anyway other than modifying the hinge in order to move it inward.
I have seen a few other cars (primarily POST cars) that seem to have the same issue.
Is it a post car thing... Or an A-body thing in general?

I'd be interested to hear as well. My passenger side is especially bad, driver side to some degree. I figured the car was just put together poorly (had new fenders installed before I bought it), but if there's a solution I'd love to hear it.

I am having the same issues. I just got my jams painted and am putting the doors on and trying to line them up.....but the rear bottom of the door is too far in. I am going to try and mess with the hinges a bit to see if I can get them lined up a little better and bring the bottom out.

It's like the door is twisted. My drivers door was the same way. Hinges lined up perfect, but the rear bottom of the door was out. I actually was able to twist the door back into shape with the door mounted on the car, but no interior panels were installed. I did it by putting my knees at the outside bottom of the door and pull as hard as I could with my weight on the top of the door frame. It worked after a few tries, but I sure my weight had something to do with it. LOL.

I've seen that method done on TV before, though it was the rear of the door they were fixing. I thought about trying it myself, but didn't really want to flex everything too much since it's already painted. I need to make sure all the other panels line up first, lol.

How about moving the front top out a little? Then adjust fender to match door.

Grant

You need to do it like they did at the factory smack it with a big mallet.

You can remove the door and hit it where the lower hinge mounts to the cowl.

Oneofmany: In many cases, if you move the top hinge outward, it in-turn moves the window frame out as well. That would make it so I would have to cut the tacks loose and move the window frame inward so it would seal again.

I was trying to stay way from actually twisting the door back into shape, since I dont want to make any more body issues than I already have. It may infact be the most simple way to resolve it though. Ill keep you all post on what happens with this.
I was really just interested as to whether other cars had it or it was just mine.

I didnt plan on taking the dorr OFF!! But I guess that smacking th hinge mount area is another option. Again, not too keen on that idea either.

With my luck I would smack the hinge area and have the hammer go through it, lol. It looks a little rusty around the bottom corners, not sure how far I wanna press my luck.

If you loosen the hinge where it bolts to the door, not the jamb, top and bottom, you can adjust it perfectly. No need to go bashing anything with a hammer or cutting any welds.

I figured there had to be an adjustment area.
Whats funny is, 1 out of 5 or 6 of us didnt know it was there!
Def. makes sence though. Usually hinges are set up to adjust up and down on one side of the hinge, and then in and out on the other side.
That was a typical scenario for me.... A common sence block!

If it was a flat door and jamb like house doors , but it's not. It's a radius. Stack 2 coins pefectly then slide the top coin down a little and watch the relation of the 2 edges. The bottom coin is exposed at the top of the radius and overlapped at the bottom.
This is the only way I can think of to explain it. Anyway the open end of the door needs to go up.
Move the a-pillar half of the top hinge toward the front of the car.
Just a tiny movement there makes a big difference at 3 feet away which is more geometry to try and explain.
I know the A-pillar sags a little over 40 plus years too but I can't explain gravity either. Like they say, "What goes up must come down". Hope this helps. Good luck with it.

Sorry if I didn't make it clear, but the adjustment is made on the door not the jamb as replicarracer pointed out. It's a fine balance, but you'll find it.

Grant

-
Back