Door Panel opinions needed

-

rod7515

Reaction score
Working on my 66 Dart. I started to clean the panels using 409 cleaner but they didnt come what I would call clean enough. So im thinking at this point I will paint them with the vinyl interior paint like I used on my dash pad. I was wondering if anyone else has done this? Im sure I cat find a nice set and if I did they would cost a fortune. These panels are in decent shape but the chrome strip near the middle has the chrome tape peeling off. I thought I would paint them with a gloss white to match the white body paint. Here are a few before and after pics of the cleanup.
DSCN0733.JPG
DSCN0734.JPG
DSCN0735.JPG
DSCN0736.JPG
DSCN0737.JPG
DSCN0738.JPG

Thanks
Rod

My opinion:
Those panels are amazing for the year.
I've gotten some good results with "sand soap"....like what you wash your hands with after a day working on your car. It's abrasive, so go easy. Do a section,rinse and look it over, hit it with armor-all after. Paint would be my last shot

+1 on the vinyl dye. Stuff isn't paint, it actually penetrates the substrate so it won't flake off like paint would eventually. I just made this for my '66. It's not really anything like original, but it only costs about $15 total.
IMG_1741.jpg

I used the SEM colorcoat on my door panels to change them from blue to black. Been about 5-6 years and they still look great.

Thanks for all the responses so far. I painted my dash pad cover with a vinyl paint that I bought from our local paint store. I forget what brand it is but when get home tomorrow night I will post. It is used with an automotive spray gun just like painting a car. I will try using the abrasive hand soap first and see if that cleans any better then the 409 or fantastic I used.
Big_John thanks for the link to that video. I might try doing the metal tape trick and see if i can make it look good before trying to paint them white.
Rustyfish, your panels look very good. Ive thought about that but want to try to revamp the originals first.
Thanks Again, Rod

Agree with Michael! Those look pretty good. I guess it really depends on what your purpose of the car is. If it's a driver and you want it to look original I'd leave them. If it's a concours restoration then I would buy new ones and put them away. I bought some of that mopar vinyl interior dye at a car show one time it was very pricey. It worked great covered good looked good but didnt last very long it started fading after a few years and chipped off pretty easily on hard plastic surfaces like my barracuda door panels

Mine were toast. They had already been painted from black to silver and had moisture damage, so no good. Yours are much much better.

I did a lot of my cleanup with Zep purple and some Cupran Special hand cleaner. Have both here if you want to try them.

Keith, thanks for the offer. Im going to try some hand cleaner tomorrow night. I dont expect much but one never knows. Will also try it with some scotch brite if needed. Im thinking I will be dying these panels!
Rod

Keith, thanks for the offer. Im going to try some hand cleaner tomorrow night. I dont expect much but one never knows. Will also try it with some scotch brite if needed. Im thinking I will be dying these panels!
Rod
green scotch bright works pretty good. Also fine bristle brush to get into pores. What kind of hand cleaner?

I dont know what kind/brand I have here. I did the fine bristle brush but will try again with the cleaner.
Rod

FYI- Plastic top and armrest were painted with SEM.
Vinyl fabric panel is original. Just cleaned.
5d50aaf4-6299-4373-9e8e-842257e3c696-jpeg-jpg.jpg

Wheres the before photo!! lol That panel looks great. Im afraid mine could be smoke and arm oil mixed. Gonna find out if it will come cleaner. I moved the car into the house garage so I can paint in the shed. Lots of room the work when i get home tomorrow.
Rod

Wheres the before photo!! lol That panel looks great. Im afraid mine could be smoke and arm oil mixed. Gonna find out if it will come cleaner. I moved the car into the house garage so I can paint in the shed. Lots of room the work when i get home tomorrow.
Rod
Mine were not horrible looking, but they took a bit of work.
The 'arm oil' could be tough if it actually is in the vinyl. Smoke- no problem. Between the 2 products I mentioned. Pretty much ANYTHING on the surface, and some absorbed in WILL be removed.

I think that "green", or any scotch brite should be a last resort. I like the short bristle brush idea. Perhaps a Mr Clean Magic eraser could help. I'd be real careful , I like what you have

I used the vinyl paint from O’Reillys on a boat seat 25 years ago. It has been out in the weather & sun a lot. Looks about the same after all this time. Doesn’t scratch or flake at all. Mine was dark brown, so it covered really well. Cleaning is critical. Didn’t sand or rough it up at all.

I also tried the light brown on a convertible top. Didn’t work very well there. Soaked in and wouldn’t cover.

I think that "green", or any scotch brite should be a last resort. I like the short bristle brush idea. Perhaps a Mr Clean Magic eraser could help. I'd be real careful , I like what you have
Yeh, don't want to dig in with a green pad. I don't think mine were actual scotch brite brand. Have one of those here now and it might be a bit too aggressive. I have some gray other brand that are softer...

If acetone doesn’t damage them, it will clean about anything off and doesn’t leave a residue. Just do it outside.

I can try the acetone. I have some of that here at home.
Thanks Mike
Acetone will probably destroy the vinyl. I wouldn't try it at all myself, but if you really want to, just do it on a small spot first.

Good idea on the trial, try it on the back where the vinyl folds around. I have used it before, but every plastic is different, particularly 50 year old stuff.

Damn, at first glance I thought it was wine!! I'll give it a shot tonight and see how it does. Thanks!!
Rod

Damn, at first glance I thought it was wine!! I'll give it a shot tonight and see how it does. Thanks!!
Rod
:lol: wine? You need to get out of the van for some fresh air. Them Chinese tire fumes are getting to you!

-
Back