Door panels do not stay put

-

Pawned

N.R.A. Lifetime Member - And damn proud of it
Reaction score
The door panels on my Duster are a pain in the butt.
I have tried to put new latches in to replace the factory ones. But they have been replaced so many times they will not stay in place (even with JB Weld)

So I was thinking about using screws to attach them. These two are not permanent, but there to see what they will look like.

What do you think. Opinions please

Attachments

• 20150202_182108[1].jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 194
I have tried to put new latches in to replace the factory ones. But they have been replaced so many times they will not stay in place (even with JB Weld)
Are you talking about the spring clips? Is the problem that the board is chewed up? The screws will work since the panel has been cut for speaker anyway. You can make a new board from masonite and paste/staple the vinyl to it.

I use hot glue to hold the spring clips in the chewed up board.

When it is real hot and applied it almost becomes part of the board and will tear some lose when being ripped off it

Are you talking about the spring clips? Is the problem that the board is chewed up? The screws will work since the panel has been cut for speaker anyway. You can make a new board from masonite and paste/staple the vinyl to it.

Yes, spring clips, the name did not come to me so I called them latches

I guess I can always make new panels later if this looks terrible and does not do the trick.

Could be the weight of them also , the vinyl looks heavy along with the speaker

That is the panels that I have to work with. I inherited the interior panels, I am just trying to avoid starting from scratch and building new panels

That is the panels that I have to work with. I inherited the interior panels, I am just trying to avoid starting from scratch and building new panels

I did new door cards from masonite. Peal off the vinyl, lay the old one on the masonite, trace, cut / drill, reglue the vinyl. never look back. The issue I had was that the cards were so soft from moisture cycles that nothing short of coating the entire board with fiberglass would make them strong enough to hold the pins.

I'll be doing the entire writeup when I decide how I want to finish the panels. Currently they're bare ( painted ) masonite with pockets and pulls. I made the clip holes to fit newer style plastic push-in ones

Oh.. and the screws look fine btw. I'm not discounting that. They also fit with the styling of the day. There are many other places that screws are visible in the stock interior.

-
Back