Doug Herbert solid cam?

-
You wont hit pistons when the .500-.550 lift cam has a lash of .018-.028 and the push rod angle is stealing another .010 or so.

narrower lsa...narrower power band.

is the cam even degree'd?

try it at 102* & use a dual plane..lol..it'll snap yer neck...though it will get about 8 mpg as well.

similar...
http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=1537&gid=283

http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=1539&gid=284

what do the heads flow int and exh?

Those 2 sound kinda big...? I liked the comp 282s also, but the Herbert seems to be better.

ur running a cam with 241* @.050 , 284* adv dur, 112*cl.
so steping up to 244-248* at .050 and less dur int with only 4* more on the exhaust is not a big jump, considering..

you want lumpy, but yet ull hate what most cam profiles that give that will do to the power range.....so that 417 cam with it's fatter @.050 duration is pretty sweet and should do what u want with a 106 lsa.imo

The first thing I want is some more torque to make it feel faster on that stoplight to stoplight fun. I really love to see those big cams idling at 1200 rpm but on the street it feels slower than a mild hydraulic cam.

I don't wanna piss you guys off :mrgreen: but it's hard to decide. Do you think that Lunati would have more torque than the 528?

The lunati is more expensive also, the cam alone is 185 + 12U$ handling from summit.

ok ....here we go again.lol

if u want more torque and dont think ull need to rev up to 7k, more like 6500.....then just advance the .528 to 104*-106*...

if you want ''sound''.....then just get a cam thats too big.lol...or use one that i mentioned so that ull still retain good power 'in the desired range' aaallllooonnng with the ''sound'' u want.

jmo...i love the fact that the crackling idle of the .528 sounds tame compared to a lot of other 280*-284* cams, yet every time u crack the throttle...ur passenger is dumbfounded as to how much power it makes and high rpm it offers.

Ok, I understand.

There's some things to consider:

1-Lunati 283-288: the cam alone is U$197. It's from summit so they can't declare a smaller value when shipping (big shop) and I have to pay 60% in duties. AND I will need new springs and the lifters.

2- Herbert: cam and lifters are U$169. Herbert will ship, so I can ask him to declare a smaller value. I can use my old springs with this one.

What do you really think about the Herbert cam? I was very excited about that one because it is almost exactly what I was looking for, and for a good price.

Yes but, It has a lot of duration too. If it would make the same power that the one I have I won't spend almost U$900 on it (cam, lifters, springs and shipping).

Yes but, It has a lot of duration too. If it would make the same power that the one I have I won't spend almost U$900 on it (cam, lifters, springs and shipping).

well yea it does... pick the duration for your rpm range... which you already said was below 240 @ .050, pick the one with the lowest adv duration (i.e. fastest ramps) and the most lift that you can safely run... for that big cam sound and more over lap run a 106 and lower or a nicer idle and lower tq rpm run 108 and up...

if he's going with less than what he has now, @ .050...then he must want a smaller cam in general.

what pistons are these again?
If they are the KB hypers...i dont an issue running this cam or the others..
http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=1539&gid=284

if all ur hang ups revolve around piston/valve clearance, i suggest you start measuring and quit quit wasting time and possibly money.jmo

Thanks for the advice guys. My car has a 3.91 and 4 speed trans. When I built the engine it had a 3.15 and it was really "dead" above 3000 rpm. It's way better with the 3.91.

I have about 9.8/1 compression and I'm running 89 octane without detonation, so I think the cam bleeds a lot of cyl pressure. I can find 95 octane gas but the car runs the same and the 95 is more expensive. My new valves are nailhead so it will kill some CCs.

I think I really didn't liked the 528 cam, it runs like a big cam but sound stockish... I know this is silly but for me it's a part of the "cool factor". I've been looking to a LOT of grinds, I wanted a solid below [email protected] and a tighter lsa. I found some nice ones from Lunati and Engle but they have too much lift, or duration, or both.

Oh, well get a Comps Thumper Cam--those have that "sound"

I don't think you have 9.8 compression with those 8.5 pistons--even if the heads are milled

Ok you got around 9.2 I would guess/ Compression often times is lower then stated unless the blocks been deck.

Well I'm not sure what sound your after, maybe different mufflers would help ? If your mufflers are baffled and not straight through that can kill the noise tone.

More compression smooths out the sound but increases the roar, that cam might take 11 to 1 with 95 alcohol-gas you have, isn't it like 20--30% alcohol

But different pistons are likely out.

Put in a Mega Isky cam, maybe 280 but I would go 270 with the compression you have and being you want more low end power, that comes in a solid grind as well, if solid get a 280, its on a 108 lbc

It's 20% alcohol... I'm runinng flowmaster 40s. I had glasspacks before but it was about the same at idle. I think my X pipe smooths the idle also.

Well... The Lunati 283/288 will have more torque than the 528? I mean low end, throttle response.... If yes I'll try to get this one. I'm trying to find it in another shop.

I'm running these pistons: http://autopartsnerd.com/item.wws?sku=285NP&itempk=6084348&mfr=SEALED POWER&weight=5

all the cams i mentioned will have close to the same power band but are faster ramped which will give more under the curve power...so yes that means more bottom end....but if you really just want more bottom end....ADVANCE THE CAM U HAVE 1st.
Where is degreed at right now?
If it's at 110-112...then its no wonder its light in the low end...
And how much initial timing r u running?
...yes, the .528 does bleed cyl psi off a decent amount-60* o lap

what cranking cyl psi do you have now?

I think I'll do that man. I'm pretty sure the cam is installed straight up.

I'm running 22° initial, 36° total and it has about 16-17" vacuum at idle. I don't know about the cyl pressure.

what do you want more?power or sound?me personally...id rather be fast and sound tame than be tame and sound fast.as wild stated you can advance the cam you have and shift the power band to a lower rpm.its also cheaper and less work than a complete cam swap.ive never run the mp 528 grind but i know it makes good power across a broad range based on riding shotgun in a few members(well tuned) cars.if you do decide on swapping cams i have run the isky mega series that was mentioned and was happy with the results.ive run several custom grinds in my 340 with lsa from 108 to 114 and ended up keeping the 114.the sound is not nearly as nasty,but it comes on strong down low and pulls hard all the way to the top.that 528 you have seems like a nice grind....id give it a chance with some tuning etc before pulling it.

what do you want more?power or sound?me personally...id rather be fast and sound tame than be tame and sound fast.as wild stated you can advance the cam you have and shift the power band to a lower rpm.its also cheaper and less work than a complete cam swap.ive never run the mp 528 grind but i know it makes good power across a broad range based on riding shotgun in a few members(well tuned) cars.if you do decide on swapping cams i have run the isky mega series that was mentioned and was happy with the results.ive run several custom grinds in my 340 with lsa from 108 to 114 and ended up keeping the 114.the sound is not nearly as nasty,but it comes on strong down low and pulls hard all the way to the top.that 528 you have seems like a nice grind....id give it a chance with some tuning etc before pulling it.

Power of course. The sound is just to put a bigger smile on my face. :toothy5:

It's 20% alcohol... I'm runinng flowmaster 40s. I had glasspacks before but it was about the same at idle. I think my X pipe smooths the idle also.
you are correct about the x pipe smoothing/quieting the idle.i switched from an H to an X and it smoothed out and toned it down a lot.

-
Back