Dougs headers now installed on my 408

-

dans4door1970

Reaction score
Ok. They are in. Had to pull the torsion bar and suspension apart on the passenger side and install from underneath. I could not get the drivers side on when the passenger side were laying in the engine bay as they wouldn't let me wiggle the engine enough to clear the steering box. It's a manual flaming river box. very small. Drivers side had to install in engine bay and slowly let engine down as we fit it into the car. I have a 4 speed and I ordered the TTi zbar and then had the clutch tab moved to the inside by a local welder. I installed the mini-starter on the engine first before lowering the engine. The short oil filter fits without a 90 degree adapter and I have room to wire up the starter. I ordered a DEI heat sheath, 1 1/2 inch by 3 foot for the starter wiring as it passes close to the headers. This job was a real *****, period. I have a Bendpak lift that helped. The finished product is satisfactory as long as I don't have to take the engine back out. The headers clear the bell housing on both sides. The zbar clutch rod is very close but works freely. I would try the TTi headers next time to see if they are a bit easier. As the old hot rodding saying goes, Some assembly and fabrication may be needed!!!! Glad this part of the upgrade is over!

What do you think it would be like (harder/easier) to install the headers with the engine out of the car on the K-frame and put the engine back in from underneath?

If you have a lift ....dropping the car onto the engine/Trany/header/K-member assembly is the best way to go... Done it several times....

If you have a lift ....dropping the car onto the engine/Trany/header/K-member assembly is the best way to go... Done it several times....
No lift needed just a cherry picker did it more times than I care to remember

I used that method as well..... not nearly as easy as a lift and and flatdeck trany hoist though...

I've done it before too just not with headers already on the engine... just make sure the cherry picker is set to the correct weight limit, I had one literally flip over because I overloaded it by trying to lift the front of the car with the engine bolted in. Thankfully no one was hurt and the damage done to the car was minor.

When you cherrypicker up the front of the car, what to you secure the hoist chain to? Do you drill the frame rails and bolt the chain/cable to them?

-
Back