Dougs or TTIs?

• Dougs Headers

Votes: 34 39.5%
  • TTI Headers

Votes: 52 60.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-
I thought the smaller primaries and the 2-1/2" collectors would hurt me at the strip but the Dougs have really suprised me with the performance. I would like to try the ttis for the stepped primaries on my next 360 build.

Remember Chrysler Power magazine ? They were always doing performance/installation comparisons with after market heads, exhaust, HEADERS, carbs, cams, anything that claimed to do something better than what we had,,,,,,,helping the mopar world , and saving all of us lots of time and money, and aggravation. Not only doing a flow bench test or such, BUT actually installing the product on they're motor/car, and taking it to the track and doing a hands on... I still dig out those old Chrysler Power mags from time to time, and reference them......It seems like all the Mopar rags out there now are afraid to do this. It's all about the advertising bucks.

again i will say i am not happy with the tti's. ports did not match up. off by at least an 1/8th in.+ in all ports. this was on both eddys and j heads.

Which Edelbrock Heads? I will confess that I rested up only my TTI headers to a set of RPM heads but really didn't look close to fitment but a 1/8 of an inch? Thunk I would have noticed but perhaps not! Although I put a couple outboard bolts in ,no gasket,semi tight I noticed the flange was bowed out a bit in the center. I figured this was normal minus the gasket and properly bolted and torqued correctly.

I'd hate to see that ,that ports will be that far off, since I even had my intake ported and matched.

May have to take them out of the box again.Crap, :shaking:

Remember Chrysler Power magazine ? They were always doing performance/installation comparisons with after market heads, exhaust, HEADERS, carbs, cams, anything that claimed to do something better than what we had,,,,,,,helping the mopar world , and saving all of us lots of time and money, and aggravation. Not only doing a flow bench test or such, BUT actually installing the product on they're motor/car, and taking it to the track and doing a hands on... I still dig out those old Chrysler Power mags from time to time, and reference them......It seems like all the Mopar rags out there now are afraid to do this. It's all about the advertising bucks.

Fortunately there is an online magazine that is doing this again. Moparmax.com is doing a driveway tech feature. Reason I know this is because they gave me a free set of Doug's headers to install in my early a-body. They want a fully documented install with pictures and everything. They want to know all the pitfalls and the solutions to be included in the article. This is my first tech article for a magazine so this will be fun. They would have includes dyno testing as well, but I had already removed the Spitfires. :shaking:

My snag right now with the Doug's is that they do not fit the 10.5" bellhousing. I wainting on parts from Brewer's Perfomance that will convert my bellhousing, clutch fork and z-bar to the stock location. Thus allowing the use of the more commonly available and larger 10.5" clutch and aluminum bellhousing.

Keep your eyes peeled for the upcoming thread on FABO and Moparmax.com

Dave

sum pics. what to look out for.

HeaderGaskets.jpg

HeaderFlangeWeld.jpg

IMG_3081.jpg

IMG_3093.jpg

That's a nasty weld on the flange! I'm going to take a closer look at mine now

Eeeek

Although there should be no restrictions ,probably and I say probably ,the alignment issue is the result of multi-fit applications on the TTI Headers and different cylinder head applications.

Although I would prefer a clean flow I doubt the restriction is taking away from performance or exhaust flow. Marginal at best

The weld,whole different story. Did you grind it down?

that was a pic of another guys headers its what had to be done to increase the surface were flange meets gasket. to prevent a blown gasket.

i have a couple hours port matching in my headers now.ok maybe one good hour. still for 600 bucks i shouldnt have to gasket match the f#@*ing header.

that was a pic of another guys headers its what had to be done to increase the surface were flange meets gasket. to prevent a blown gasket.

i have a couple hours port matching in my headers now.ok maybe one good hour. still for 600 bucks i shouldnt have to gasket match the f#@*ing header.

Interesting

You should have taken a before picture. I thought the header came that way. Now that you explained it makes more sense.

How about adding a third header to the poll? Heddman 75109/75110. I got a set of Harold's headers but am reconsidering as I'm now planning on a stroker and need the breathing room. Heddman's look to fit the bill with 1 &3/4 or 1&7/8" primaries and a 3" collector versus the 2&1/2" collector on Doug's. Anyone use the Heddman's? Tire clearance? How much of a hack job on the inner fender's as compared to Doug's and Hooker's?

Hooker's and Hedman's are hack/cut jobs on early a's. Dougs, TTI, and Spitfires are all under chassis.

DING DING DING

Cost $225 COD. I got mine ceramic coated add $160 Total $385. These might be up for sale if i get the Doug's to work FYI.

Dave

Dave, who did you send them to for the ceramic coating?

Dave, who did you send them to for the ceramic coating?

A local guy in Camarillo. He does custom stainless headers mostly. He used to do the headers for Dick Landy as well. Cool guy and surfer too.

Yes, those headers with the additional weld added were mine. TTI makes the headers so they will fit both Magnum and LA style heads. I called TTI and they are aware of the issue and told me to add the weld because the sealing is "marginal" on Edelbrock or any other LA gasket matched heads.

As far as loosing performance from the header over hanging the port its not a super big deal. It only does it on the 4 outside ports and it is in the lower portion where flow is not effected as much. The 4 inside ports match up to the head perfectly.

Wonder if the Dougs have that port over hang issue?

Well now that i've had the chance to see both Doug's and tti's installed,i'll take tti's every time,i've got tti's on my duster and the fit is perfect..we installed a set of Dougs on my buddys '70 small block dart yesterday..first off tti's are step headers..Dougs are not..one of the tubes on the Dougs is right against the side of the oil pan..not a good thing,the same tube on the tti's has about 1/2" clearance,he also had to add spacer to the motor mount to get the Dougs to clear the steering box:thumbdow:..then had to make one of the mounting holes oh the header flange bigger because it wasn't quite lined up with the the head..my friend wasn't too impressed with Dougs and swore next time he'll be spending the extra money on tti's..by the way my friend is also the mechanic who works on my duster if i don't and has been around and raced nothing but Mopars for 20+ years,and between the 2 of us we've installed and removed many a set of headers and both agree tti's over Dougs anytime...

Dougs is right against the side of the oil pan..not a good thing,the same tube on the tti's has about 1/2" clearance,he also had to add spacer to the motor mount to get the Dougs to clear the steering box:thumbdow:..then had to make one of the mounting holes oh the header flange bigger because it wasn't quite lined up with the the head..

and tti NEVER has any of those issue or other issues... please note the sarcasm.

This poll is way out of wack now. The original post was for the early a-bodies. Not the 67 and up!!!. I seriously doubt there are 37 people on this forum that voted for the tti's have put them in an early a-body!!! TTI has only sold about 150 sets so far. Just pointing this out.

This poll is way out of wack now. The original post was for the early a-bodies. Not the 67 and up!!!. I seriously doubt there are 37 people on this forum that voted for the tti's have put them in an early a-body!!! TTI has only sold about 150 sets so far. Just pointing this out.

Dave,

Please stop making sense.

and tti NEVER has any of those issue or other issues... please note the sarcasm.

Please note: what i said the tti's fit PERFECT on my duster,my friend had problems with the Dougs..this i know from seeing firsthand i can see why tti's cost more they actually FIT!!!!

Please note: what i said the tti's fit PERFECT on my duster,my friend had problems with the Dougs..this i know from seeing firsthand i can see why tti's cost more they actually FIT!!!!

Yep tti's are great for the later a's no doubt there. I pulled a set of tti's out of a 70 dart just last week. They fit very nice and the full exhaust is badass. Perfect fit.

Where's the ketcup for my horse burger. :toothy7:

The driver's side is easier with the Doug's on an early-a because of the slip joints. Puls you don't have to remove the torsion bar. It's even easier if you do.

I'm glad to have tried both and can report on the early a fitment.

This thread started with which is better - but the responses have been which fit better. I have TTis - they fit ok - but on the dyno they were pretty bad. May just be my set-up or something unique .. but we tried other headers (many of which would not fit in an a-body) and those that had longer primaries and/or longer collectors did much better.

Anyone do a Doug/TTi HP compare?

Kory

-
Back