DP secondaries

-

Shane

Reaction score
Ok, So I think I have learned by now, to ask a question first. Before I go messing around and making something simple into something complicated.

I have a mechanical secondary holley double pumper on my 340 and it is running great. Choke is set up good car starts and drives great.

So today I have a friend in the car push the pedal to the floor and an look down the carb, the secondaires only opend about 3/4 of the way.

Whats the best way to go about adjusting them. Tighten the throttle cable? there is a very little bit of slack in the cable...

or is there any adjustment to get them opening up a little sooner?

Thanks for any pointers..

Shane

bend the lil arm to make it shorter.
Use channel locks and scrunch it a lil at a time till it's right, you can do it with the carb on the car.
make sure the primarys are fully open 1st.

First of all, check to see if they will open further if you adjust the throttle cable. It could be that you'll need to adjust the mechanical linkage rather than the throttle cable.

if the primaries are open fully...then you will need to bend the little arm that links the primary and secondary throttle blades..

Hey thanks for the quick replies guys!

And your all on the same page so I will go look into it and report back!

THanks

Shane

Ok so I tried to tighten the throttle cable a little more, but after some driving it seems to hang up , and keep the idle rpms from 750, to 1000-1200.

Is this the linkage I need to bend?

IMG_0459.jpg

Yes, that's the one. It's odd that it's gone out of adjustment. Check to see if the slotted plate on the secondary shaft is loose. They are only staked on. If it is loose, you should really pick up another throttle body from Quick Fuel or Holley.

Ok so I tried to tighten the throttle cable a little more, but after some driving it seems to hang up , and keep the idle rpms from 750, to 1000-1200.

Is this the linkage I need to bend?

There is a chrysler throttle bracket you can buy, I always run one on my holley/mopar cars, it corrects the arm ratio and give full throttle/kick down pressure and could be the cure for lack of wot with the pedal.
oh yeah, the lil cable sleeve in combo with the slightly kinked cable is whats causing the bind.

YUep! The MoPar arm adapter moves the throttle cable outward for better alignment and slightly downward. Also, it moves the cable closer to the fulcrum point which will have a greater effect of the opening ratio. Less cable movement, greater opening amount and rate.

Yea? See I was jsut going to type that I think my problem is in the throttle cable. I'll get myself one of those brackets. I am assuming just look on jegs?

Thanks wild and crazy!

I will order one up right away...

Do you happen to have a picture of one installed?

If your primaries are open all the way, a new throttle cable bracket won't solve anything.

-
Back