drag race brakes

-

o1heavy

1974 dart sport
Reaction score
looking at brake options for my 74 dart sport. Wanting to lose as much weight as possible /street car but a lot of drag racing use
Seams aerospace is the folks to deal
With just wanted to run it by some fellow gearheads before I spend
Thanks.

I haven't installed them yet, but I got Aerospace Components vented front brakes for my Dart Sport race only car. It weighs 3,540 + and sometimes we get hot-lapped, so I figured the thicker rotors would be better. In my opinion, with yours also being a street car, it would add an extra measure of reliability over the race only brakes.

I'm sure there will be some weight savings over the OEM cast iron calipers and rotors.

I lost just a touch over 50 pounds going from 73 factory disc to Strange race brakes on my street/strip Dart. If I had went back to the small spindle it would've been a few pounds more.

there's a lot of weight savings with the lighter brakes from any of the manufactures, plus your hotrods weight bais changes for the better but be careful if you want to hit the brakes hard at the finish line and be hanging onto the steering wheel.

I'll look into the strange setup.
I can't afford to make 3500 lbs go fast
The factory stuff really doesn't work that good to begin with in my experience
And I've had this pig for20 years
looking for weight cuts with improvements

image.jpeg

Back around 1970, a car magazine did a story on Dick Landy. They ask him why he was paying such careful attention to the brakes -- because you only need to stop once. His reply, "Yeah, but you only get one chance to stop."

A true classic response.

I'll look into the strange setup.
I can't afford to make 3500 lbs go fast
The factory stuff really doesn't work that good to begin with in my experience
And I've had this pig for20 years
looking for weight cuts with improvements

Getting a heavy car fast may be expensive, but getting all that weight stopped can be a bigger challenge than a lighter car that's faster! All the brake companies should have weight recommendations for their various assemblies.

I don't have any intentions of pushing my luck with stopping ,
I'm just looking at upgrading a part of the car that I think doesn't work that well and lookin to save some weight (manual brakes). I'm seeing some good street brakes for sale that are a touch lighter

there's a lot of weight savings with the lighter brakes from any of the manufactures, plus your hotrods weight bais changes for the better but be careful if you want to hit the brakes hard at the finish line and be hanging onto the steering wheel.
This.... Normally, I like stock brake systems,for available parts on seals,bearings, & off the shelf parts...You break down, that company doesn't do road call services....

Getting a heavy car fast may be expensive, but getting all that weight stopped can be a bigger challenge than a lighter car that's faster! All the brake companies should have weight recommendations for their various assemblies.
I do appreciate your input , seams you have quite a bit of experience with these old hotrods
Just don't want to sound like a know it all. Or ungrateful

Myron (Locomotion) is a very sharp guy and an accomplished racer. I'd venture to say he's one of the best racers on this site or any others he visits.

Myron (Locomotion) is a very sharp guy and an accomplished racer. I'd venture to say he's one of the best racers on this site or any others he visits.
Yours is very impressive as well would love to get mine inline with your timeslips

-
Back