Drag strip launch problem

-
Some info on your suspension setup might be very helpful with figuring out your launch issues.You will have to spent plenty of T&T to finally get it right,at least it did for me when I was racing my 4 speed car.I gave up and built my 66 Dart with auto,which is much easier on parts and the car.

Leave off @ Idle and let the converter flash, you can be more consistent and should not bog
at those RPM's all you are doing is loading the drivetrain and the suspension. If you have a transbrake then you leave at those RPM's or at least a 2 step

Leave off @ Idle and let the converter flash, you can be more consistent and should not bog
at those RPM's all you are doing is loading the drivetrain and the suspension. If you have a transbrake then you leave at those RPM's or at least a 2 step
Read^^^4 speed LoL:eek:ops:

I would also try the Demon first, your combo seems pretty stout and I wouldn't be surprised if your Edelbrock and/or Thermoquad need some mods to work. Usually fuel delivery problems show up at the big end, there should be enough reserve fuel in the bowls to handle the launch.

But yes your fuel system can only flow as much as the smallest part and it sounds like you have different sizes throughout; it should all be the same size at least 3/8" all the way.

The above statement has issues. The combo is not a crazy one. The stock carbs do have there limitations, but your not there yet as to "Require" mods.
The AFB or the TQ can handle the combo. Without mods. But the AFB does have an issue with the secondary door not being adjustable or difficult to adjust since it will tKe a lot of trial and error to fix. The weighted air doors are not obtainable.

You do make sense by short sold the Carter carbs unfairly. Lack of fuel on the big end is normally seen as a miss.

The probable issue is uncovering the primary jets on launch.

I would replace the whole fuel line with at least 1/2 inch or bigger right out of the cell. but sounds like you are sloshing the fuel bowls I had this happen to me in my old duster I had to put tubes in the fuel bowls slosh tubes

The probable "BINGO" IMO right here. There's a little problem to do this on a Carter design.

u do not need a hood scoop, #4 is way small-should be 6 or 8 or 3/8", it is not fuel sloshing - I drop the clutch at 5000 with slicks with an AVS and run 11.7 with no scoop, super stock 340 cars run 10s with AVS and thermoquads and no scoop

If it is not the fuel sloshing, then it's starving for fuel. The flip to the above possible. But your example is excellent. The carbs can run.

Some info on your suspension setup might be very helpful with figuring out your launch issues.You will have to spent plenty of T&T to finally get it right,at least it did for me when I was racing my 4 speed car.I gave up and built my 66 Dart with auto,which is much easier on parts and the car.

This is also a real big issue on launching a car. It does effect everything.

My suggestion for the Carter carb use is;

1; Shelve the AFB. The non adjustable air door will cause more problems than it's worth. When they slam open at a bad time in the engines rpm and cars actual need for the secondary to be open are the biggest offenders to the problem coupled with the issue of the carb NOT having a secondary pump shot ability.

To use the AFB effectively right now would require you to "Walk" it (the car) out off the line and slowly step into the throttle as quick as the car can handle it.

2; raise the float level of ether of the Carter carbs. Yes this enriches the mix and further tuning will be required. Tighten up the TQ's air door so it doesn't tip in to early.

3; Yes! Do try the Demon carb. Use jet extensions as needed.

4; all fuel lines to 3/8th's. For strip purposes, I like an electric pump.

Well, did you get to the track? Or did you get to do any wrenching this weekend??

Rumblefish that's basically what i meant by mods with your reference of the primaries being uncovered at high g's... since the bowls are oriented front-to-back the fuel is probably sloshing to the back and screwing up fuel delivery to the primary boosters. Carters have very shallow angles that the boosters go into the venturis which is why they are more sensitive to float levels than Holley-type designs. It's a simple problem but tough to fix it would be much easier just to switch to the demon the OP has.

I've been running my AFB for years and i love it for the street but when i go to the strip or make sharp turns at high speed its faults become obvious.

If it's getting traction you definetly need to step up the launch rpm. My car makes over 700hp and if I launch at 4500 rpm it'll fall on its face. Try launching at 6000 and find the sweet spot from there.

Found the problem the fuel filter had come loose is side its cover and was moving and blocking the out let so it was getting some fuel and after launch blocked hole off and carb didn't get fuel for a couple of sec. ALSO move my launch rpm to 4000 THANKS TO ALL

Do not like to but had to put my slicks on and test on the street do to it being ford week at the track near me

Found the problem the fuel filter had come loose is side its cover and was moving and blocking the out let so it was getting some fuel and after launch blocked hole off and carb didn't get fuel for a couple of sec. ALSO move my launch rpm to 4000 THANKS TO ALL

Do not like to but had to put my slicks on and test on the street do to it being ford week at the track near me

Nice glad to hear i was over thinking it :)

Check the fuel level in the fuel bowls. You may be uncovering the jets at launch. Sure sounds like a lean out to me too. Also if the fuel level is too high it will slosh and make the engine stumble.

Terry

Check the float level. One or both too low could be uncovering the primary jet on launch. Once the initial launch has passed, the fuel will flow forward and the car will pick back up.

-
Back