Drive Shaft Torque.

-

Cudafever

Reaction score
Is there any way to calculate drive shaft torque with a drive shaft speed sensor?
Or how is it calculated.
What i would like to see is the Spike the driveshaft gets when the trans brake or clutch is released. The first turn of the drive shaft at launch.

The basics of torque is measured just like a torque wrench--a "weight" (mass) on a lever of known length. "If" you could somehow make engine mounts on bearings, and hook the engine to a sensor as it moved you could measure it, or also same idea at the rear axle. But springs, etc will affect that. I know of no practical way

Lets just say it's a crapton. That's all I got.

If you have a eng that has max torque of 400ft pounds at 5000 rpm and the 727 trans has 2:54 first gear ratio then that would be over 1000ft pound. but the initial spike would be more then that.......
That overriding clutch, sprag, what every you want to call it. Is taking a beating.

Here's a graph of an actual stick shift pass with calculated/averaged driveshaft torque added to the graph...

clutchtameruniversityQ3drive.png

Here's a link to my page that explains how I came up with the above torque numbers...
ClutchTamer.com

Grant

Contact a company that makes racing driveshafts, but the info is probably proprietary.

Drive shaft is really not my worries. Just wanting to figure out just how much the drive train has to....and will take. and using the Drive Shaft was a good visual for this question.

Sticks are different, the engine has a bunch more momentum than an auto. Peak load should be torque at flash rpm including 1st gear, no? It shouldn’t develop any real momentum, other than the flash rpm, because the TB. I guess the converter might be able to multiple torque enough to exceed the initial spike, but I don’t think so. The car will be moving then?

-
Back