Driveline vibration out of now where! Help!

-
Pinkish Red fluid is a great sign.

Trans mounts get hammered out and the rubber in them goes away setting the trans tail metal on metal conduction sound. So yes check that out, good thing to get done. Time takes it toll on those rubber parts.

You could take your floor jack, a couple short 2x4s and small pad of carpet or cardboard and jack the tail of the transmission up off the rear cross member about a half an inch. Then start it up on the jack stands and run it and see if your noises go away. This could have something to do with things moving while you jacked the front of the car up doing the front brakes.

You might get lucky . . .
i was thinking the same thing about maybe the mount tore when i jacked it up. Will definately check this out this weekend!

I went out and put a piece of wood on top of my floor jack and put it under the transmission and raised it up a little to see if it changed anything..same ole thing..seemed like it might have not been QUITE as bad but still there, i think it wasnt quite as bad because i had the trans picked up so it wasnt transmitting it quite as much through the trans mount..Oh well, wishful thinking i guess..I will try to do more this weekend..I dont have a lot of time between work and mowing the property and everything else..I wish one of you guys lived closer and could come by and check it out..
I guess this weekend i will try and remove the yoke from the driveshaft and put the yoke in the trans and see what happens..Then pull the pan and also see if i can see anything going on at the flexplate area..

Let's see, everything in your driveshaft, rear end, and brakes have checked good. So they are not making any noise. I don't think you are going to gain anything by just putting the driveshaft yoke in alone by it's self and testing, it will still make the same sounds. Skip removing the yoke, and leave the driveshaft in for now.

The next simple thing is to check the tightness of the flexplate to the torque converter bolts. There is a little small inspection plate on the front of the 727s dust shield you can remove. Have someone click the starter over and see if you can see the torque converter bolts through the flex plate there. 4 of them see if you can tighten them up with a socket a little but don't overdue. Otherwise you got to pull the starter and the larger dust shield to get to there flex plate bolts. Can leave this apart as you will be removing the pan next.

Then if still No Joy, then it's on to dropping the pan and see what is in there. Process of elimination: either it is going to be clean in there, or there is going to be lots of clutch material and metal filings. Either way this is going to tell you something on the next steps you need to take.

So far So good . . .

Let's see, everything in your driveshaft, rear end, and brakes have checked good. So they are not making any noise. I don't think you are going to gain anything by just putting the driveshaft yoke in alone by it's self and testing, it will still make the same sounds. Skip removing the yoke, and leave the driveshaft in for now.

The next simple thing is to check the tightness of the flexplate to the torque converter bolts. There is a little small inspection plate on the front of the 727s dust shield you can remove. Have someone click the starter over and see if you can see the torque converter bolts through the flex plate there. 4 of them see if you can tighten them up with a socket a little but don't overdue. Otherwise you got to pull the starter and the larger dust shield to get to there flex plate bolts. Can leave this apart as you will be removing the pan next.

Then if still No Joy, then it's on to dropping the pan and see what is in there. Process of elimination: either it is going to be clean in there, or there is going to be lots of clutch material and metal filings. Either way this is going to tell you something on the next steps you need to take.

So far So good . . .

I know, im just frusterated because I don't have a lot of time, I already spent the last 6 weekends doing the front end and brake swap and was super excited about getting to start driving it with good brakes instead of those drums that were on there..lol..Tell me this, is there a possibility that when I drop the pan it could be totally clean but still be in the transmission? That's my fear is not ever being able to find what it is..its just so strange how it acts...Hopefully something will show its face this weekend..

There are lots of clues to this puzzel and trying to diagnose it over the internet takes a big imagination and good old experience.

Here is the latest clue directing the problem to the inner workings of the transmission. The way you bought the transmission from someone (a stranger) that delivered it to a show for you, saying it was overhauled, this is very, very suspect of all of your problems. Could have just been a junkyard rebuild quick job, just to turn the used transmission into money for the seller. Or maybe not even rebuilt at all, just cleaned up to sell.

Your Quote:
I found this one rebuilt and ready to go and able to be picked up at a local show to me..

Unfortunately people lie all the time when trying to sell you used parts that they want to turn into money (especially from a stranger). So much so that: Everyone is lying until they can be proven otherwise.

You were saying your friend looked at it before you installed it, but just installing new clutch discs does not constitute a good rebuild.

There are lots of clues to this puzzel and trying to diagnose it over the internet takes a big imagination and good old experience.

Here is the latest clue directing the problem to the inner workings of the transmission. The way you bought the transmission from someone (a stranger) that delivered it to a show for you, saying it was overhauled, this is very, very suspect of all of your problems. Could have just been a junkyard rebuild quick job, just to turn the used transmission into money for the seller. Or maybe not even rebuilt at all, just cleaned up to sell.

Your Quote:
I found this one rebuilt and ready to go and able to be picked up at a local show to me..

Unfortunately people lie all the time when trying to sell you used parts that they want to turn into money (especially from a stranger). So much so that: Everyone is lying until they can be proven otherwise.

You were saying your friend looked at it before you installed it, but just installing new clutch discs does not constitute a good rebuild.

True. The friend that went through it was a tranny tech at a chrysler dealership for years and he did say it definatley had been gone through with new parts and all, but he didn't say if it was everything or not. I helped him tear into it to check it out before I installed it and remember it looked like it was all fresh inside, but that was around 2002 or so. I have not put 1000 miles on it since then, but..I have done some wide open take offs and burnouts..lol

Last edited:
440 that lots of power, it will show up the weak components . . Lol . . .

Today i pulled the driveshaft back out and fired it up on the jackstands and ran it again..It did NOT do the pulsating/phasing vibration with the driveshaft removed! It didnt spit trans fluid out like i thought it would with the slip yoke removed.I checked the shaft and u-joints over again and reinstalled it. I also decided to change the transmission mount. The old one fell out in 4 pieces when i removed the cross bar..Put it all back together and no luck, still does the vibration.. Unfortunately i am going to have to take a break from the car. I have spent the last 7 weekends working on it from sun up to late afternoon doing the front end rebuild and disk brake swap and now trying to figure this problem out. My body hurts and i have so many jobs around the house that im behind on now, This really sucks because when i got the front end and disk swap done, i was ready to do some driving with this car..now im stumped..I will pull the pan next time i get a chance to mess with it.

Well, this may not be as bad as i thought!.as i said, i changed the trans mount and with it set up on jack stands, it still did it. ok, i decided to take it out for a ride and the first thing i noticed is that unless im REALLY looking for it, i didnt notice it..After driving around for an hour, im starting to think it has always been like this, but i didnt really notice it until the trans mount let go and then it was REALLY noticeable! Now, with the new mount, i really cant hear it like i was and can feel it just a little but really have to be looking for it.. I still need to figure it out but im not as worried as i was because i do believe its back to normal.

Curious as to what you guys thoughts are about the fact that it did NOT vibrate with the driveshaft/slipyoke removed..?

-
Back