Driveshaft length?

-

Greenmachine225

Reaction score
Hey does anyone happen to know the length a driveshaft needs to be from a 904 trans to an 8 3/4 in a 71 duster. And the U joint sizes I need for both ends?

Mine is 47.75 inches
That is the measurement for a 727 in a Dart isn't it?
maybe not;
my little Govier book says has no listing for a 904/8.75.
The closest thing would be a M/T and 8.75.
They have one application for 70/71 and it is 48.96
They list 7260 joints on that
But that shaft would have the large slip-yoke on it
It is pn2883760

Edit; large-spline slip-yoke, for the A833 which is same spline as 727.
The 904 slip-yoke would have to be transferred over.

Last edited:
71 Demon has a 47.75 Center of U joint to center of U joint drivershaft....it is on the ground...I measured it yesterday cause I need a new one for the Dana 60...This is for a 71 Demon with 904 and 8 3/4.....Plain English....

my chart says it should be 48.88..let me measure it again in the morning.

That is the measurement for a 727 in a Dart isn't it?
maybe not;
my little Govier book says has no listing for a 904/8.75.
The closest thing would be a M/T and 8.75.
They have one application for 70/71 and it is 48.96
They list 7260 joints on that
But that shaft would have the large slip-yoke on it
It is pn2883760

Yup, it would be best to swap the entire driveline for the bigger stuff now.
Whatever the yoke on the rear end is match that.
Could be a 7260 or 7290 either one I think, but specs can be found for them all over the net.

Now all he has to do is pick a measurement out of the posts. :D
There's no way I would do it without my own measurements.
No offense.

FYI Galen's book does not list all the drive shaft options for cars. He cherry picked

I have a balanced drive shaft that I used in my 71 Duster with that setup. I used it for a mock up. Had it balanced with new U Joints. Its for sale if interested.

the OP asked for the length on his combo. size of joints. whats wrong with him doing the math and then seeing whats out there used/new? one size in most cases does not fit all. i think a little home work in this case is in order. it would suck to buy and not fit? is the car assembled and ready to measure the driveline or just getting guesstimates. weight of ride, pinnion angle, play into the equation.

I have a balanced drive shaft that I used in my 71 Duster with that setup. I used it for a mock up. Had it balanced with new U Joints. Its for sale if interested.
Actually I would be interested, how much are you asking and would you be willing to ship it, cause I'm sure we're not in the same area?

Hey I can measure it today. I actually had it in my 71 Duster 340 with a 904 and 8 3/4. Fit was nice.

after remeasuring the existing drive shaft in the Demon with 360/904 and 8 3/4 it is 48 7/8 inches.....plus I have an extra driveshaft for the car and it measures the same...

-
Back