Dropped Off My Short Block At The Machine Shop

-

dart4forte

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Finally found a shop to do my short block. Currently he’s two weeks before he can get to it. Did research on this shop, it’s a mom and pop shop, been building motors for 40 years and he’s a Mopar guy.

Certainly hope your machine shop is better than the one I used in Davie, Florida, that had a name derived from Australia. Spent nearly $3000 there for parts and labor of block and heads, and had to have the majority of the work re-done. Seems Mopar engines are a little different, so best to use a Mopar expert from the beginning. I eventually did that.

maching of blocks is same for all same with heads, the boring bar and hone can't tell the difference. only difference is valve seat angles, some guys are stuck on only one brand of engine, i find they will not do a good job on other brands. thats not right. to me they are the same. just food for thought,

Give them the parts you are having them machine for. I found that numbering the pistons to the cylinders and having them honed individually gets a better fit. Not all parts are machined to the same tolerance. This is the last chance to get the fit correct.

I gave him all the cleaned parts. I scored a set of cut down forged slugs from a member here. Also, using lightweight pins. They just need a little polishing. All he has to do is give the block one final bath in the hot tank and do one last cleaning. I went through and dressed up all the sharp edges as well as chase all the threads. He was surprised have someone drop off something that clean. He said normally he gets total grease balls. I think I have his respect where he will do an extract special attention to detain job.

-
Back